Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wiring diagram

Here's a diagram I threw together. This is mostly to educate myself and make sure I was thinking about everything before I start running wires. I have no wiring experience but get it conceptually. I have a few questions:

1. Should the distribution board be fused? In my diagram I included circuit breakers on each switch. I assume having a fused disty board with fused block is sort of repetitive and not necessary.

2. If I do not use a fused disty board should the unswitched power have an inline fuse? For example, should I have a fuse between the power from disty board to the ignition switch?

3. Does the ignition switch need to be grounded to the disty board or is it grounded from the coil?

One set of wires not showing here is the amp and speaker wiring for the stereo. I have two bridgeable amps that were installed in the boat when I purchased it. I have pics from the teardown but still not 100% sure how to bridge the amps again and get it all back in working order. I am going to make this my last step in the wiring process so I am not too focused on it right now, however, any tips are appreciated.

post-17756-034570400 1324013609_thumb.jp

Edited by Scott N

Here's a diagram I threw together. This is mostly to educate myself and make sure I was thinking about everything before I start running wires. I have no wiring experience but get it conceptually. I have a few questions:

1. Should the distribution board be fused? In my diagram I included circuit breakers on each switch. I assume having a fused disty board with fused block is sort of repetitive and not necessary.

I would say that depends on how far your battery is from your board. Id it's more than a few feet I would have a main CB or fuse 12" from the battery on your main +12V house wire.

2. If I do not use a fused disty board should the unswitched power have an inline fuse? For example, should I have a fuse between the power from disty board to the ignition switch?

Yes. On my boat I have a fuse panel under the dash. The line side of each dash switch is fed from a fuse under the dash. The load side is then connected to the horn/blower/lights/stereo/etc.

3. Does the ignition switch need to be grounded to the disty board or is it grounded from the coil?

Are we talking about the key switch itself? It is not grounded in any way as it is simply switching 3 positive legs (+12V, RUN, START).

One set of wires not showing here is the amp and speaker wiring for the stereo. I have two bridgeable amps that were installed in the boat when I purchased it. I have pics from the teardown but still not 100% sure how to bridge the amps again and get it all back in working order. I am going to make this my last step in the wiring process so I am not too focused on it right now, however, any tips are appreciated.

Once the stereo forum is back up that would be the place to ask that question. Simply take a pic of the speaker terminals and post it up and there are lots of guys that can help. We'll get you sorted out! Thumbup.gif

post-17756-034570400 1324013609_thumb.jp

If I were wiring a car/boat there would always be a main fuse/fusable link at main power feed to fuse block and each power leg would be fused at block then to switch. The only acception would as Martin said be if the fuse block was at battery with a very short main feed.

(note. main power to starter is not normaly fused, only solonoid wire is fused)

Scott,

When you get around to the stereo wiring you should have the following information ready to share.

*number of speakers and their location within the boat. If they are standard 6.5" coaxials no additional details will likely be needed.

*sub if applicable and the impedance (you can easily measure the resistance with a meter which will be close enough).

*amplifier channel configurations (2-chnl, 4-chnl, etc). Make and models. The fusing for each amplifier.

*how many preout pairs on the source unit.

Armed with this information it will be a breeze.

David

Earmark Marine