Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Why Is There 2 Mph Gauges?

New2Texas

Simple question: Why is there 2 MPH gauges and do you need to have both or can one gauge be replaced with something like PerfectPass gauge?

Simple question: Why is there 2 MPH gauges and do you need to have both or can one gauge be replaced with something like PerfectPass gauge?

In case one of them goes out when pulling a skier thru a slalom course.

In case one of them goes out when pulling a skier thru a slalom course.

so would it be ok to remove one? Is one of them a primary? Or are they both equal?

They are both indepedent of eachother.

If you go and look on the back of your boat you will see two "pitot's with a couple inches of black rubber tubiing going into your boat. Open up the back seat hatch and pull out the carpet piece that goes over the gas tank and you will see two goldish rods with similiar rubber tubing going into each. From the tops of those goldish rods you will have more rubber tubeing going up to the dash and into the back of the speedo's.

I would disconnect at lower part of the goldish tubeing and tie a knot in the rubber hose...check for leaks when you have it in the water.

Fantastic stuff guys, thank you. While we are on this subject, is there a way to clean or replace the plastic gauge covers? My gauges work fine, but the plastic is faded and weathered. Is there a trick to clean these up or is the only option to buy new gauges?

I just watched a utube video on the 3M stuff that restores the head light. It looks good but im not sure i could use it in such a tight space on the instrument panel, however if i remove the gauge would I be able to do this without it being fastened down?

I just watched a utube video on the 3M stuff that restores the head light. It looks good but im not sure i could use it in such a tight space on the instrument panel, however if i remove the gauge would I be able to do this without it being fastened down?

Yep, the speedo's are easy to pull out. You could use the headlight restorer to bring them back. A Q-Tip would get into the edges quite well. Thumbup.gif

Fantastic stuff guys, thank you. While we are on this subject, is there a way to clean or replace the plastic gauge covers? My gauges work fine, but the plastic is faded and weathered. Is there a trick to clean these up or is the only option to buy new gauges?

I just bought new ones for my old boat. I tried cleaning them and it ended up being a huge pain!

before you spend money on a headlight restore kit, try a bit of toothpaste (really). It's just abrasive enough, sometimes, to clean up scratched and faded plastic. I've used on several old bicycle computers.

And it's "free". (you'd better already have some lying around the house, eh?)

before you spend money on a headlight restore kit, try a bit of toothpaste (really). It's just abrasive enough, sometimes, to clean up scratched and faded plastic. I've used on several old bicycle computers.

And it's "free". (you'd better already have some lying around the house, eh?)

:plus1: I used to use toothpaste on watch faces all the time when I was in school and wore a watch. Cleans off little scratches and everything.

I will expand a bit on why 2 speedos. Correct on the clogging issue, you always want one speedo to be reading correctly and when a pitot gets clogged, you will have the other speedo for reference or accuracy. This does go back a while, basically before speed control when ski tournaments were hand driven so the driver needed to keep a very close tolerance on time through the course by controlling the speed himself (as opposed to speed control doing it for the driver). Many lakes have enough debris and trash to clog a pitot thus pretty much making it mandatory to have a backup speedo. Technology has improved the pitots (a 90's improvment) and speed control has become standard. The dual speedo's dates back to the 70's when the added technology was not around, only recently have we seen the dual speedo's disappear from the dash, specifically as Airguide went under as that was the gold standard for speedo's for decades.

Enjoy the fact you have 2, surprisingly these tend to be more accurate than what is currently being used. I have seen countless newer boats with only one speedo not be accurately calibrated or calibrated at all. The old Airguides are very easy to calibrate. GPS speedo's, which are accurate to ground speed, can be off with any current.

Edited by Woodski