Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gopro

thealy

Does anyone have experience capturing Water Skiing video with a GoPro? What about mounting it directly to the top of the swivel pylon, would it track the skier? Also how about mounting it to the ski, rope, turn buoy or chest? I assume using the GoPro float would be advisable in any mountain location. Also is it worth the extra $100 to go with the HD Hero2 model? I received the HD Hero for Christmas and am contemplating upgrading to the Hero2. Thanks in advance.

The lens on a GoPro is a wide angle so the skier is going to be too far away to get much of an image. It can be done, but the guy will be like 1/4" tall on the big screen.

The best shots I've gotten from it are from the chest mount.... great first person POV & very stable.

Not sure what the advantages of the H2 are. But I'd bet there are comparisons online out there.

Get the 2..... There is a setting on the 2 that allows less wide angle ( fish eye ) video to be taken and surprisingly the video from the boat ( GoPro on a 4ft pole ) isn't too bad. Certainly not close but a lot better than the #1 .

Better photo quality - Choose between 11, 8 or 5 MP

Burst mode is 10 photos in 1 second

Download the Hero2 manual from GoPro web site and have a read

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

How do you attach it to the rope so it stays upright? Picture of the set up??

Use some pvc(2') in front of the handle and mount the go pro there. Some I've seen, you thread the rope through the pvc and use duck tape to lock in the location.

Does anyone have experience capturing Water Skiing video with a GoPro? What about mounting it directly to the top of the swivel pylon, would it track the skier? Also how about mounting it to the ski, rope, turn buoy or chest? I assume using the GoPro float would be advisable in any mountain location. Also is it worth the extra $100 to go with the HD Hero2 model? I received the HD Hero for Christmas and am contemplating upgrading to the Hero2. Thanks in advance.

Not sure if you have done anything yet about updating or not? But I got to get out this weekend and play with my Hero2 with a buddy that has a 1080 Hero HD, they are both new cameras and I think we had the settings the same, SD cards were different brand but same class, he actually commented that the video looked a bit better from the Hero2 as soon as we started playing it. This was taking video then playing them right on the lap top we brought with us. The video from the Hero2 seemed to play better in his lap top also, so maybe it was just the SD card that was making the difference, although my card that was in the Hero2 is an old HP 4gig class 4, his is a new, (I think) Sandisk ultra 32 gig class 4, I would think his card would be as good as mine just because it was new, I've had the card for over a year. Take it for what its worth I guess because its not a true comparison of the cameras them self, I wish we had thought of putting the same card in both cameras :loser: !!

Off topic, what is everyone's pick of a good SD card? I am thinking the Lexar Platinum II 16gig 100x (class 6?) They have a two pac deal at Walmart, and Lexar seems to be an ok brand?

Sorry for the Hijak

Edited by mainekneeboarder

I have a rigid triangle shaped carbon handle. The rope slides inside the pvc. one end of the pvc is duct taped to the handle, which you can see pretty well in this last vid. For the camera mount, I'm using the gopro tripod mount rigged up to a home made tripod mount I made with a pvc tee and a 1/4" nut. I had some pics up on wakeworld, but they were deleted. I'll see if I can find them at home.

It has to be a pretty tight mount to with stand getting up. That is an awesome picture!!

The suction cup mounts are tight and the 3m adhesive mounts aren't going anywhere.

The camera is small enough that there isn't much resistance.

I have a rigid triangle shaped carbon handle. The rope slides inside the pvc. one end of the pvc is duct taped to the handle, which you can see pretty well in this last vid. For the camera mount, I'm using the gopro tripod mount rigged up to a home made tripod mount I made with a pvc tee and a 1/4" nut. I had some pics up on wakeworld, but they were deleted. I'll see if I can find them at home.

How well does the camera hold up on a fallen skier? I assume the driver is playing very close attention.

The suction cup mounts are tight and the 3m adhesive mounts aren't going anywhere.

The camera is small enough that there isn't much resistance.

That is until they do let go and your camera is at the bottom of the lake. Believe me. the 3M VHB WILL let go, as will the suction cup mount. If you run either, be sure to either leash your camera to something, or attach a float that is sufficient to float the camera with the mount attached to it (which is going to be a pretty big float for the suction cup mount because it's relatively heavy).

I've got video examples of losing both mounts from a snowboard. The suction cup will start to "skate" around if water gets under it. It's awesome for filming surfing from the transom, but I wouldn't trust it for a second suctioned to a board.

Edited by shawndoggy

How well does the camera hold up on a fallen skier? I assume the driver is playing very close attention.

What do you mean? In my setup the camera is bolted to the pvc handle. Driver doesn't need to do anything that she wouldn't already be doing (i.e. don't run over rope, don't run over rider).

What do you mean? In my setup the camera is bolted to the pvc handle. Driver doesn't need to do anything that she wouldn't already be doing (i.e. don't run over rope, don't run over rider).

Rope and camera are being dragged in the water when a skier falls down. Wonder how much punishment it can take being dragged?

Rope and camera are being dragged in the water when a skier falls down. Wonder how much punishment it can take being dragged?

It'll take quite a bit of punishment. Well so far... it hasn't broken or fallen off yet.

I found this guy's ski mount vid:

He must have an earlier version or he needs some guidance about how to encode his video, because it looks awful, but you get the idea about where it's mounted on his ski.

Also here's a fuller clip of my mount. It's long and boring, but at about 1:57 you can see what happens when you let go of the handle @ wakeboard speeds.

• 1 month later...

Shawn-

Did you ever find the pics of the mount?

I made one of these as well...fed the rope through PVC, duct tape at handle, and u can use the handle bar mount or roll bar mount to mount the camera, I already had the roll bar mount and it worked well

no but I have a few boat projects to work on in the next couple weeks, so when I'm up at the boat I'll try to remember to snap some pics. It's a total redneck solution (complete with camo duct tape).

We have them mounted on a Radar slalom using adhesive mount...run course @36mph 35' off without any problems. When skier falls the camera shifts but easy to readjust before hittin it again. Also use the chesty mount.

I have both the original Hero and the Hero 2. The Hero 2 definitely has some added features and better quality, but the original is pretty darn good. Unless you haven't opened the box and can return/exchange I would just stick with the original for now and if you find yourself using it a lot buy a Hero2 or wait and see what they come out with next year. I bought the 2 because my warranty was up on the 1 and I had one of the plastic screw tabs fail while surfing in Nicaragua last year. It was either new housing or new camera, I saw this as an excuse for the camera...

As for mounting to any ski/board, I'd recommend always having a leash. I used rubbing alcohol, a clamp, and some heat to put a 3m adhesive mount on my snowboard, it lasted 2 runs till the vibration knocked it off. I met a guy on a lift at Breck who had a nice extendable monopod with the camera mounted to it, it could extend anywhere from like 2-8ft and he said he only paid $10 for it at Walmart. PVC works great too, but the monopod seemed very versatile.

Edited by sp0tts