Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Check My Wiring Please

Murphy8166

I am making a couple small changes to the stereo this year, mainly doubling the amount of power to the sub woofer. While I had the amp rack out and everything dissembled, I added a couple terminal blocks to clean the wiring up and make all power and ground terminate at one point each.

I also wanted to isolate the stereo from having to power up the electronics of the boat. The goal was to be able to flip on battery switch, hit the power button on the Fosgate controller without having to fire up the MaliVue or any boat electronics. To do this, I relocated the ignition wire on the blackbox to a source that would be hot when the batteries were flipped on.

So here goes.

The power, ground and ignition wires from the black box go into the Big Blue Sea Terminal Block. The remote turn on lead from the black box goes into the relay and another blue wire from the relay goes to the small terminal strip. The three wires on the terminal strip go to each amplifier. The power and ground for the relay go to the Big Blue Sea Terminal Block. The Big Blue Sea Terminal Block has blue and grey power and ground going to the bigger chrome terminal blocks. I am going to add a fuse of the 12v + constant wire between the Black Box and the Big Blue Sea Terminal Block.

I also plan to run some 10 awg power and ground around the front of the boat that will come from the Big Blue Sea Terminal BLock and end on smaller terminal block underneath the dash. Here i will hook up my Audiocontrol 3.2 and Ipod Charger.

I may just shut down the Black Box completely and run everything from the AC 3.2. I will have to put a switch in for the AC unit and also run a remote wire from the AC to relay on the amp rack. I would also disco the remote lead for the black box.

Anyone see any problems.

photo9.jpg

photo8.jpg

I know im posting against the new forum rules, but something doesnt look right about how the relay is wired.

terminal #

85 = Blue wire from head-unit

86 = Ground BUSS

30 = Orange wire from your B+ BUSS

87 = Should be the feed for the remote turn-on BUSS.

Your orange B= and the purple feed to the remote turn-on BUSS look to be around the corner from each other instead of across from each other. The blue remote turn-on from the head unit looks to be across from the orange and the ground from the BUSS looks to be across from the purple. May just be the way it looks in the pic, but worth double checking before you put the amp rack into place.

I know im posting against the new forum rules, but something doesnt look right about how the relay is wired.

terminal #

86 = Ground BUSS

Your orange B= and the purple feed to the remote turn-on BUSS look to be around the corner from each other instead of across from each other. The blue remote turn-on from the head unit looks to be across from the orange and the ground from the BUSS looks to be across from the purple. May just be the way it looks in the pic, but worth double checking before you put the amp rack into place.

Let's take this offline, I think you are right and will send you a PM with my understanding of how this needs to be hooked up.

terminal #

86 = Ground BUSS

Enthusiasts post of the day.

Agree...one Member helping another! :rockon:

I think that it would be really nice if the moderators could get together again and come up with some guidelines as to how a vendor can conduct themselves in a forum in their industry.

Maybe if we all act like gentleman and prove to the moderators that we can respect everyone and every brand....they might allow a little leniency towards some of the things we would like to have back such as quality vendors who know their stuff!

You got my pledge that I will be respectful of all in 2012!

terminal #

86 = Ground BUSS

enthusiast post!

I actually got it right!!

MLA sent me this PM - I figured I'd post it so that it could be used for future questions regarding relays.

"Your closeup is much better. As expected, it was how it looked in the first pic. You got it right. And the diag in the link is correct as well. 85 and 86 are always the coil and do not actually have polariaty. They can be interchanged. Same with 87 and 30. They are for the B= and load, and can also be interchanged. If its a 5 pin relay, then it has a pin 87A. 87A is NC (normally closed), and would have B+ on it (linked to pin 30) until the coil is energized."

Mike

MLA sent me this PM - I figured I'd post it so that it could be used for future questions regarding relays.

"Your closeup is much better. As expected, it was how it looked in the first pic. You got it right. And the diag in the link is correct as well. 85 and 86 are always the coil and do not actually have polariaty. They can be interchanged. Same with 87 and 30. They are for the B= and load, and can also be interchanged. If its a 5 pin relay, then it has a pin 87A. 87A is NC (normally closed), and would have B+ on it (linked to pin 30) until the coil is energized."

Mike

That's some mighty fine information that the whole crew could use.

Thanks, Murphy, for taking the time to cut and paste that good info.

Here are some more close up pics on the terminal block and the relay. I think I have it set up right based on a couple diagrams I found online.

photo15.jpg

In this photo, why doesn't the blue on the right need to be connected to all three blue on the left? Or are they connected with what looks like a brass "foldover" between the sets?

Edited by Soon2BV

In this photo, why doesn't the blue on the right need to be connected to all three blue on the left? Or are they connected with what looks like a brass "foldover" between the sets?

Those brass foldovers are the jumpers that connect everything.

Mike

Just for the record, Murphy contacted me first :innocent::thumbup: