Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Water Pump

chris_06ride

Hello buCrew had a quick question about water pump. This weekend I had boat parade down in south Texas on the SBR..needless to say I took the boat from storage, its been sitting for about 2months so I fake lake it and make sure everything is good. I put new thermostat in and fire it up... well no water comes out the exhaust after about 40 seconds.... (Usually waters pouring out within 15seconds.) So i check some things... Long story short I fire it up and barely rev it up in neutral to 1500rpms and within 10 seconds water starts pouring out as normal. So i put back at idle and pouring out fine.Well do the parade and the next day have to do the same thing. But curious if this could be a sign of pump getting ready to crap out. I have an 06 330 monsoon with 290hrs. During regular summer I've never had to rev it to get the water to come out exhaust and not sure why I would have to prime the pump now... Just curious if pump could be going bad. Thanks

How high was the water pressure? This sounds like you just needed to fill the engine with water. You should be fine.

Coming out of winterization mine does this as well. You can put your hand on the raw water pump to see if it is moving water. If it is cool to the touch it is pulling water, if it is hot you have an issue.

Now about that impeller. I change every other year just to be safe, there are some on here that change every year for the same reason and others that keep a spair on the boat and wait for the imeller to fail. If you are running 330 hours on one impeller I would change it just to be safe.

Hello buCrew had a quick question about water pump. This weekend I had boat parade down in south Texas on the SBR..needless to say I took the boat from storage, its been sitting for about 2months so I fake lake it and make sure everything is good. I put new thermostat in and fire it up... well no water comes out the exhaust after about 40 seconds.... (Usually waters pouring out within 15seconds.) So i check some things... Long story short I fire it up and barely rev it up in neutral to 1500rpms and within 10 seconds water starts pouring out as normal. So i put back at idle and pouring out fine.Well do the parade and the next day have to do the same thing. But curious if this could be a sign of pump getting ready to crap out. I have an 06 330 monsoon with 290hrs. During regular summer I've never had to rev it to get the water to come out exhaust and not sure why I would have to prime the pump now... Just curious if pump could be going bad. Thanks

Chris,

Sounds like your impeller is just having a tough timing priming. We run boats on fake-a-lakes here at the shop and very often we have to rev the RPM's up to get the impeller to prime and start sucking water. The most common cause is a impeller going bad but it can also happen from a loose hose clamp on the main water line, or a bad seal with the fake a lake on the bottom of the boat.

I would check all the hose clamps, make sure the fake a lake is up against the bottom of the boat (with the water shooting directly into the grate of the intake) and if it hasnt been done, service your impeller. The impeller should be done every 100 hours or every other year. For the DIY guy, honestly i would service the impeller every season. The part is not that expensive and it always tends to fail at the worst time possible.

Just so you know, your impeller is supposed to be a Johnson 09-812b

Hope this helps!

Paul

Probably is your impeller. I'd suggest the Globe 100J over the Johnson, as it is a run-dry impeller and a little more piece of mind if you ever have trouble priming; those few seconds of running dry won't be destroying your impeller. Bakes didn't carry this impeller, but they do carry the gaskets pretty cheap if you need fresh ones. :)

Probably is your impeller. I'd suggest the Globe 100J over the Johnson, as it is a run-dry impeller and a little more piece of mind if you ever have trouble priming; those few seconds of running dry won't be destroying your impeller. Bakes didn't carry this impeller, but they do carry the gaskets pretty cheap if you need fresh ones. :)

I actually have my first order of Globe impellers coming next week :)

Sorry guys dissapeared for the weekend.. my impeller is brand new was purchased about 2months back from putting it up for the winter..

When it happen the first time the temperature went to about 170 and water slowly started coming out of exhaust but not as much as usual... But never got past 170.. & yes i was using a true fake lake underneath the boat.