Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

LEAD...what are you guys using

BG2085

trying to have some fairly mobile ways to load down the boat. im using 100lb sand bags right now but they can be a little hard to move around sometimes. what are you guys using for "lead" and where are you getting it

I bought 8 of the "Pop bags" some time ago for like $6 each. And have a relationship with a local tire shop owner who happens to own a Moomba & frequent our lake..... and I've bought tires from him a couple times. I told him about the Pop bags & he set me up with more than enough lead to fill them. Didn't even bother to melt them down. Just filled them with scrap. I end up using them for several things, weighting the boat, & the golf cart when we drag the beach or Zamboni the ice. :rockon:

I bought 8 of the "Pop bags" some time ago for like $6 each. And have a relationship with a local tire shop owner who happens to own a Moomba & frequent our lake..... and I've bought tires from him a couple times. I told him about the Pop bags & he set me up with more than enough lead to fill them. Didn't even bother to melt them down. Just filled them with scrap. I end up using them for several things, weighting the boat, & the golf cart when we drag the beach or Zamboni the ice. :rockon:

Most of us don't own their own Zamboni :Tease3: .

:biggrin:

You don't? Gotta get with it, man. Wondered who would catch that. :crazy:

I didn't feel the need to own my own Zamboni till the lake froze up solid (was great skating a week or two ago) & then snowed on top of it to the point that we couldn't skate on it very easily. So last week I started Googling it. Come to find out lots of people do it.... some pull it walking, some use an ATV. I'm planning on using a golf cart I bought this summer with the help of a fellow TMC member out of the Phoenix area.

Sunday the ice was about 4" thick, enough to skate on but not enough to get the cart out there (about 600 lb cart, plus a 175 lb water tank, plus my 200+ lbs + about 80 lbs of lead pop bags). I probably wont get back out there again till Christmas day to test it again.... and with the temps we've had I wouldn't expect more than 5" or 6" of ice. This is about the minimum to get the cart out there to drag the ice to smooth it out. I've read that if we get the cart out there draggin the ice 2 or 3 times a week in the evenings, we should have great ice on the weekends to skate on. :rofl:

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Zamboni :biggrin:

Check with a local indoor shooting range, they usually do a clean-out a couple times a year. I bought these bags a few years ago and filled them with 50 lbs of shot each. I mainly used them when a had a direct drive since there was not a lot compartment space for fat sacs. The guy who made them was in CA, but about a year later I tried to reach him for a friend, but no success.

DSC_4029.jpg

guys lead, rocks and sand are not the best, they are not neutral if the boat goes down, water is....be careful with this stuff.......

guys lead, rocks and sand are not the best, they are not neutral if the boat goes down, water is....be careful with this stuff.......

You are correct, I keep four bags, 200#'s, on board to offset me and fine tune when we have no others going out.

• 3 weeks later...

I have twenty, 25 pound plastic coated lead plates with handles. They use them when doing vehicle crash tests. These are thin and lay under the fat sacks.

I have another 300 pounds of lead that I used thru the bow.

I am actually looking to sell some of the lead if anyone is interested. I am in the LA area.

Jeff

I have twenty, 25 pound plastic coated lead plates with handles. They use them when doing vehicle crash tests. These are thin and lay under the fat sacks.

I have another 300 pounds of lead that I used thru the bow.

I am actually looking to sell some of the lead if anyone is interested. I am in the LA area.

PM sent

Jeff

Here is our in process to making 100lb cake pan plates. I'm gonna spray them with plasti dip and some have handles. I might install handles on the old ones also.

post-15476-132717589158_thumb.jpg

post-15476-132717591269_thumb.jpg

We are separating the lead from the trash and steel weights inside. The melting and poring are outside and have two fans blowing the fumes further away.

Also when working with it I use a full face respirator, FR clothing, leather steel toe boots, and welding gloves.

So we are not operating unsafely.