Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Dash Speakers(Sans Windshield Removal Project)

CT99ResponseLX

Rookie Audio

Im looking at the Polk DB651's as an upgrade from the stock junk thats still in my 99 Response. 2 things holding me back, not real keen on the stupid chrome grills/ covers, and i would love a speaker that i could install in the dash without removing the windshield. Ive got a new Kenwood head unit that i liked and bought, and i plan to plug in a 10" infinity bass link and amp the four main speakers. nothing serious.

Questions:

Are there high quality speakers that will replace the stock dash speakers without removing the windshield?

I was considering a 400watt marine sub for the db651's is that enough or too much?

What wattage and ohms should i consider for amping the 4 speakers?

If the db651's or polk slims will work has anyone sanded and painted the grills?

Are there wiring kits that will cover me for the above plans?

Thanks

They will fit with out removing the window its a tight fit but can be done

Have to get a small right angle screw driver after that its easy

had polk mm in mine until I upgraded again .

The polk mm series have black grills

But yes you can sand them and paint them

On the amp depends on if its a four channel of two channel

If its a four channel you need 75 watts rms x 4 at 4 ohm

Or two channel you would be running each set at 2 ohm and 75 to 150 watts

I was running the polk mm at 150 watts at 2 ohm rms

Edited by my malibu

Rookie Audio

Im looking at the Polk DB651's as an upgrade from the stock junk thats still in my 99 Response. 2 things holding me back, not real keen on the stupid chrome grills/ covers, and i would love a speaker that i could install in the dash without removing the windshield. Ive got a new Kenwood head unit that i liked and bought, and i plan to plug in a 10" infinity bass link and amp the four main speakers. nothing serious.

Questions:

Are there high quality speakers that will replace the stock dash speakers without removing the windshield?

I was considering a 400watt marine sub for the db651's is that enough or too much?

What wattage and ohms should i consider for amping the 4 speakers?

If the db651's or polk slims will work has anyone sanded and painted the grills?

Are there wiring kits that will cover me for the above plans?

Thanks

I owned a 97 sunsetter so I am going to guess that we had the same windshield. I most certainly had to remove my windshield to get the screw out that held the speaker in. Even when trying a right angle screw driver there was not enough clearance to get those forward screws.

Removing the windshield is not hard to do at all. In this case, it might be worth your time to loosen up the windshield and get the speakers in there right the first time.

As far as repainting, that is easy. Go and get a red scotch brite pad and scuff them up real well. Clean em, put down an adhesion promoter and then shoot em with paint. Bulldog adhesion promoter is what the body shop guys use when painting plastics on an auto.

We could all use a windshield removal write-up. I've heard from several people that it's not that big of a deal to do, but it sure seems daunting looking at all that glass.

I don't think that you have to remove any of the glass on a 99, which IMO is what makes it easy. There is a channel in the aluminum on the part of the windshield frame that has foam padding in it to conceal the screws that hold the complete windshield assembly to the deck of the boat.

If this is the case, you can unscrew about 8 screws and undo the support connecting the windshield to the dash, then just lift off the whole piece.

I have also pulled each piece of glass out....not fun, but doable. They key to that one is a spray bottle of soapy water to get the rubber weatherstripping to play nice. 13 year old weatherstripping is set in it's ways!!

I owned a 97 sunsetter so I am going to guess that we had the same windshield. I most certainly had to remove my windshield to get the screw out that held the speaker in. Even when trying a right angle screw driver there was not enough clearance to get those forward screws.

Removing the windshield is not hard to do at all. In this case, it might be worth your time to loosen up the windshield and get the speakers in there right the first time.

As far as repainting, that is easy. Go and get a red scotch brite pad and scuff them up real well. Clean em, put down an adhesion promoter and then shoot em with paint. Bulldog adhesion promoter is what the body shop guys use when painting plastics on an auto.

Correct...not that hard, just need another set of hands. they are usually some through bolts, not just screws from the top so you have to get a wrench on a nut.

I tried 2 different setups,(right angle screw drivers). Def not getting anything in between the glass and those screws. The windshield is comng off for sure. I pulled the gasket out and it looks pretty simple. As we say a 10 minute job.

Does anyone have pics of there amp and powered sub wiring runs in an older response, im looking for suggestions on where to put everything?

Thanks

Windshield is more like 2 minutes each side. Use portable impact with a new bit so you don't mess up the soft stainless heads. The one pan head fastener in each corner is a thru bolt so you'll need a body underneath for that. The one fastener in the end on top of the frame can be a bit tricky with the tower in the way. I used a combination of a stubby screwdriver and an extra long bit on the impact.