Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Integration Of Sub And Heater Outlets

shawndoggy

I know that there are pics out there. I'm looking to build a base that my sub will sit on. The base will be high enough to run a heater out let under and face it up underneath the sub. Help?

Like this?

sortof... but not integrated with a factory kick panel. The whole kit and kaboodle will be refaced with a new panel. More along the lines of the earmark install murphy linked to... but I'd like to see the finished product.

sortof... but not integrated with a factory kick panel. The whole kit and kaboodle will be refaced with a new panel. More along the lines of the earmark install murphy linked to... but I'd like to see the finished product.

Shawn - give me about a week and I will take as many pic's of mine as you want so you can get a good idea of how it is built and how it works.

You'll be pleased with liljohns pics then, he's done exactly what you're after with the heater tubes actually under the box.

That would be easy enough to do. I just used the factory kick panel & put a ledge across the backside near the top for the sub box to sit on. It would be easy enough to make a panel that would cover the entire thing with a cutout for the sub. Glue it and/or screw it to the front of the sub box, along with placing a grill over it....easy stuff. You can get the y-adapter for the heater vents at Lowes or Home Depot, that way you don't give up your snorkel tube.

All of that is provided that you want 2 vents & the grill to show. If not, I can't see how that install above would be difficult either. Still, the vents on the feet are very nice.

Edited by WakeGirl

:cry:

yes! What I want to see is what's behind the kickplate (i.e. what it looks like underneath where you are running the heater hoses).

Thats the trick! if you take apart a pull out tube you can get the houseing to fit (very snug) into a 4" piece of abs pipe. my box sits on top of three of them. one for each tube. one pull out for the observer, one for the drivers lap and one fixed vent for the drivers feet.

I have my heat vents on top of my sub, but I don't had 15" box either so they don't sit that high up, but is plenty warm for me.

my vents are also on top, they just barely squeeze between my 15" box and the lower part of the dash. there is "just enough" room, but mine are just vents, not pull out hoses. I still have the pullout hose in the walk through, but that seems to be good enough for the wifey. :thumbup:

my vents are also on top, they just barely squeeze between my 15" box and the lower part of the dash. there is "just enough" room, but mine are just vents, not pull out hoses. I still have the pullout hose in the walk through, but that seems to be good enough for the wifey. :thumbup:

Exactly how mine is setup. If the wifey happy life is good.

post-3478-0-33481700-1324658196_thumb.jp

Installed!

LilJohn - man am I diggin that set up. Dont want to hijack this thread but would you mind sending me a pm? I would like to get some more details..nice job!!

• 1 month later...

I aim to more or less copy LilJohn with his heater vent install but while I am at it I am wondering if I should modify my sub box as well? It just isnt in my budget to purchase a sub and amp so I want to stick with the stock Rockford set up...for now. I dont have the boat here so I am not certain on the exact model of the sub and amp but this is my best guess (Amp P-500-2? http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_details.aspx?itemid=108229 and sub M212SB4B http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_selector.aspx?catid=196&parid=192) I recall that the factory builds the box out of plastic which I am sure does the woofer no favors. While I am building a new kick pannel should I redo the sub box? If I redo the box I assume it will be specific to the Rockford sub so if I want to install an Exile Big12 down the road I will have to build another box? Rockford lists their specs for their subs on their site. LinJohn - I noticed you said u used abs plastic tubes for your heater tubes. Can one just build the sub box on a stand and use the factory pull out tubes? I am going to have the identical set up as you with 2 tubes and 1 vent.

Edited by old skool malibu