Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dpdt 7 Pin Switch Install To Run (2) 800 Pirhana Pumps

wdr

I just installed a new stand alone 1100lb add a bag system on my LSV and thought I would share the Dual Pole Dual Throw 7 pin switch pin ID's. This switch does not reverse the polarity like a Jabsco pump set up! Looking at the back of the switch it is numbered & marked on the left side from top to bottom 1/2/3 and on the right 7/4/5/6. Pin 1- DRAIN pump ground (-) wire, Pin 2- MAIN ground for switch to ground buss bar, Pin 3- FILL pump ground (-) wire. Pin 7- power for SWITCH lights to power (+) source, Pin 4- DRAIN pump power (+) wire, Pin 5- MAIN power (+) wire to power source, Pin 6- FILL pump power (+) wire. (Note) the rocker switch position DRN/FILL does not correspond to the Pin positions, they are opposite. Hope this saves someone some guess work. Bill

• 2 weeks later...

(Note) the rocker switch position DRN/FILL does not correspond to the Pin positions, they are opposite. Hope this saves someone some guess work. Bill

Are you saying that your sac drains when you hit 'fill'? I am not sure what you mean.

There was not a diagram that came with my switch, but I googled and found one online that got me on the right track the first time.

TRR, I found the Single Pole Dual Throw (SPDT) diagrams all over different sites, but not one for the 7 pin DPDT switch so I had to pull out the multi-meter and do some research. The comment about the switch positions was for those of us (myself included) not too familiar with electrical switches. A normal person would assume that when you push the switch to the "FILL" position that the contact pins under the FILL label would be the pins in use. For this switch that isn't the case they are on the opposite sides of the switch which is probably the industry standard but I don't have that much experience wiring stuff. Sorry if I wasn't too clear on that. Bill

TRR, I found the Single Pole Dual Throw (SPDT) diagrams all over different sites, but not one for the 7 pin DPDT switch so I had to pull out the multi-meter and do some research. The comment about the switch positions was for those of us (myself included) not too familiar with electrical switches. A normal person would assume that when you push the switch to the "FILL" position that the contact pins under the FILL label would be the pins in use. For this switch that isn't the case they are on the opposite sides of the switch which is probably the industry standard but I don't have that much experience wiring stuff. Sorry if I wasn't too clear on that. Bill

If you gently pop the switch apart, you can see how this is mechanically done. At that point, it will make sense why the bottom terminal is hot when filling and the top pin if hot when draining.

• 2 months later...

I thought I would add a nice diagram for a jabsco or Johnson reversible pump to this thread to have a nice tutorial. Most Malibu owners will already be familiar with the 2 pump version, and they can always check the wiring on one of their existing pumps if they have any questions.

To clarify what was said above, the tabs on the back of the switch are labeled:

post-13782-0-68686900-1332705016_thumb.j

The connect the switch and use it as a polarity reversing switch needed for Jabsco or Johnson impeller style pumps, then you hook it up like this:

For Malibu owners, remember that you will not be able to use the power supply that is already there because it leads to a 5 amp breaker on most late models (at least that is true on my 06). An impeller style pump will draw more than that. Run a new wire directly to a power source and put a fuse inline. I have heard of people changing the wire to the power seat option or other unused breakers that have 20 amps rating. That seems like a reasonable option as well.

post-13782-0-77833600-1332705096_thumb.j

Edited by TallRedRider

And if you want the lights on the switch to work, you should connect the ground to the tab #7.

I was unable to find any succinct explanations and diagrams for a polarity reversing switch on this site, but this thread came up, and I thought it reasonable to piggyback it on here.

And I found a pic for your current Malibu standard 2 pump systems: But you still have to ground your pumps somewhere, so you can use 1 and 3 for that.

post-13782-0-70179300-1332705944_thumb.j

Edited by TallRedRider

If you ground the pumps through the switch (which is what we recommend, as most people will be using two conductor wire then you also need to ground the switch through pin 2.

If you ground the pumps through the switch (which is what we recommend, as most people will be using two conductor wire then you also need to ground the switch through pin 2.

I think it is reasonable to add this diagram. We need to post this to the How to articles so that it comes up when people search.

ballastsunami.jpgballastsunami.jpg

Definitely worth adding.

All of this info is also contained in our Resource/How-To Section, along with a lot of other good info in case someone is looking.