Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Flo-Cam (HD version coming out)?

2011vlx

2011 VLX with Flo-Cam. I desperately want to upgrade my Flo-Cam to High Definition. I've contacted VIO-POV http://www.vio-pov.com/ who make the actual camera system, then sells to Medallion who makes modifications to it for Malibu to work with Malivu. VIO-POV informed me that they do have HD cameras and whatever Medallion to does to modify them is the reason that Malivu Flo-Cam does not currently have and HD option but that they believe the solution is almost ready and Flo-Cam will have an HD option soon. Does anyone have idea if this is really in the works and happening? The current video quality for the price is horrible. Any info., on an HD upgrade for Flo-Cam would be greatly appreciated!

on my phone, will post more info later. Do not know if malibu is working with flo cam on HD or not, but last summer I bought a POV HD system (less than 600 bucks), made my own mount and must say that I am very happy with it. I still have a few things to tweak. Biggest problem is that there was no video extension cable to go between the cameara and recorder box available for the HD camera system (the cables available only works on older non-HD POV1.0 and POV.T systems). We had to make a sling to hold the video box near where the tower speakers are mounted, thats as much cable as we had. That actually worked pretty well. A winter project is to figure out how to extend thier HD video cable. Over all I love the camera system and the way it records in loops, and we mounted the camera so that you dont have to remove the camera every time you want to change ropes.

My guess is that malibu has not upgraded to HD because there is no current way to extend the video cable, and the long run from the center of the tower hoop to the dash requires a bunch of extra cable. I talked to POV last summer and they said a HD extension was in the works, but apparently nothing yet.

Chadwick, thanks for the info., I would love to see pics when you have time. I need to find an HD option before spring rolls around. I love to use the camera and just can't take this horrible video quality anymore. I'm also pretty interested in how you mounted the camera so you don't have to remove it to change rope lengths! Will it still follow the rider? Post pics when you can, thanks again!

Why not just figure out how to mount a Go Pro to the tower? I have never seen quality footage from a Flo Cam yet and it is my understanding that they are overpriced P'sOS. If the regular crappy Flo Cam is a $2,000 upgrade I don't even want to know what the HD Version will be...

Why not just figure out how to mount a Go Pro to the tower? I have never seen quality footage from a Flo Cam yet and it is my understanding that they are overpriced P'sOS. If the regular crappy Flo Cam is a $2,000 upgrade I don't even want to know what the HD Version will be...

Go pro from the tower will look like poo. I've tried (using a wakejack... so no need to figure out how to do it either, someone already has). The gopro has a fisheye lens and is not made to film stuff that's 70' away.

Shawn is right. Until this year, the GoPro lens was 170 degrees, which was great for close action, but left wakeboarders looking like ants when filmed from the boat. The new HDHero2 Go Pro allows you to shoot with a 90 degree lens. That's similar to most handheld mini camcorders, and should produce much better video when used on a tracking mount like the WakeJak, although the lack of a zoom may still be an issue. We would love to hear from anyone who has tried filming wakeboarders from the boat with the new HDHero2. Rob

Got an email from Medallion which stated that for 2012 flo cam will be offered in high definition. Strangely though, it also said that it wasn't "backward" compatible and wouldn't be available for my 2011 VLX? I'm having a hard time figuring out why it would matter which boat it's on? My dealer is looking into it.

I'm assuming that they wouldn't offer the normal standard definition anymore, but that's just a guess. Noway to justify the $2,000 for such horrible video quality. If you get in HD, let me know what you think!