Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2000 Escape 23LSV

coach09

I've read every post I can find about this particular boat and those with the same hull, and I know it takes a ton of weight to sink this boat. My question is...is it possible to integrate a completely hidden, automated ballast system that provides enough weight (particularly bow weight) to make a good/great surf wave? There's A LOT I like about this boat, but having to deal with manually filling bags (even if it's just a bow sac) is a deal killer...part of the motivation to move away from a DD. Any insight appreciated.

I doubt it. You can have an integrated system but it wouldn'tbe hidden. You would have to have the hose run to the bow and have the sac(s) on the seat and when your not using them tuck them away. There just isn't enough room underneath the seats. Or if your using a bow sac, disconnect it and stow it. I cut the coolers out of my bow to have more room but it didn't add as much as I thought it would. If this is a dealbreaker I would assume that you plan on surfing alot. Maybe consider using lead?

Edited by Simo

I've read every post I can find about this particular boat and those with the same hull, and I know it takes a ton of weight to sink this boat. My question is...is it possible to integrate a completely hidden, automated ballast system that provides enough weight (particularly bow weight) to make a good/great surf wave? There's A LOT I like about this boat, but having to deal with manually filling bags (even if it's just a bow sac) is a deal killer...part of the motivation to move away from a DD. Any insight appreciated.

You can do whatever you want with enough work. :) It's possible to create a stock-like ballast system up front, similar to what others have done with vlxs, but not without a lot of work.

On our 03 23lsv--- while we had ballast up front most of the time, we surfed plenty with just the wedge, 750 in the rear corner (hidden), 650 bag in ski locker (prob more like 500 actual - but hidden), and one more 750 on the surfing side seat (not hidden - but not big deal). Not going to start a debate about placement on these boats but let's just say it was great... to the point that I rarely took the time for bow ballast. Controlled the length of pocket with speed and could surf, spin, whatever all day long, at least to our skill level.

These hulls, IMO, are great. Ski, surf and board.

My first time ropeless was behind a '04 23LSV last summer. Only my third time ever even trying, and I could ride it all day. Stock MLS, we filled the front bag and one side, wedge down, and had 4 guys in the boat on the surf side. On a Broadcast 5.6 board. Then we had a 10 year old ropeless with the same set up on a Broadcast 4.9 board.

So I'd say yes, definitely enough to do it. 2 years from now you may want a bigger wave, and can address additional hidden ballast then if you find you really enjoy it.

i have a 2000 23lsv and i would find it hard to believe that you couldnt get a great surf wave without having bags on top of seats. you will definately need a 500-750 in the rear corner but there is a lot of room under the seats to add more weight surf side. its a great versatile boat....we love ours

Thanks for the feedback. I figured between rear bags, a locker bag and VABs, you could make it work. I just got a little spooked when I read a few post about having to put tons of weight up front.

To save yourself a bunch of work......

Figure out EXACTLY where to put the weight and how much. Then work on hiding/ plumbing it. Boats are finicky and it only takes a little weight out of place to change the wave.

• 2 weeks later...

I have this exact boat and feel like we have the surf wake pretty dialed without much effort. We have a 600lbs sack in the ski locker that we never empty (don't ski and the boat actually rides better with the weight), 750lbs sack in the rear locker and 450-500lbs under the driver side seat (we're goofy footed) and wedge down. We've experimented with putting more weight up front but have found it to be counterproductive. The wake is even better if someone is sitting on the back platform so we may upgrade to a 1100lbs sack in the rear compartment this summer. We surf ropeless all day no problem. The key is to have as much lean as possible. PM if you have questions or send me your email and shoot you a video of the wake and some poor surfing!