Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Can you really not put a wrap below the waterline?

TallRedRider

I called a local wrap place about putting a wrap on my boat. He stated that he was concerned about putting any of the wrap below the waterline for fear that it would peel off. He states that he uses the 'top quality, best there is' wrap material and that he would be reluctant to put anything that would be submerged for fear that it would fail prematurely and come off.

But I am sure that most wraps do go below the waterline, right? I don't think I have ever heard of one coming off prematurely. Anyone?

A full hull side wrap will go down to the chine where it is submerged when the boat is not on plane. When the boat is on plane there is very little of the wrap in the water. The area you need to worry about the most is at the transom if it is submerged there it is much more likely to peel b

My little county of 100K people doesn't have tons of experience with this.

I managed to find the right shop now. They were much more confident in their wrap's ability to stay on, and the owner has his own boat wrapped with the stuff so at least I found a place to go to now. However, they were much more vague about how much it could cost. The design phase is the cheapest part, so it would be cool to get something drawn up, but this might end up being a project for next winter. Maybe I will win the lottery or something.

Anyone got any idea how much I should expect to pay?

quality wraps run along these lines:

1/4 wrap: ie just the mid to back end of the boat $1500 ish

1/2 wrap: all the way around, sides only: $3000ish

full wrap: all the way around, sides up and over the gunnels to th interior portions, maybe part of the tower, maybe part of the windshield sides $4000+

My little county of 100K people doesn't have tons of experience with this.

I managed to find the right shop now. They were much more confident in their wrap's ability to stay on, and the owner has his own boat wrapped with the stuff so at least I found a place to go to now. However, they were much more vague about how much it could cost. The design phase is the cheapest part, so it would be cool to get something drawn up, but this might end up being a project for next winter. Maybe I will win the lottery or something.

Anyone got any idea how much I should expect to pay?

maybe you could work a deal where you pay by the skull?

maybe you could work a deal where you pay by the skull?

Dude, I love skulls. If I wouldn't take a beating for it from the crew, I would strongly consider it. The wife probably would not go for it either.

I think it goes back to the time that I went to the KISS concert with my older siblings when I was ten years old. That kind of stuff just appeals to me.

That boat was done by ETCO marine in Visalia CA. It was for a guy who owns a dairy, boat was wraped for 3-4years and taken off last spring.