Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Extended Bimini Advice

skiguy

Has anyone seen a larger than standard bimini on a Direct Drive boat with a tower? One that goes back at least to the back edge of the engine cover? I'm curious if this has been done and the implications as far as connecting ropes to the tower, pulling a skier or wake boarder etc.

Here is the bimini on my Swoop - I assume smaller than you want.

img1091eu.jpg

I looked at a number of models for this tower - they were all about the same size. I only bought this one because it was "cheap" (new for $275 shipped).

Here is the bimini on my Swoop - I assume smaller than you want.

img1091eu.jpg

I looked at a number of models for this tower - they were all about the same size. I only bought this one because it was "cheap" (new for $275 shipped).

Thanks -- Your tower is exactly the same and the top is about the same size as the one I currently have. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to go the custom route to get what I want. Just not sure how practical a full coverage top would be for wakeboarding and tubing. I'm guessing any bimini that goes as far back as I want it to go is going to interfere with the tow rope in some fashion.

The idea I'm cooking right now would be a slightly larger bimini between the tower with a zipper or velcro on the back edge that would allow me to raise the rear bimini and attach to the front one while cruising and anchoring.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

my extension was custom and worth every penny. getting boards is nbd, but the lower tow point is not usable.

248250_232770713403394_100000114019560_1136857_6361574_n.jpg

Thats some serious coverage, I like it!!!!! I'd also like to extend my bimini before summer but i'll be working with a illusion tower and I bonk my head now on occassion I can only imagine how much worse it will be if I extend it another couple feet.

the girls love it because they can get out of the 115*+ sun easily. that's the best part :biggrin:

Do you get shade on the rear seat? I like the top ending a bit forward like that thus making it easier to get in and out of the cockpit from the ski platform.

Do you get shade on the rear seat? I like the top ending a bit forward like that thus making it easier to get in and out of the cockpit from the ski platform.

not always, but i'd say about 50% of the time depending on the sun's position and our heading while underway. it definitely keeps the whole cockpit much cooler and more comfortable. i've said it a million times, and i'll say it again, it was worth every damned penny. and after using it for 2 seasons, i would gladly pay more than i did, knowing how valuable it is.

this is pretty common. obviously, you don't get 100% coverage all the time, but it FAR exceeds just about everything else.

312949_10150273081134506_714734505_7938156_4839606_n.jpg

298955_10150273082159506_714734505_7938169_8279356_n.jpg