Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Towing

WakeSwagger

Thought some of you guys would dig this video. I timed the 0-60 as he did it (he's towing a Moomba XLV with 50 gallons of fuel) a couple times and it looks like the truck gets itself and the boat to 60mph in about 10-11 seconds. That's awesome! It was crossing 30 around 3.5 seconds! Rockon.gif

Lol, I disagree with being a nice truck. My company vehicle (which I basically just use as a daily driver to/from work) is an 06 f150. Unreliable, rides like hell, about intolerable after an hour of driving. Mileage from the 4.6l is worse than I get from the 5.3 in my Avalanche...even though my Avalanche has much steeper gearing is a lot heavier.

The only thing I like about it is the free gas and no wear and tear on my vehicle. Perhaps the newer ones are nicer, but I wouldn't take the chance.

I had an '04 and '06 F-150 with the 5.4 and had very few issues with either one. They were both great trucks and took me to 100,000 miles with only a couple of days in the shop due to minor warranty issues. I loved them both.

Thought some of you guys would dig this video. I timed the 0-60 as he did it (he's towing a Moomba XLV with 50 gallons of fuel) a couple times and it looks like the truck gets itself and the boat to 60mph in about 10-11 seconds. That's awesome! It was crossing 30 around 3.5 seconds! Rockon.gif

That's pretty cool. As is this.

Edited by inlandlaker

Video looks good, engine sound is still not there. It would be hard for me to get over paying an extra $750 for a V6. But I would pay extra for an ecoboost V8.

Edited by Bozboat

Video looks good, engine sound is still not there. It would be hard for me to get over paying an extra $750 for a V6. But I would pay extra for an ecoboost V8.

I thought the same. I'm picking up my V6 ecoboost this afternoon (leased based on concerns over longevity). I was originally trying to find a 2011 with the 5.0 V8 due to incentives, but there are few around well equipped in my area, so I grabbed the ecoboost. While I won't be towing with it until spring, I'll be sure to let the crew know my thoughts. Given that the ecoboost makes 100% of its available torque (420 ft lbs) at 2,500 RPM, I'm not really concerned about its abilities in that regard. The 5.0 V8 makes 380 ft lbs at 4,250 RPM for reference. I know there are other members with them that have been generally pleased, so I'm optimistic.

I too would pay extra for an ecoboost V8. That would be very cool.

Edit: Just noted that the curves were posted elsewhere. Sorry for the duplicate information.

Edited by inlandlaker

I tow an LSV with the short wheel base Denali (Tahoe). Once I got the trailer brakes fixed / upgraded you can't even tell the boat is there when towing. (trailer had a hydraulic leak when new. When they fixed that I also had brakes put on the second axel.)

The mileage isn't great. Without boat about 14 around town and 16-17 on the highway. Did a 2,000 mile trip this summer and averaged about 11 mpg. Speed did make a difference of about 1 mpg per 5 miles per hour (10 mpg @ 70, 11 mpg @ 65 and about 12 mpg @ 60). I tried to drive 60 and after a couple hundred miles couldn't do it anymore and settled on 65. The engine tows great, just set the cruise control and it never struggled to hold speed even on mountain passes. Also didn't have any issues with either engine or transmission temperature.

The only thing I don't like about the Denali is a huge blind spot caused the head rest on the starboard rear seat headrest. It totally blocks the view out the rear quarter panel window. The mirror does an adequate job but wish I would have found one with the side view assist when I bought the truck.

Lol, I disagree with being a nice truck. My company vehicle (which I basically just use as a daily driver to/from work) is an 06 f150. Unreliable, rides like hell, about intolerable after an hour of driving. Mileage from the 4.6l is worse than I get from the 5.3 in my Avalanche...even though my Avalanche has much steeper gearing is a lot heavier.

The only thing I like about it is the free gas and no wear and tear on my vehicle. Perhaps the newer ones are nicer, but I wouldn't take the chance.

Apples and Oranges buddy, BIG TIME. The 2011/12 F150 cannot, in anyway be compared to the pile of junk that is an '06 F150. I seriously recommend stopping by a dealer and driving one.

In fact, even if you don't drive one, sit in the back seat and you will feel like you're in a limousine compared to the 06.

The ecoboost is a great engine, I would definitely consider it but the trucks are in their low 50s for a XLT up here.

I was looking into an LR3 locally, it was a really good deal and was completely kitted out, but a buddy of mine owns an LR4 after trading in his LR3 and said not to bother due to it being out of warranty. When something goes bad in the electronics, the whole truck is messed up. But I guess the same could be said for anything new/european these days.

3.5 litres? And kills the other trucks in 0-60?

I didn't read all the posts, but how the heck can a little engine like that do that? "The little truck that could?"

Steve B.

Twin turbos.

Okay, let's think outside the box, ha.

How about an ecoboost engine in our fine Malibus? I like the idea of turbo's in a boat, lol, at least it would increase the chick magnet effect?

Steve B.

Okay, let's think outside the box, ha.

How about an ecoboost engine in our fine Malibus? I like the idea of turbo's in a boat, lol, at least it would increase the chick magnet effect?

Steve B.

Heat issues would be a very significant concern with a turbo in a a tight enclosed boat engine compartment. And if made to work, would likely cost the same as a marine LSA, while making a lot less power.

Heat issues would be a very significant concern with a turbo in a a tight enclosed boat engine compartment. And if made to work, would likely cost the same as a marine LSA, while making a lot less power.

and i would think that the idea of an inboard is torque and turbo's unless spooling at low rpm and minimal lag wouldnt be as efficient as a blower.. a supercharger however is where its at :yes:

and i would think that the idea of an inboard is torque and turbo's unless spooling at low rpm and minimal lag wouldnt be as efficient as a blower.. a supercharger however is where its at :yes:

If were talking ecoboost though, low end torque isn't the issue. I think what you said used to be very true but the game seems to be changing.

Heat and expense would be the major hurdle.

I would have serious problems dropping 30k+ on a truck with a V6 regardless of the specs.

Its just against everthing I know from my soul. American man = V8. This is yet another attack and the watering down of what has made our country great. I hereby deem the V6 Ecoboost Un-American therefore it must be either communist or terrorist.

I drive a Toyota and it has a V8. :whistle:

Edited by nyryan2001

I hear what you're saying Ryan, but the Eco will most likely be in my next F150 or maybe the 6.2. :biggrin:

Does anyone have a clue what Indmar is about to release? This status is from their FB page last week:

An 11 month project launches to dealers tomorrow and then we can share it with the world on the 20th. Can not wait to share the news - dealers look for your announcement tomorrow! Very excited about this launch.....Woo hoo!

I would have serious problems dropping 30k+ on a truck with a V6 regardless of the specs.

Its just against everthing I know from my soul. American man = V8. This is yet another attack and the watering down of what has made our country great. I hereby deem the V6 Ecoboost Un-American therefore it must be either communist or terrorist.

I drive a Toyota and it has a V8. :whistle:

DITTO...:)

Twin turbos.

Do you have the Eco boost? Or the 5.0?

I am about to buy my first "new" vehicle and am so lost on which one to get.

I love the 5.0 and have driven many when I travel for work. I have been able to get 23 mpg @ 70 mph with the 5.0, and it sounds like an animal.

I am supposed to go to the dealer on friday to test drive an eco boost.

they both will tow more than I need, just cant make the decision.

I hear what you're saying Ryan, but the Eco will most likely be in my next F150 or maybe the 6.2.

Eddie- hold the line and don't give in. Your new boat is heavier than the last one, you are really going to need that 6.2. Its not till you can hold 75MPH on cruise control completely loaded towing with everything and the tranny never downshift once that you can honestly look yourself in the mirror and not be ashamed or think less of yourself. :)

Eddie- hold the line and don't give in. Your new boat is heavier than the last one, you are really going to need that 6.2. Its not till you can hold 75MPH on cruise control completely loaded towing with everything and the tranny never downshift once that you can honestly look yourself in the mirror and not be ashamed or think less of yourself. :)

Well then it sounds like the 6.7 would be the answer. Screw those whimpy little gas V-8s.

Do you have the Eco boost? Or the 5.0?

I am about to buy my first "new" vehicle and am so lost on which one to get.

I love the 5.0 and have driven many when I travel for work. I have been able to get 23 mpg @ 70 mph with the 5.0, and it sounds like an animal.

I am supposed to go to the dealer on friday to test drive an eco boost.

they both will tow more than I need, just cant make the decision.

I've got the 6.2L. I drove them all and ended up with the 6.2L. The 5.0 had great mileage but lacked power below 3K rpm I thought, there are things you can do to it to help with that but off the lot wasn't impressed. The Eco had other issues I didn't like, the mileage sucked, sounded like a sewing machine when driving it, and just didn't win me over.

Edited by Bobby Light