Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

RLXi owners... help me

martho

I would like to know what, if any, differences there are between the 2003 2004 2005 RLXi.

I know the windshield change from 03 - 04.

What else. Let's compile a list so shoppers can have a quick reference to review for future reference(and most importantly to help me right now :) )

Where's TR when you need him.

Issotta wheel/shift knob came out in 2004.

340 Monsoon in 2004 /335 Monsoon in 2003

JBL's in 2003 and Sony's in 2004

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

Edited by Madmanacrossthewater

If you are considering the Hammerhead option, in 2003 it was a Hammerhead 375 (375hp I think), 380 (380 hp) in 2004 and 383 (400 hp) in 2005 (and 2006). The 383 is probably a bit better than the others because it is a crate engine directly from GM as apposed to a souped up 350 and a fairly standard configuration (yes Indmar converted it into a marine engine of course).

Edited by thealy

2004 - RLXI decals moved further back on the hull

2005 - billet dash option

- ss cupholder option

2006 - Precision speed control standard

- new dash layout

- billet dash standard

- ss cupholders standard

That's all I can think of.

What changes did they make to the windshield for 2004?

-Trevor

One change I noticed when comparing the 2003 to 2005 RLXi was the location of the lumbar adjusting knob. On the 2003, it stuck out in the walk way and is a toe buster. No idea about it's placement on 2004 but the 2005 knob is located on the front of the seat on the front right corner, facing forward.

Other changes that came with 2004 were the across the board changes for Malibu - updated gauges, bigger throttle knob, big top of the pylon, etc.

FWIW - the 335 Monsoon pushes the RLXi exactly the same top end speed as the 340 Monsoon.

Geez-Louise, I own a RLXi and I don't have a clue about any of the differences that have been listed. I need to study or something, because I'm getting schooled! :(

I love my blue'bu though. Thumbup.gif

Geez-Louise, I own a RLXi and I don't have a clue about any of the differences that have been listed. I need to study or something, because I'm getting schooled! :(

I love my blue'bu though. Thumbup.gif

i think we have the same boat!

So, other than age, the boats are the same.

Just some options here and there.

Any reason not to buy a 2003? Any benefit to a 2006 other than age?

I don't see any major benifits to buying a 2006 over a 2003 other than age and options. I just bought my first Bu a few months ago. Its a 2003 RLXI, and I'm quite happy with it. Although buying a 2006 would have been nice, it was a little over my budget, and the price on the 2003 RLXI was just right. I'll probably upgrade to a new one in a few years. No matter which model year of the Response LXI you buy, you'll still be getting the best slalom boat on the planet! Yahoo.gif

-Trevor

I don't see any major benifits to buying a 2006 over a 2003 other than age and options. I just bought my first Bu a few months ago. Its a 2003 RLXI, and I'm quite happy with it. Although buying a 2006 would have been nice, it was a little over my budget, and the price on the 2003 RLXI was just right. I'll probably upgrade to a new one in a few years. No matter which model year of the Response LXI you buy, you'll still be getting the best slalom boat on the planet! Yahoo.gif

-Trevor

What he said. So, is it for you martho? Biggrin.gif

It'd be interesting to talk to some of the promo boat guys who have ridden in , behind, and driven all of them. Maybe one will weigh in. You might do a search on one of the RLXi promos for sale in the last few months and PM one of them. Let us know if you find out anything else and, most importantly, what you decide.

I think I can add something to this thread. I have an '03 and have driven all of the areas promo boats since '04. The difference to me is more from boat to boat than the difference from year to year. Of all the differences listed above, a comprehensive list, the only real player would be the windshield. It's my observation that the windshield on the '03 model isn't that big of deal to me, I can get in any of the boats and seat myself in a comfortable position to drive for several hours. At this point let me state that I don't think there is any difference in wake or pull due to year to year changes.

However, my 5'6" wife tells me that there is a signifigant difference from the windshield as she can't get comfortable in our boat and can in '04's and newer- and she has driven them all too. She can drive our boat but can't stay in the driver seat for hours on end. So, it's not that the windshield keeps her from giving a good ride but because she has to sit on one leg, she can only drive for limited periods of time.

The idea that my boat isn't as good as it could be is more upsetting to me than the actual windshield. If for some reason a big rock were to break my windshield, I would be happy to have the '04 version installed( they run $1500).

Martho, if you can get a 03 rlxi in a budget you have decided I would highly recommend it. It's the most capable boat out right now, the fun factor the boat has is off the scale.

...because she has to sit on one leg, she can only drive for limited periods of time...

Real quick Hi-Jack...

Skisix - We had the same problem with my wife in my Sporty. I got one of those square "throwable" PFD's and now she sits on that instead of her leg. Thumbup.gif Much more comfy.

Hi-Jack done. :)

I am just starting a search for a boat. As I have mentioned here before, I was really disgusted last year when I had a boat only get 40hrs put on it. We always used M3Fan or a MC buddy's boat and my 2001 RLX sat in the garage. I swore to myself that this year I would not tie up all the money into a boat which sat in the garage except for 15 times/year of use. M3Fan is buying a new boat as he sold his 90 SN and my buddy still has his MC PS190. I kicked around joining a local lake with a club boat and skiing a set schedule during the week. I kicked around the idea of mooching from M3Fan for the summer and paying his expenses plus bring gas (not gas money, gas) everytime. There have been many paths explored this winter. I ski with BarefootOz (he sold his boat, too and dont know about his replacement) and my cuz has a RLXi. I ski with those guys about 10 times/year total.

After the RLX went, I took a couple weeks and didnt even think about boats. I even skipped the boat show(more time restraints than not wanting to go) so I could start with a fresh perspective.

I never imagined moving to a RLXi as a reality, until Friday, and I am still searching Sportys and RLX, too.

Right now, it is still a search for a boat. Furthermore, I have not convinced myself I have to have one in 2006. As you can see, I am conflicted Dontknow.gif

Edited by martho
mbo post on 2003 rlxi

more

just more opinion

I read that back when I was searching for mine and now that I have 200 hrs in mine I think that report was very harsh. I can see where some of the remarks came from, the water over the side when "bat turning" is true but, I can power out of it and not drench the boat. The water over the bow when coming off plane is true but it also requires a full size adult and three kids up in the bow. My opinion of the wakes is the the RLXi's are softer and smaller the the RLX- the kids we pull in tournaments love the RLXi.

Again MArtho, I don't think you can go wrong. We went to the Denver boat show today and there wasn't a bu there for less than $48K.

Thanks for the tip Norcal, I've thought of that too and we carry one on the boat but I can't bring myself to bring out this old ratty bright red throw cushion when the rest of the boat looks so nice.

Do you not have the bolster?

Yes we do. With out the bolster seat she says she can't see over the dash, with the bolster she says she has to crouch down to see under the windshield or sit straight up to see over the windshield frame, and then get the blast of air.

Truth be told, I think she still wants her '94 MC and hasn't yet accepted the Bu. It's no fault of the 'bu just a lot of good times and memories in that boat.

She has said on numerous occasions after driving Maliboo's boats or some of the other 04 and 05 boats that seeing the course doesn't take as much effort.

It not something that stops her or keeps her from giving a good ride, just something that "she didn't have to deal with on the MC".

If you're not 5'6" and used to a '94 MC, then it's not going to be a problem. No one else has ever had any problem with it.

I would like to know what, if any, differences there are between the 2003 2004 2005 RLXi.

I know the windshield change from 03 - 04.

What else. Let's compile a list so shoppers can have a quick reference to review for future reference(and most importantly to help me right now :) )

The biggest change is that the MSRP is up by about $5,500 since '03. Ouch.

Do you not have the bolster?

Yes we do. With out the bolster seat she says she can't see over the dash, with the bolster she says she has to crouch down to see under the windshield or sit straight up to see over the windshield frame, and then get the blast of air.

Truth be told, I think she still wants her '94 MC and hasn't yet accepted the Bu. It's no fault of the 'bu just a lot of good times and memories in that boat.

She has said on numerous occasions after driving Maliboo's boats or some of the other 04 and 05 boats that seeing the course doesn't take as much effort.

It not something that stops her or keeps her from giving a good ride, just something that "she didn't have to deal with on the MC".

If you're not 5'6" and used to a '94 MC, then it's not going to be a problem. No one else has ever had any problem with it.

I see what you mean now. At least TR isn't here to pile on. :lol: