Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Battery Placement

cowwboy

Has anyone moved their batteries from the observer seat?

I have a 02 vlx and I'm running 3 flooded cell batteries and with amps and batteries I don't have much storage space left.

I was wondering if anyone has ever put them down in the belly by the factory ballast bag or made brackets for them to fit by the v-drive gear box?

I haven't had time to remove mine and start playing with dimnensions yet but I think it's easily done in both places.

I've seen the sealed batteries put under the front seats but with a flooded battery that won't work.

Here is my current space not the best picture but shows my lack of space.

post-15476-0-21745100-1324586149_thumb.j

:plus1: Liljohn did a really good job on his relocation. Free'd up alot of space in there. I think an unplanned benefit to it was the addition of a playpen seat in the walkthrough. Edited by Bobby Light

Having seen it on another manufacturer's boat, I was looking to move mine to the back storage (one on either side of the engine).

Has anyone attempted that one? Thoughts about moving them to the back. (Yes, I know I will need big conductors to avoid the voltage drop).

Having seen it on another manufacturer's boat, I was looking to move mine to the back storage (one on either side of the engine).

Has anyone attempted that one? Thoughts about moving them to the back. (Yes, I know I will need big conductors to avoid the voltage drop).

That's prime real estate for extra sacks. I would not want them obstructing my surf sacks and getting douched with water occasionally.

Just my luck, if I built it in mine it would cover the access panel to the center ballast.

I'm not sure if I could get them to fit in the v-drive compartment either.

After I finish my latest surf board I'll keep looking into where I could put them.

Maybe one or two under the filler cushion.

Just my luck, if I built it in mine it would cover the access panel to the center ballast.

I'm not sure if I could get them to fit in the v-drive compartment either.

After I finish my latest surf board I'll keep looking into where I could put them.

Maybe one or two under the filler cushion.

I want to see a thread on that. You shape and make your own boards? That's cool. Thumbup.gif

Ya after watching many of jeff's builds I built my first this summer and just started shaping my second.

I need to get some winter hardner and other stuff so at a stand still till work send me to tulsa again to shop at west marine.

What do ya'll think about putting them in the belly where the factory mls center bag goes?

The seats seem to be about 2 inches to low to put them under a seat and I can't do the walk through because of blocking the access panel to the center panel.

I thought of putting them in the rear ballast area but don't want to build a complete false floor and loose 8inches of depth the whole floor only.

So maybe a rounded enclosure just the size to protect the batteries? I figure with the lead inside them they should make up for any water weight I loose with the loss of space.

9151c579.jpg

Might work, and definitely a cool idea. Only potential issue could be expidited corrosion on terminals, pretty much always wet there? I would definitely be using tinned wire if putting them in that location.

A pair of srm24's and a srm29.

Looking at the specs I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to get a srm4d and build a mount so I can stack the 29 above the 4d and have them where the amp rack is and move the amps to the hull side.

How likely is it the batteries could leak acid? Wondering how much of a drain system would be necessary.

If I built a rack system it would be out of square tubing with some kind of drain pan under each battery.

Maybe a bearing slide out tray.

Battery acid in your bilge is the last thing you ever want to find or deal with. If your set on putting them there build a box for them so they are contained. Also consider that your bilge will have fuel vapor in it from time to time. Personaly it sounds like a bad situation waiting to happen.

The way I'm thinking now is building a rack in the observer compartment and switching to a srm4d instead of the two srm24's. More capacity and less wiring.

Building a square tubing rack mount with one on top of the other with drain pans for both and panels hiding the batteries so you don't see them.