Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

In lieu of painting

UWSkier

This is pretty cool. Wonder if they could do this to an entire hull before cutting any of the through-hull holes. Might cave the thing in without stringers I suppose but it'd be sweet to have a whole-boat carbon-fiber wrap.

Intresting, I would hate to have to make any repairs to the boat after that but intresting.

The coating method is really cool though, I am curious about the durability as well.

I keep seeing more and more of this being done. Pretty neat and an awesome way to coat an odd shaped part with a neat design. I wonder how durable the coating is?

It's just a print, like base coat paint with a design in it, or a silk screen. Durability comes from the top coat, usually automotive clear coat.

I've seen this technique used to apply camo to shotguns, and that was my impression.....that it was pretty much just paint.

That carbon fiber look achieved on that lampshade in the video is just a fancy paintjob, not actual carbon fiber being applied.

It's just a print, like base coat paint with a design in it, or a silk screen. Durability comes from the top coat, usually automotive clear coat.

Yep, which is what I was thinking. Pull it out of the mold, dip it, then hit it with a gel coat. Would look killer.