Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

08 23lsv with 600 hrs

mjb929rr

Im currently looking at an 08 lsv that is loaded up with options but has 600hrs on it. It has the 340 monsoon, all ballast tanks and power wedge, basic tower speakers, bimini but no cover. Boat looks to be in good shape and they are asking 49.9k for it. Does this seem high for a boat with this many hrs. I currently have a 08 supra 21v that I am wanting to trade in on it. heres a link to it. http://www.boulderboats.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=0170849X12K10K2011J8I29I04JPMQ2922R0&veh=56939&pov=2342559

While I wouldn't necessarily be scared of it, I would inquire about the usage of the boat. Those are high hours for an '08 for most, so it could have been a club boat or whatnot. Check service records and inquire about the previous owners and usage. Definitely have the entire boat and trailer gone over by a neutral party. The monsoon is the most reliable engine in the lineup and can go ~2k hours.

I would assume that means it is sitting on their lot right now uncovered...ewwwww!

For those of us who have read these forums religiously and have heard what real gearheads have to say...600 hours is not a problem. The problem is that most potential buyers do worry about it, just like you are. So when it comes time for you to sell, you are going to take a beating on the price. Factor that into your purchase price now.

I considered buying a Supra from those guys, and felt that they were good and honest people, FWIW.

With no cover, I would assume it is a repo.

It is a repo so unfortunately there is no cover. They said they would do a lake test and video the entire thing and then take a lot more close up pics. I don't feel that they are hiding anything if they are willing to go to that much trouble. I think a leakdown test would be a good idea on the engine as well.

Lots of good advice up there^^^^^ but the advice from Tallredrider really stands out. When you sell it, you will be selling a previously repo'ed boat with 800-900 hours? 1000 hours? Who would consider buying it? I sold my 2008 loaded LSV with 250 hours in 2009 for 58K. The boat was in better than showroom condition with maintanence documentation and it was advertized for three months ( Jan through March). When you go to sell the boat you are considering, you will take one heck of a beating on the price.

Additional info.........My 2004 LSV with 850 hours, almost showroom condition, took all summer to sell. Everyone was put off by the hours. This boat never skipped a beat. If it was a friends boat that I rode on every week I would have bought it in a heartbeat. If it was an unknown with 850 hours, I would not have touched it. That boat eventually sold to an Indmar certified mechanic. He was able to look up the repair history and also hooked the boat up to his laptop for diagnostics before he bought it. Everything checked out. What are the chances of you finding a buyer like that? That boat sold in 2008 for 32K. I paid 54K with 50 hours on the clock in 2005. ( I did not use the boat at all in 2008 because I already had a new 2008)

Considering the resale value down the road and the difficulty selling it, I do not think that close to 50K is a reasonable price for that boat. On the plus side, other than the dash design and the XS tower, the 2008 was an incredible boat. My 2004 was an incredible boat too, but there were enough changes in 2008 to make it worth stepping up to the newer boat. If there is any way you can swing a 2010 with the G3 tower, power wedge, and Maliview, you will be VERY current as far as desirable features goes. I currently have a 2010 LSV and I can honestly say I am 100% in awe of this boat with zero complaints.

I went a different route but Boulder boats sent me a copy of the engine diagnostics. I guess there is a way to pull the engine hr based upon rpms. 0-1000 rpms was 372 hrs of the 600. Seems like a ton of idling and i dont know if this is good or bad, but basically they wont budge on the price and this is how they justified it.

I went a different route but Boulder boats sent me a copy of the engine diagnostics. I guess there is a way to pull the engine hr based upon rpms. 0-1000 rpms was 372 hrs of the 600. Seems like a ton of idling and i dont know if this is good or bad, but basically they wont budge on the price and this is how they justified it.

that much idle time is not good for rings. you get a lot of cylinder wash-down at idle in gas motors, bet the oil smells like gasoline. I wouldn't touch it. :whistle:

Almost completely off topic, but a dealer once told me that a guy in the Las Vegas area was trying to get a blown engine covered under warranty, but the diagnostic showed repetitive spikes to 5500 RPM. The dealer concluded that the guy was repetitively going airborne on the boat, and denied the claim.

That boat will be there "flagship" lot boat. I wouldn't touch that thing with a 1,000 ft pole. Too much for the hours. Get taken to the cleaners when you go to resell it, like skyskier said.

Glad you went another route mjb