Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anybody Try Hlcd's In A Rlxi Dash?

robtr8

Just thinking out of the box. Given the RLXI doesn't lend itself to multiple in-boat drivers like the wake boats and given you can't achieve enough db with "conventional" drivers in the dash...

Having an Hlcd driver on the dash like that makes me think of the yosemite sam cartoon where the stick of dynamite blows up in his face.

I don't think anybody would recommend sitting right in front of even the most sq oriented Hlcd driver.

I really can't imagine why anyone would want to put a speaker designed to project sound at long distances right in front of a windshield. Seems counter productive. Think SUPER HIGH BOUNCING BALLS from the grocery store coin-op machine.

Having an Hlcd driver on the dash like that makes me think of the Yosemite sam cartoon where the stick of dynamite blows up in his face.

I don't think anybody would recommend sitting right in front of even the most sq oriented Hlcd driver.

Actually that's exactly where I got the idea. After we got shut down I had to get my stereo fix elsewhere and discovered DIYMA. There are SQL HLCD builds that seem to do well. Without a doubt it would need some active X-over and EQ action. I've listened to the KM6500.2's at a moderate level while standing on the swim platform and they actually sound pretty good. One of my local shops has Altec Lansing 500 series horns and JBL 15's as the shop sound. It rocks.

Anyway just a thought.

Actually that's exactly where I got the idea. After we got shut down I had to get my stereo fix elsewhere and discovered DIYMA. There are SQL HLCD builds that seem to do well. Without a doubt it would need some active X-over and EQ action. I've listened to the KM6500.2's at a moderate level while standing on the swim platform and they actually sound pretty good. One of my local shops has Altec Lansing 500 series horns and JBL 15's as the shop sound. It rocks.

Anyway just a thought.

apples and oranges. the horns you are reading about on diyma ARE sq oriented, not designed to project sound 80' behind a boat. the horns themselves are also very very long. They look nothing like a marine hlcd driver. they just aren't the same thing.

Edited by shawndoggy

I've seen HLCD's in the cabin of a boat before but.. it was a go-fast boat and they were NOT in the dash. They were Image Dynamic and they were set up as separates with the compression driver and a huge mid. It was crazy looking but apperently it worked. Guess when you've got dual 502's in a boat you need all you can get.

With that said they were also not in the dash and not a coaxially mounted speaker either. You won't be able to do a coaxially mounted HLCD in the dash due to the mounting depth issue. So unless you just wanted to stuff a compression driver in the dash (which would sound like poo) I don't think there is much hope for that particular mounting location.