Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
TimD

DIY Power Wedge Install?

TimD

hey All -

I bought my first Bu this summer (2011 VTX) and it came with the manual wedge. After our first season, I'd really like to add the power wedge. Is that something that can be done by a mechanically adept individual or is there software and controls integration that must be done by the dealer?

Thanks for all input -

Tim

Bake's Marine

hey All -

I bought my first Bu this summer (2011 VTX) and it came with the manual wedge. After our first season, I'd really like to add the power wedge. Is that something that can be done by a mechanically adept individual or is there software and controls integration that must be done by the dealer?

Thanks for all input -

Tim

Everything is actually there (power module an switching) to control the wedge. You just need the power wedge, mounted up and wire it to the power module under the dash. Malibu is very tight with the wedge so you will have to have in installed at your local Malibu dealer in order to get it.

-Paul

Malibudude

Just to clarify it came w/ the floating wedge, the manual wedge was the previous style that locked into the up or down position. Unless you really want the pw the floating wedge actually does a great job, imho it's not worth the upgrade unless you have need for adjustability on the fly. No you can't complete this conversion w/o the assistance of a dealer for integration. However, unless the mindset or policy at Malibu they will not do conversions. So you'll need to talk to your dealer about their willingness to help. I would also inquire about how this could affect your warranty.

Bake's Marine

Just to clarify it came w/ the floating wedge, the manual wedge was the previous style that locked into the up or down position. Unless you really want the pw the floating wedge actually does a great job, imho it's not worth the upgrade unless you have need for adjustability on the fly. No you can't complete this conversion w/o the assistance of a dealer for integration. However, unless the mindset or policy at Malibu they will not do conversions. So you'll need to talk to your dealer about their willingness to help. I would also inquire about how this could affect your warranty.

If you surf a lot, power wedge is worth it. If all you do is wakeboard I agree with Malibudude, the floating wedge actually works really well.

If the boat has the MUX system, there was no problem adding a power wedge. All aftermarket parts and accessories (dealer installed) is a 1 year warranty parts only (no labor)

-Paul

Malibudude

If you surf a lot, power wedge is worth it. If all you do is wakeboard I agree with Malibudude, the floating wedge actually works really well.

If the boat has the MUX system, there was no problem adding a power wedge. All aftermarket parts and accessories (dealer installed) is a 1 year warranty parts only (no labor)

-Paul

Surfed behind both and honestly you couldn't tell the difference between the two. For wakeboarding the adjustability of a rampier vs. steeper is where the pw excels ahead of the floating wedge. To be honest the only time I adjust it is when a rider is used to Nautiques or prefers a steeper wake. Other than that it stays all the way down. I personally see if anyone in your area has a vtx or even vlx w/ a pw to compare.

TimD

Great feedback guys, thanks.

The reason I was thinking of the upgrade was my floating wedge made my surf wave steeper but a little sloppy. It was much cleaner without the wedge at all. For that reason I didn't use the wedge much for surfing. Seemed like a waste of wake potential. I was hoping that by adjusting the depth of the wedge, I could use it to optimize the wave. I'm running the port and center tanks full with a 750 in the rear locker and a 400 in the bow. Wave was decent but it was a bit short and seemed to lack push. I was hoping the power wedge would improve that. I'd also like to be able to deploy/reset the wedge without having to climb over the transom - although I may be able to live with that compromise given what I'll probably pay the dealer for the power wedge upgrade.

Unfortunately, there are no other VTX's on my lake for me to compare and contrast. There's a VLX and an 24.7LSV. The surf wake behind the LSV is ridiculous. If I could get even close to that, I'd be thrilled.

Tim

Malibudude

This post Crash has the best setup I've been behind in a VTX, very nice and very surfable wake. I'd suggest use his formula and adjust as needed and get a killer surf wake.

Bake's Marine

Great feedback guys, thanks.

The reason I was thinking of the upgrade was my floating wedge made my surf wave steeper but a little sloppy. It was much cleaner without the wedge at all. For that reason I didn't use the wedge much for surfing. Seemed like a waste of wake potential. I was hoping that by adjusting the depth of the wedge, I could use it to optimize the wave. I'm running the port and center tanks full with a 750 in the rear locker and a 400 in the bow. Wave was decent but it was a bit short and seemed to lack push. I was hoping the power wedge would improve that. I'd also like to be able to deploy/reset the wedge without having to climb over the transom - although I may be able to live with that compromise given what I'll probably pay the dealer for the power wedge upgrade.

Unfortunately, there are no other VTX's on my lake for me to compare and contrast. There's a VLX and an 24.7LSV. The surf wake behind the LSV is ridiculous. If I could get even close to that, I'd be thrilled.

Tim

Glad to help out! Happy Holidays!

-Paul

TimD

Thanks for referencing that old thread M-Dude. You guys are making me seriously second guess adding the power wedge. Maybe you'll save me some money! Wish I didn't have to wait 6 months to figure this out!

T