Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

POWERTURNS - by Trevor Hanson

Fman

That's pretty funny.

You know, I have boated for 30 years, and never thought of a power turn being a big deal, until I joined this site in '09. Had I not done that....I'd still be turning that way, nobody ever pointed it out to me. Now I decelerate to idle, then turn just above idle. So does my wife, and so will my kids when they can drive.

Point is, spread the word!

Edited by Michigan boarder

It drives me nuts. I have a guy that I used to ride with that did it all the time. Even after I explained to him why not to do so. Hence why I used to ride with him.

We are still friends on FB, maybe share the video and see if he gets the hint? :whistle:

I like that ! Did anyone else notice how bad that Supra nose dipped? Is it just me or does the turned down nose loook like it would make it easier to dip the front?

My previous boat was a Supra and that turned down nose was a scoop. I cannot count how many time we scooped up gallons - 100s of gallons of water when we slowed down. This would happen when there was ballast in the front or passengers in the bow. It was a royal PIA.

That's pretty funny.

You know, I have boated for 30 years, and never thought of a power turn being a big deal, until I joined this site in '09. Had I not done that....I'd still be turning that way, nobody ever pointed it out to me. Now I decelerate to idle, then turn just above idle. So does my wife, and so will my kids when they can drive.

Point is, spread the word!

Me too, I still see people power turning everyweekend. It's a great idea that needs more exposure.. If only we could get the Kardashians to tweet the link we'd be set.. :)

Edited by jcon44

Years ago a good friend broke me of power turns and I have tried to spread the word ever since. Proud to say that I have been able to pass it on and break others of their bad driving habit.

the only time we power turn is when some dumb a$$ is following too close (skyski/hydrofoils attract a lot of attention). we also do it when foiling in really cold water since there is usually no one on the water and you want to get your rider out of the water quickly.

you really see the effects of a power turn when surfing. if you power turn then, the wave stays huge and will beat you up when you finish your turn. talk about a hard hit.

so, we will power turn only if necessary. besides, slow controlled turns saves gas. that's another plus of no power turns. :crazy:

My previous boat was a Supra and that turned down nose was a scoop. I cannot count how many time we scooped up gallons - 100s of gallons of water when we slowed down. This would happen when there was ballast in the front or passengers in the bow. It was a royal PIA.

I also had a Supra, and encountered the same problem... I was hoping Skiers Choice would come out with a new hull design, but they continue to use the same hull every year. Its funny, the 21V sits much higher in the water and does not have the sloped nose, I have no idea why they dont mold the bow of the 21V for the 22SSV... even the new 242 Launch has a sloped nose and will also take a lot of water on... have seen picture of the boat rubrail almost under water when ballast is full.

Edited by Fman