Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need Wakesurfing Advice!

bpm0004

I have a 2007 V-ride with stock ballast (2 rear tanks 250lbs and 1 center tank 500lbs). I have a CWB Ride wake surf board. This past summer I attempted to learn how to wake surf. I have no problem getting up or staying up and riding. I just could never get it down with out the rope. Every time i tried to throw the rope in I would quickly loose the push and go out the back of the wave. I am not sure if the problem is the size of wave?? I also think I could be riding the wave in the wrong spot?? Sometimes when I pumped to try and speed up the tip on the board would get stuck under the swim deck and I would just have to fall off. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :thumbup:

Agree.. Especially with that board. A good board makes a big difference as well... However if you have a lot more weight you will get more push out of the wave. I would invest in a 750 and plumb it in the rear locker. Then put another 400lbs on the surf side seat..

Also you don't say... Do you have a wedge and is it down? You need one and it must be deployed to surf this hull.

I don't have a wedge...is that something you HAVE to have....Im not looking for a pro level wave just want to have some fun

Edited by bpm0004

I don't have a wedge...is that something you HAVE to have....Im not looking for a pro level wave just want to have some fun

It's not absolute to surf but I wouldn't order a boat w/ out it, I use it for surfing as well as wakeboarding.

Ya I understand that...I am happy with the wake boarding wake just looking to improve the surfing wake a little.....I'm guessing I would be better to get some extra ballast and no wedge then a wedge with no ballast....Im kind of on a limited budget

Edited by bpm0004

On that hull without the wedge, my experience was that the surf wake was pretty terrible, even when weighted, and even when the wave "looked" good from the boat. Just no push without the wedge on that hull. For us, the wedge made all the difference between a wave with push and a wave without push.

IMHO, YMMV, and all that.

On that hull without the wedge, my experience was that the surf wake was pretty terrible, even when weighted, and even when the wave "looked" good from the boat. Just no push without the wedge on that hull. For us, the wedge made all the difference between a wave with push and a wave without push.

IMHO, YMMV, and all that.

My experience is exactly the same. However I know one member that surfed an 07 vride with no wedge. I really still don't understand why the difference.

Thanks! Thats a little more than I thought it would be.... maybe I can talk my dad into getting it sense I probably can't swing that on a college budget

Edited by bpm0004

as a general rule I agree with the crew - the more weight the better. For whatever it's worth - I found that by deploying the wedge the sweet spot seems to be a bit closer to the back of the boat. My crew likes to be out back a bit farther so we don't use the wedge. our set-up includes full stock ballast on the surf side, full mid + 400 lb sack on the surf side 400lb sack up front. lightest crew member drives, everyone else sits surf side. - I think its a pretty decent wake but like I started out - the more weight the better- I've got the same boat only 08 with the floating wedge

Isn't that the floating wedge wing and not the fixed wing needed for your bracket? Find the fixed wing to match your bracket, it will be cheaper.

You might be right. I just assumed they are all floating in 07 but I have been wrong before. Just ask my wife...

To OP: Do a little research there are two types of wedges floating and fixed. The floating are typically all stainless and the fixed are a combination of NiBrAl and aluminum.

Dalt is right if you have the fixed the foil will probably be cheaper. If you find one used get the one with 3 screws in the wedge plate, not 2 as they are prone to failure.

I have an 07 ride, did alot of surfing this year.....alot. played with alot of combinations. i also have a wakesurf similar or the same.

weight is everything, I run 750's in the rear surf side, 350 on the seat, 500 mid filled and about 600 in the bow. with the wedge I get a closer to the boat steeper wake, without it it is still good just not as steep.........

because u have the bracket and just need the arm I would try and find one......

if not increase the size of your crew.....

and what speed are you at..........

• 4 weeks later...

I also have an 07 Vride and surfed all of the last 2 summers...only surfed because my back was too screwed up to keep wakeboarding.

Wedge down is critical...many times we'd try without it on accident (forgot to lower it) and the wake was bad even when fully weighted.

I'd typically run 750 in the rear locker, center factory tank full, 350 bag in the bow (walkway) and 4 or 5 people. If I only had 3, I'd add another 450 bag to the rear seat on the surf side.

I have the CWB razr and weigh 230-240 (depending on the time of the season...beer) and can ride consistently with the above weight.

I will say, one time, I had all that weight plus 11 people and it was too much. It was extremely tall but too steep and too short. I reduced some of the weight and it improved but I was still running 3500 rpm at 10.6mph...seemed like too much wear and tear on the boat so now I usually limit it to 7 (maybe 8) for surfing...

Hopefully this helps.

Summary: find the rest of that wedge.

750 in the rear locker, 400 under the seat and 750 in the bow. weight in the front extends the pocket. Any number of passengers up to 11 should work with this set up just remember the more weight in the back the more you need in the bow to keep the extended pocket. As noted above the wedge all the way down is critical