Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ski Locker Ballast How - To

skiguy

Can anybody give me a step by step on how to install, plumb and wire a ballast system in my ski locker? I already have a 750lb fat sack that fits great in the locker. Thanks!

Did this same thing in my Sunsetter 2 years ago.

I used the bilge drain plug for my intake. I used Aerator Style Pumps, Tsunami 1200 GPH.

I came up from the drain, 90'd over to a shut off valve. Then into the Pump, from there up through an Anti Siphon, down to the front of the bilge. I had to remove the "wall" in the front of the bilge and drill a one inch hole to pass the hose though. Another small hole to run the wires for the pump.

I used the Fly High Tube Sac, others have used the Rear Seat Sac. No complaints with the smaller sack.

From the bag I ran the vent and drain line up through the storage area near the battery up and out under the rub rail.

All in all it was a pretty simple project. I had to to do it again I'd consider the impellar style pumps for ease of install and function. I can't get my bag completely empty which is quite annoying.

Wakemakers told me it has to do with the style of pump. I asked about putting a check valve on the vent and was told that aerator pumps wouldn't "suck" the bag dry like an impeller pump.

I plan on changing the hose layout in the locker a bit this spring the get the pump a bit lower in the locker.

Using an impeller style fill pump is the anti-siphon still required or can you use a check valve? If you still need the anti-siphon, where did you mount yours? -- the info I saw said it needed to be mounted as high as possible.

Using an impeller style fill pump is the anti-siphon still required or can you use a check valve? If you still need the anti-siphon, where did you mount yours? -- the info I saw said it needed to be mounted as high as possible.

Are you going to be installing a new thru hull fitting on the bottom of the boat for your water source? There are a few options on y adapter or antishipon fitting.

I located my fill pump behind the panel in the bilge, panel is removed. I ran the fill hose up and attached the Anti Siphon with a zip tie to the water pump hose. About 2/3's up the engine, from there it goes back down through the upper part of the wall dividing the ski locker and bilge and into the bag.

• 2 weeks later...

Did this same thing in my Sunsetter 2 years ago.

I used the bilge drain plug for my intake. I used Aerator Style Pumps, Tsunami 1200 GPH.

I came up from the drain, 90'd over to a shut off valve. Then into the Pump, from there up through an Anti Siphon, down to the front of the bilge. I had to remove the "wall" in the front of the bilge and drill a one inch hole to pass the hose though. Another small hole to run the wires for the pump.

I used the Fly High Tube Sac, others have used the Rear Seat Sac. No complaints with the smaller sack.

From the bag I ran the vent and drain line up through the storage area near the battery up and out under the rub rail.

All in all it was a pretty simple project. I had to to do it again I'd consider the impellar style pumps for ease of install and function. I can't get my bag completely empty which is quite annoying.

photos???

• 1 month later...

We added a sac to the ski locker in our 2010 RLXI . I used an impeller type pump and a hose tail fitting in the ski locker bung with no anti siphon or vent. one hose from bung to pump and one from bump to bag . Only thing you have to do is open the locker to see if you over filling the sac . The pump is mounted to the wall of the ski locker under the floor

• 3 months later...

I went ahead and installed an auto ballast system in the ski locker. My 2 cents for anyone else looking to do this, buy the package from either Bakes or wakemakers, I wasted so much time going to the hardware store to save a few dollars. this 2 hour project turned into something that took several weekends and fittings that are not water-tight.