Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf Set Up Suggestions

dimer10

All: I know I have posted a similar question before but I am hoping for a little more help. Believe it or not my brother in law and I are going to take the boat out for 2 days 12/26 & 12/27. I don't care how cold it will be. It will be the first time either one of us been wakesurfing. I want to make sure I go with the right tools. Here are my questions and I look forward to seeing the answers.

2002 Wakesetter 23XTI is the boat being used.

1). Does anyone know how much weight the current ballast system holds? I have bow and rear hard tanks.

2). What should I take for extra weight? I plan on buying additional fly high sacs before 12/19

3). Can you fit a ballast tank in the ski locker on the back. I know it is small but didn't if any has tried a SUMO thin sac back there.

4). What would be the best rope for us to use?

5). How should we start? Wedge Down, fill surf side tank, half full bow tank, and have people move around to form the wake better?

Thanks again for the crews support.

We used to surf straight off the platform and return onto the platform once we were exhausted! Although being your first time I suggest you start in the water. Have fun and have the heater ready :footing:

Edited by New2Texas

I have the same boat - We fill all the ballast I think its 900lbs, 200 in each hard tank in the back and 500 in the central ski locker then I have a big sac on the floor in the back I think its about 400 lbs and a long sac in the walkthrough in the front and about 10 people in the boat - we move people to the side and front - you can have too much weight in the back so make sure you get some people in the front it will lengthen the wave. We go with no wedge if you have a lot of people - if there are only like 5 people or so you can try with the wedge down. We have a real thick surf rope but you can just tie off a regular rope shorter. Someone told me not to put a sack in teh back ski locker because it will bend the bottom and crush the top of the gas tank where the gauge is mounted

hope you have an epic day on the water