Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine Cover Hinges

Merry Christmas to all.

I have got a 2007 Iride. It appears whoever had it before me has fabricated something to replace the original attacment of the hinge that attaches the engine cover to the hull (see picture). Anyhow, a pretty shoddy job with screws holding the pipe in place stripping out of hull. I am thinking how to replace it with something a bit better. Maysome some stainless steel plates anchoring a stainless steel bridge to which the hinges could be attached.

I was hoping someone could describe how the hinges are attached in the original boat design.. pictures would be awesome!! Failing that any thoughts would be great. I am no boating or DIY whiz so feel free to be as patronising as you want :)

Thanks

IMG_0368.JPG?w=312b5d45

I would head into your local hardware store and see what they have as far as bar stock. I don't believe ours has stainless bar stock (it would be pretty expensive), but I know they stock aluminum up to 1/4" thick. I would pick up a piece of that and cut it to fit between your stringers. Drill holes and use the appropriate side hardware to secure it to the stringers. After your happy with that you can remove it and drill the holes for your hinges. I would use machine screws and lock nuts to secure the hinges to the bar stock and you should be set. Thumbup.gif

Lloyd, if it's anything like my 2005 RLXi (and the arrangement on yours looks very similar to mine) the original material used between the stringers was a piece of aluminium square section carpeted tube. I have seen a (then new) 2004 RLXi where the screws had pulled out of the stringers - not sure what the warranty fix was but one possibility is filling the original screw holes with epoxy and re-drilling and screwing.

I've just submitted an engine cover hinge repair article in the 'how-to' section. I imagine it will be approved and published in the next day or so. One or two of the images show the original arrangement on mine and may be useful to you. In my case, the bolts through the actual engine cover had pulled out but the stringer screws are OK.

Have to say, the material in yours looks to me like a piece of 1" stainless tube or similar and is not very finely crafted...

Hope you get it sorted.

Stephen.

Edited by GreenMan

Lloyd, if it's anything like my 2005 RLXi (and the arrangement on yours looks very similar to mine) the original material used between the stringers was a pice of aluminium square section carpeted tube. I have seen a (then new) 2004 RLXi where the screws had pulled out of the stringers - not sure what the warranty fix was but one possibility is filling the original screw holes with epoxy and re-drilling and screwing.

I've just submitted an engine cover hinge repair article in the 'how-to' section. I imagine it will be approved and published in the next day or so. One or two of the images show the original arrangement on mine and may be useful to you. In my case, the bolts through the actual engine cover had pulled out but the stringer screws are OK.

Have to say, the material in yours looks to me like a piece of 1" stainless tube or similar and is not very finely crafted...

Hope you get it sorted.

Stephen.

Yeah, a couple of my screws stripped out this season. At year end, I simply drilled through that square brace, and through bolted w/ ss hardware.