Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

MXZ wake

jrad12381

Hello all! I am currently throwing around the idea of purchasing an MXZ. I demoed one last week and the wake was good with the stock ballast but still not near as big and firm as my 05 VLX weighted down (normally 3k LBS and wedge). What I am wondering is, have any of you weighted down your MXZ or played with addition weight besides the factory ballast? And if so how was the wake? How much weight did you add, and where? How much did the wake change compared to the stock wake with factory ballast and wedge? Of course pictures would be nice.

jrad, I agree with your comparsion...stock to stock the MXZ is bigger and the same apples when you add weight. As in all Malibu wakes that I've seen the shape stays and everything just gets bigger with ballast. We were close to 10 hours this week and added some extra ballast. We didn't have people weight in December, so we added two 750's in the back and 1000 bow sac all about 75% full.

Here's a pic 23.6 MPH and wedge 33% or 3 clicks up

IMG_3476.jpg

My son could hardly feel his hands at the end of the set, but he was feeing the new wake. In the first set with extra ballast he landed a heel 720, toe 900, and crow mobe 540 all off the wake. The new speed control holds just as well with ballast too and no issue dipping the nose whatsoever.

Same setup as above

IMG_3503.jpg

Good day, so she's gone for stereo install and waiting on Spring!

IMG_3469.jpg

THTROH thanks for the reply. The wake looks very nice. Are you putting the bow sac on top of the cussions up front? I know looking at the mxz there is a vois area under the ladder, where the anchor storage is. It may be possible to hide some weight in there. Is there any other void spaces up front to hide some weight so you dont lose the passanger space?

THTROH thanks for the reply. The wake looks very nice. Are you putting the bow sac on top of the cussions up front? I know looking at the mxz there is a vois area under the ladder, where the anchor storage is. It may be possible to hide some weight in there. Is there any other void spaces up front to hide some weight so you dont lose the passanger space?

There isnt enough room for a fatsack in ladder storage but Im not sure where you are getting your info from regarding the smaller wake compared to a VLX. Ive heard the opposite from everyone including those who demo'd the MXZ early as well as dealers, reps and enthusiasts. I mean, how big did you want the wake other than what you can attain with 4 ballast tanks totalling 2500 as well as a fully deployed wedge?

My son could hardly feel his hands at the end of the set, but he was feeing the new wake. In the first set with extra ballast he landed a heel 720, toe 900, and crow mobe 540 all off the wake. The new speed control holds just as well with ballast too and no issue dipping the nose whatsoever.

Same setup as above

IMG_3503.jpg

Good day, so she's gone for stereo install and waiting on Spring!

IMG_3469.jpg

what tower speakers did you opt for?

There isnt enough room for a fatsack in ladder storage but Im not sure where you are getting your info from regarding the smaller wake compared to a VLX. Ive heard the opposite from everyone including those who demo'd the MXZ early as well as dealers, reps and enthusiasts. I mean, how big did you want the wake other than what you can attain with 4 ballast tanks totalling 2500 as well as a fully deployed wedge?

I think jrad was comparing the stock MXZ wake to his VLX with 3000 pounds ballast, so I understand. The stock wake on all the WS models should be sufficient for most level of riders. It's when you get into upper level tricks there is an advantage to a larger wake. We were lucky and demoed the MXZ back in Sept with 10 adults and with stock ballast it pretty amazing. It's not uncommon to demo a new boat with just a few passengers so you really don't see a weighted wake. If we have a full load of people I don't see using a bow sac, but I do think there's room for 3/4 pop bags in the anchor locker if needed.

Our boat will have a full Kicker system installed and a "6 pack" 6500.2 HLCD tower system, hopefully in the new Kicker enclosures. Mike's Liquid Audio has the boat now in Gastonia NC if anyone wants to see it...he also installs Wet Sounds, Exile, and maybe others.

THTROG Thanks for all the replies. When I demoed the boat we only had 5 people for probably a total of 750lbs dynamic ballast. Normally we go out with 3-5 people so I typically have a lot of static ballast in the boat. The wake behind your boat looks amazing. Comparing pictures to my wake weighted down yours definitely looks larger, and very clean. I am having a hard time commiting to purchasing a new boat as mine is payed off, and its nice having no payments however if the wake, and performance of the boat is better it helps me justify the expense, plus I feel like resale on these boats will be good, as it is the newest from malibu and wont change for a few years.

jrad, I agree with your comparsion...stock to stock the MXZ is bigger and the same apples when you add weight. As in all Malibu wakes that I've seen the shape stays and everything just gets bigger with ballast. We were close to 10 hours this week and added some extra ballast. We didn't have people weight in December, so we added two 750's in the back and 1000 bow sac all about 75% full.

Here's a pic 23.6 MPH and wedge 33% or 3 clicks up

IMG_3476.jpg

Thanks for the pictures, that wake looks great!