Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rusted seat sliders

Hi all,

First posting and new boat owner ;-)

I recently purchased a second hand iride and the seat sliders are completely rusted. I managed to free them up but really only a temporary solution. I have replacements but reason I couldnt put them on was because I could not work out how to remove old ones. Are the sliders attached through a plate (the raised square they on on) ? so i need to remove the whole plate ? I couldnt feel any screws holding it down but i guess they are there somwhere ? Will I need to cut the carpet to get this plate off ?

Going through old posts, plenty people have changed these sliders so I wonder if someone would be able to give me a few tips ?

Many thanks

Chris

first rattle out of the box; welcome to the crew.should not need to cut any carpet.

yes, you are right, the sliders do attach to that square plate and it needs to come off.

the square plate was carpeted then the slides were attached then a number of 3"ish wood screws are run straight down into the flooring.

the screw heads are buried and can be a challenge to find.

let your screwdriver tip wander through the carpet and you will hear/feel it click on the heads of the screws.

after you have replaced those sliders and finish assembly use some rtv sealant in the base of the seat to keep some of the water from migrating

from the seat bottom into the sliders. i think my sliders last much longer w the rtv in place.

good luck w it.

first rattle out of the box; welcome to the crew.should not need to cut any carpet.

yes, you are right, the sliders do attach to that square plate and it needs to come off.

the square plate was carpeted then the slides were attached then a number of 3"ish wood screws are run straight down into the flooring.

the screw heads are buried and can be a challenge to find.

let your screwdriver tip wander through the carpet and you will hear/feel it click on the heads of the screws.

after you have replaced those sliders and finish assembly use some rtv sealant in the base of the seat to keep some of the water from migrating

from the seat bottom into the sliders. i think my sliders last much longer w the rtv in place.

good luck w it.

I've had good luck locating screws buried in the carpeting by using a carpenters electronic stud finder. Worked great in my carpeted ski locker.