Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

cost of perfect pass

New2Texas

Just wanted to run this quote by everyone, hopefully you can sanity check it for me:

Perfect pass = $1195 + shipping

Labor to install = $400-500

Total = $1595 - $1695

Please note I have no tools, craftsmen skills or friends who I trust to cut a whole in my boat. This is also for the PP-WBPro version.

If you don't ride on a river, just get stargazer PP. You don't have to cut a hole and the install takes less then 1 hour last time I did it.

what do you mean by "if you don't ride on a river" ?

I do BTW

I do BTW

The StarGazer is GPS driven, so if you are riding and go under a bridge, the signal is lost. If you don't ride under bridges, then this would be an option for you.

The StarGazer is GPS driven, so if you are riding and go under a bridge, the signal is lost. If you don't ride under bridges, then this would be an option for you.

It also measures speed over distance, not speed through the water (against or with current). Paddlewheel systems naturally compensate for current.

I do BTW

Stargazer uses GPS speed which is speed over land, not water speed. The GPS speed is extremely accurate in regards to speed over land (river bottom). Lets say the river flows at 3 mph. You set PP Stargazer to run 20mph. When boarding downstream your speed on the water will be 17....boarding upstream will be 23 mph on the water due to the GPS not being aware of the river's flow.

The paddlewheel on PP Wakeboard Pro probably isn't as accurate, but is aware of the water flow speed and will give you 20mph water speed up or down stream.

Of course none of this applies if your riding on a lake and there is no flow.

Stargazer uses GPS speed which is speed over land, not water speed. The GPS speed is extremely accurate in regards to speed over land (river bottom). Lets say the river flows at 3 mph. You set PP Stargazer to run 30mph. When boarding downstream your speed on the water will be 17....boarding upstream will be 23 mph on the water due to the GPS not being aware of the river's flow.

The paddlewheel on PP Wakeboard Pro probably isn't as accurate, but is aware of the water flow speed and will give you 20mph water speed up or down stream.

Of course none of this applies if your riding on a lake and there is no flow.

OK, so what about price comparison?

It took me two evenings to put PP Wakeboard Pro on my boat and in 87' PP wasn't even a thought on the Malibu line. One evening was messing with building a bracket for the servo since I'm anal and wouldn't clamp it to the exhaust riser hose. The other evening was installing the gauge, module, running wire, and installing the paddle wheel.

If you can follow instructions you can install PP yourself. The only wiring that doesn't "plug in" is the power from the boat. The guys at PP are great for support and you've got the crew to help if you need it. If you don't think your up for it you can have the dealer install it.

Stargazer uses GPS speed which is speed over land, not water speed. The GPS speed is extremely accurate in regards to speed over land (river bottom). Lets say the river flows at 3 mph. You set PP Stargazer to run 30mph. When boarding downstream your speed on the water will be 17....boarding upstream will be 23 mph on the water due to the GPS not being aware of the river's flow.

That's some fancy Pennsylvania math right there :Tease3:

The price for materials seems about right. I can't comment on the labor costs, although if it is really a 1-2 hour job, then the labor seems high.

OK, thanks everyone. My next question is which is cheaper?

I don't know that PP even makes the older version.... I believe they only offer Stargazer now. And yes, they are 1195/1395, for wake/ski versions.

Peter

I don't know that PP even makes the older version.... I believe they only offer Stargazer now. And yes, they are 1195/1395, for wake/ski versions.

Peter

I would guess they would sell you a paddle wheel to add to a system though if you ran a river right?

Last time I talked to Perfect pass they had a new stargazer coming out that could go between paddle wheel and gps. I haven't seen anything about it yet though.

Current Sg will do that. just go from gps to classic.

check out Hydrophase Ride Steady, I little bit cheaper and they're an Austin Company.

FYI, it was 10 years ago, but I've always had amazing customer service from Perfect Pass.