Sign in to follow this  
jeffmx

vhf radio

jeffmx

I was wondering if anybody has a VHF radio , and if so where its mounted.

Hman442

When I was a kid our TV was VHF. Biggrin.gif It was mounted on the living room floor. Hope this helps.

Edited by Hman442

jeffmx
When I was a kid our TV was VHF. Biggrin.gif It was mounted on the living room floor. Hope this helps.

:lol:

I hope you know I am talking about a marine vhf radio!

I don't see a tv on the boat any time soon. Maybe the truck, but not the boat.

Pistol Pete

I have a 5W handheld. I think it's the most versatile unit.

In fact, I have 2 of the same units. It beats wiring and mounting an ant. for something you probably won't use much.

Pete USA.gif

jeffmx
I have a 5W handheld. I think it's the most versatile unit.

In fact, I have 2 of the same units. It beats wiring and mounting an ant. for something you probably won't use much.

Pete USA.gif

Good call.

In the Delta, I could definatley see a need for it, but at the lake, probably not...

Pistol Pete

The delta is the only reason I bought a handheld GPS. I also bought two really good maps of the delta.

Pete USA.gif

jeffmx
The delta is the only reason I bought a handheld GPS. I also bought two really good maps of the delta.

Pete USA.gif

The maps are essential. Where do you launch at?

Hman442

Ya, I knew what you meant. I have been reading the jokes on the other thread so Sarcasm won out when I started typing. :lol:

jeffmx
Ya, I knew what you meant. I have been reading the jokes on the other thread so Sarcasm won out  when I started typing. :lol:

No worrys!

Pistol Pete

Luckily, I haven't had to go there in about two years. It's hard to keep a white boat white in that water. I also prefer weekend long trips and usually go to McClure and other lakes. I've launched out of Orwood, but mostly, River's end.

jeffmx
Luckily, I haven't had to go there in about two years. It's hard to keep a white boat white in that water. I also prefer weekend long trips and usually go to McClure and other lakes. I've launched out of Orwood, but mostly, River's end.

We go there for the quick trips... I live in Concord so its close.-try to avoid the crowds, and rough water.

I am a big fan of McClure... one of our best houseboat trips was there.

Pistol Pete

Cool,

I actually try to make a point to visit as many differnt lakes as possible during the summer. My absolute favorite is Bullard's Bar. But, with a 6 hr. drive one way, oh yeah, and those pirannah ;-)

jeffmx
Cool,

I actually try to make a point to visit as many differnt lakes as possible during the summer. My absolute favorite is Bullard's Bar. But, with a 6 hr. drive one way, oh yeah, and those pirannah ;-)

We do the same thing.. One lake I have never been to is Pedro, and that will be one of our first trips this year..

Pistol Pete

I'll give you some adive on DP.

Stay on the North end of the lake. Try not to go on a major holiday weekend.

whiteVLX

You need a VHF to go through the locks on Lake Union in Seattle as well.

Pistol Pete

Soooo,

Back to the original thread topic....

If you're gonna buy handhelds, you want to spend about $150. That way you're getting quality.

WakeAndSno

Pete, which 5watt model do you have?

In my sunsetter, I had a very small VHF unit tie-wrapped to the steering mechanism under the dash, and mounted a 3 ft whip antenna at the top of my tower... I used it once.

Where I live now, I'll need it much more - especially to yell at the 50' sportfishing yachts going 30 knots down the intercoastal waterway with a 6 ft wake, while we are loading up a boarder...

JZ

LS-One

In my sunsetter, I had a very small VHF unit tie-wrapped to the steering mechanism under the dash, and mounted a 3 ft whip antenna at the top of my tower...  I used it once.

Where I live now, I'll need it much more - especially to yell at the 50' sportfishing yachts going 30 knots down the intercoastal waterway  with a 6 ft wake, while we are loading up a boarder...

JZ

Is the waterway really rideable ?

is rideable a word?

jeffmx

:lol:

Hijacked my own thread...

I am going to West Marine today to check out the hand helds.

You could probably put it in the cup holder, right next to the Ipod..

martho

I posted this before on the old site, but in an effort to add valuable content over here, I will link you again.

Here is a site where you can get some pricing info. It is a ham radio geek store, however they sell marine stuff, too. They usually offer the best pricing around.

Amateur Electronic Supply

Actually there is another one.

Ham Radio Outlet

These are the two biggest stores in the nerd radio community. You will have no problems if your order from either place.

Edited by martho

WakeAndSno

In my sunsetter, I had a very small VHF unit tie-wrapped to the steering mechanism under the dash, and mounted a 3 ft whip antenna at the top of my tower...  I used it once.

Where I live now, I'll need it much more - especially to yell at the 50' sportfishing yachts going 30 knots down the intercoastal waterway  with a 6 ft wake, while we are loading up a boarder...

JZ

Is the waterway really rideable ?

is rideable a word?

Sure. There are some good creeks that head off from the waterway too. There isn't THAT much traffic - its not like South Florida for sure - and no Manatee zones either ;)

JZ

Pistol Pete

JZ,

I have a pair of Hummingbirds. I don't reccommend them. I got what I paid for at Boater's World for about $90.

Martho,

Didn't we talk about how good Icon was? I couldn't think of the name the other day. Or was it a similar name?

Sunsetter95

You can probably get a soft radio holder that you can mount on the side panel under the dash. That way you have it, it's out of the way, and the cup holder is free for your favorite beverage.