Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Swivel Seat conversion--'98VLX

Tracktor

They should've came stock like this. $50 materials and a couple hours (including "design") all with basic hand tools.--

Before-

p10002367dx.jpg

After (No the speaker doesn't belong there, I have to find a new place for it)--

p10002486xq.jpg

p10002498vq.jpg

It works great, only concern is longevity. If anyone is ineterested I can put up a step by step with pic's..................

Does Peter @ smooth water sports not make such an animal??? I tried on my '99 SLXI with an off the shelf swivel from West Marine but it was too rickety. I was retaining the slider too.

I'd like to see pics...

Pat

Does Peter @ smooth water sports not make such an animal??? I tried on my '99 SLXI with an off the shelf swivel from West Marine but it was too rickety. I was retaining the slider too.

I'd like to see pics...

Pat

He does indeed and it looks like a beauty. I haven't been able to convince myself to spend the $300 on it yet (but I've been really close a couple of times :) ). A $50 DIY project sound's more my style...

Give me a day or two and I'll put something together. I used a standard swivel, but added one mod to keep it from having and vertical movement in the forward position. Like I said, we'll see about longevity. If it doesn't last I'm only out $50 bucks and it was fun to do. I have welders & fab stuff in my shop by I wanted to try and do this with basic tools so if it worked it could be easily reproduced.

BTW, where can I see the $300 one?...........

There used to be some pictures in an old thread on MBO but I don't know if they survived the transition to Wakeside. Probably best just to contact Peter (he's a member here) and ask him if he can share some with you.

How much height does this mod add to the seat? On a Response, you REALLY don't want to add any more height than absolutely necessary. That was one of the strong points of Peter's swivel seat. I think his only adds 1/2"

How much height does this mod add to the seat? On a Response, you REALLY don't want to add any more height than absolutely necessary. That was one of the strong points of Peter's swivel seat. I think his only adds 1/2"

I e-mailed Smooth Water Sports late last year and this was Peter's response, "Yes, we still have the swivel base that we can build up for the RLXi. I don’t think there is much of a con, aside from the 1.5” raised seat height, if that will put you looking at the frame.'

Allright, I started with a locking swivel from West marine ($20) & two sheets of .25" plate aluminum 10.5" x 13" ($20) from a local aluminum fab. shop. I used stainless steel fasteners so pretty much everything is corrosion resistant.-

p10002372uk.jpg

I marked & drilled holes for the bottom plate using the seat as a template. I used the bottom as a template for the top plate as they both would be the same. I first tried the swivel just back from center but didn't have enough clearance so I moved it all the way to the rear of the plates-

p10002457uu.jpg

p10002460tv.jpg

I was concerned about stability in the forward position so I added a roller to the front of the assembly between the plates. I had this already but I'm sure you can pick them up at a local supply warehouse.-

p10002449gp.jpg

The total height added is around 1.5" (Just what my VLX needed)-

p10002470mq.jpg

p10002529ga.jpg

I did some minor touch up work that I didn't take pictures of but this should give you an idea of the basics. I also had to notch the seat base above each fasteners so it would sit flush. In the forward driving position it is rock solid. It does have a bit of vertical movement when swiveled to the side but I can live with that. I am keeping an eye open for a better swivel possible from a different industry as it is the weak point.

p10002535ej.jpg

Much better-

p10002498vq.jpg

Nice job. It looks to be about the same as what I did except I used steel and I didn't put the plate below the swivel, and I used a plastic wear block instead of the roller for stability in the front. I have to admit the alluminum above and below the swivel makes for a cleaner looking job. Way to go.

What would happen if you put the new assembly 'under' the front to back slides? In this scenario the sandwich would be (starting on the molded seat base) Metal plate, swivel assembly, metal plate, front to back slide assembly, seat.

I am thinking that in the RLXi, it may let you slide the seat forward in the slide tracks to gain a bit more clearance between the back of the seat than the radio cover as you swivel.

Edited by Sunapee
  • 5 years later...

Thanks for the info on the swivel seat. I'm going to do something very similar. My plan is riding on the ability to find some of those rollers like the one you had available. I haven't found them at the two home improvement stores and I'm having a hard time finding it on the internet. It might be because I'm searching "caster" or "roller". What would you call that little roller? Does it have a part number on it that I could search? Where else might I find it?

Thanks for any help..

Thanks for the info on the swivel seat. I'm going to do something very similar. My plan is riding on the ability to find some of those rollers like the one you had available. I haven't found them at the two home improvement stores and I'm having a hard time finding it on the internet. It might be because I'm searching "caster" or "roller". What would you call that little roller? Does it have a part number on it that I could search? Where else might I find it?

Thanks for any help..

It is called a "ball transfer". Try here. Thumbup.gif