Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tower Speaker Bracket?

LiquidCourage

Guys-

I have a 2003 lsv with the X tower. I have 4 Exile SXT65 speakers mounted on each side, but due to the size, the top speaker does not "clear" the bottom one. There seems to be a large amount of sound "bouncing" back into the cabin. I have small children in the boat and don't want to damage their hearing. I saw what looks like a shelf on the new towers that the speakers mount on. Does anyone know if this would fit on the old tower? Would XM7's or 9's work better? Thanks for the help!

To clarify -- 4 sxt65s on each side (8 total) and you are worried about it being too loud in the boat?

And this is on an illusion x tower?

Sorry- 2 on each side. Started with one on each side, when the second was added, it became extremely loud- even in the driver and passenger seat. Haven't noticed it in other boats with speakers that are more spread out.

Sorry- 2 on each side. Started with one on each side, when the second was added, it became extremely loud- even in the driver and passenger seat. Haven't noticed it in other boats with speakers that are more spread out.

I know that Exile does have their own brackets so you might want to give them a call or go to their website.

As far as the extremely loud - the cure for that is the volume control. If you are wanting isolate the tower speaker volume could always add a PAC unit or step up to an EQ that will allow you to control the towers and other speakers in the boat.

The good news is, your problem is easily solveable and you do have some choices as to how you want to tackle it.

I know that Exile does have their own brackets so you might want to give them a call or go to their website.

As far as the extremely loud - the cure for that is the volume control. If you are wanting isolate the tower speaker volume could always add a PAC unit or step up to an EQ that will allow you to control the towers and other speakers in the boat.

The good news is, your problem is easily solveable and you do have some choices as to how you want to tackle it.

Thanks for the replies- I should ask both of your opinions- would you expect the speakers to project sound forward in the cabin? This is the reflecting that I am referring to.

The illusion x tower (and forward sweeping towers generally) aren't the best for tower speakers. The speakers are mounted low and forward in the cabin relative to more traditional tower designs. I know some people have tried to address this by taking speakers off of the traditional tower mounting points and mounting them to the crossbar hoop, Mickey Mouse Ears style.

gallery_28_42_2809.jpg

Of course if you do that, you have to figure out what to do about the bimini, so it's not an easy solution, but it's an option.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/topic/31773-mickey-mouse-ears/

The SXT's are the surf speakers and that speaker is designed to sound great in and around the boat. They are going to be loud in and around the boat.

When you say project sound foward - do you mean into the bow of the boat? They should not be as loud in bow if the speakers are facing the rest of the boat.

The SXT's are the surf speakers and that speaker is designed to sound great in and around the boat. They are going to be loud in and around the boat.

When you say project sound foward - do you mean into the bow of the boat? They should not be as loud in bow if the speakers are facing the rest of the boat.

This is my first Malibu, so I was used to a conventional tower/set up. When I say that sound is "projecting", it is just much louder than what I was used to, and seemed to be amplified when the second pair were added. Do you think I would get the same sound for wakeboarding out of one pair of 7's or 9's?

I have considered mounting to the bar, but was unsure about running the wire. I didn't want to drill the holes and find out that I couldn't run wire.

Thanks for all the help!

Guys-

I have a 2003 lsv with the X tower. I have 4 Exile SXT65 speakers mounted on each side, but due to the size, the top speaker does not "clear" the bottom one. There seems to be a large amount of sound "bouncing" back into the cabin. I have small children in the boat and don't want to damage their hearing. I saw what looks like a shelf on the new towers that the speakers mount on. Does anyone know if this would fit on the old tower? Would XM7's or 9's work better? Thanks for the help!

Hey Liquid can you confirm that you don't have this tower on your boat?

2003_brochure.pdf

No, that is not my tower. Tried to upload a pic, but couldn't.

When you were posting this response I saw your Avatar pic LOL.

Indeed you don't have that tower. So on the Illusion X tower ALL tower speakers will overlap some in the stock mounting locations, it's the angle of the forward swoop. That and the speakers sit really low compared to the passengers in the boat. One thing that would help your situation and be $0 out of pocket (other than some small wiring supplies) is moving the lower speaker location to the crossbar. This will help with some of the issues you are describing. I've done it on my last boat and it works good, not to hard to do either. An HLCD speaker like the XM7 and XM9 will not help your situation in the boat. Before you went the HLCD route I'd try that, because if you did go the HLCD route you'd definitely want to do that.

Edit: Forgot to add there is no bracket for the Illusion X or XS tower only the G3.

Edited by Bobby Light

Indeed you don't have that tower. So on the Illusion X tower ALL tower speakers will overlap some in the stock mounting locations, it's the angle of the forward swoop. That and the speakers sit really low compared to the passengers in the boat. One thing that would help your situation and be $0 out of pocket (other than some small wiring supplies) is moving the lower speaker location to the crossbar. This will help with some of the issues you are describing. I've done it on my last boat and it works good, not to hard to do either. An HLCD speaker like the XM7 and XM9 will not help your situation in the boat. Before you went the HLCD route I'd try that, because if you did go the HLCD route you'd definitely want to do that.

Edit: Forgot to add there is no bracket for the Illusion X or XS tower only the G3.

Excellent! Thanks for the post- that all makes sense- Looks like I have my spring project!

great answer! Rockon.gif

Use the wet sounds bracket they offer for the MB-8 and Pro 80's. It moves one speaker down and back to make enough room for Pro 80's to clear each other. I have them on mine, I am sure with 6.5's they will move the speakers far enough apart to fix this problem.

Edited by MLBurns