Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The Ultimate Wakesurf Board Review Thread

shawndoggy

phase 5 and mucus are going to ride totally different. the mucus will be faster down the line and a little more stable, the phase 5 will be less prone to pearl. If you know how to hold an edge, I think that the phase 5 is probably the easier board to ride (aggressively?) but I don't discount BT's opinion that the mucus is easier to learn on. The thing about skims like the oogle is that they have one small fin in the back so you need to be able to weight the inside edge of the board to cut into the wave. Surf style boards like the mucus are a bit more forgiving in that regard because they are "locked in" with fins.

IMHO there is a human spaz factor that you need to look into the mirror and assess. Are you generally good at picking stuff up like this? Can you snowboard? skateboard? surf or skimboard? Or is it totally foreign?

I've been doing something standing sideways all my life (mostly skateboard and snowboard). My wife, not at all. It took her the better part of two seasons to figure out how to weight the inside edge, and during that time a surf style board was invaluable. She shreds now and can ride a skim no problem (and prefers it)... but had she started out on a skim it probably would've been very frustrating.

In the middle of the summer I am thinking of purchasing a mucus. Does the mucus fit in the wakeboard racks? Any other boards fit in the wakeboard racks? Thanks.....hey what kind of boat were you on? Wedge yes or no...sacs...etc... Edited by Afun

The CWB Tsunami and IS Mucus are both considered hybrids or surf style?

The Tsunami is a skim style and the Mucus is a surf style

Beginner wakesurfer on a small wake about 195lbs. Which board would you pick....CWB Tsunami, Liquid Force Doum, Inland Surfer 4 Squirt, or a used Hyperlite Broadcast for a really good price. I think they will all fit in my wakeboard rack (important) except the Broadcast. Correct me if I am wrong. I like the skim style. Very quick learner.

Other boards not sure....CWB Razr and Phase Danielo Diamond $$$

I changed my mind on the Inland Surfer Mucus for the 50th time...

I can't speak for the other boards but the tsunami will work. I think I said in an earlier post that it works as a beginner board but you can progress on it. Member -BS- is riding very well with one.

I'm thinking abot taking on wakesurfing this summer and am starting to look at boards. Not quite sure if I should go for a surf-style board or a skim board but I'm thinking a skim board is probably the way to go.

Hoping not to spend too much on the board since I'm going into it without ever trying it but I'm hoping to get something that will keep me happy for at least a couple of years or so. I'd be happy to go with a used one but surfing isn't particularly popular here in upstate NY so no options on Craigslist right now. I'm thinking a left-over 2012 or something will be my best option. There's only one shop in the area that carries any as far as I know and they have a 2012 CWB Razr for $200 which appears to be a great price.

Any impressions on that board? I believe it's a surf-style so I'm not too sure if I want to go with it...a Tsunami sounds like it might be more ideal. They'll let me try it out which is great, but not sure how much help that'll be since I have absolutely no experience on any other boards to compare it to.

I can't speak for the other boards but the tsunami will work. I think I said in an earlier post that it works as a beginner board but you can progress on it. Member -BS- is riding very well with one.

Tsunami and the CWB brand works for me. I have the kink 2012 wakeboard and the essential neoprene vest.

Does the Tsunami pearl easily for newbies? Will it work well for a 210lb guy behind a VTX learning for the first time?

How about a closeout 4'8" broadcast for a 130 to 210lb weight range on the same boat?

Edited by SouthsideBoarder

210 on the tsunami works fine. I am 215 and can ride it behind a 21 vride. It will pearl but any skim board is going to pearl some.

Edited by Ruffdog

I picked up a CWB Ride off Craigslist last year. There are nylon washers that space the 1.65" chicklet fins off the board a little bit. Is that normal?

So I tried the Yellow Loogie I bought for the first time last weekend, and it was definitely too small for my current needs. No matter how far back my weight was, that thing pearled in a second whenever I tried to pump. Worth keeping for $100 but definitely am looking for something else.

I've currently got my eyes on some Triple X stuff, specifically the Nitro. I'm 6'2" 215 and the biggest rider in my crew, but we're all pretty much beginners. Would I be better served getting a 5'4" or will I ultimately be kicking myself down the road that I didn't get the 5'0"? 99 Sunsetter VLX with medium wave (~1500# of ballast, 5-6 people, no wedge).

OR I can get a 58" Composite for about $150 less. I think I'd probably prefer a surf style, at least at first, but that's a big enough price difference to have to consider it.

What do you guys think?

Decided to go with and picked up a new 2013 or new 2012 Tsunami for $285. Think that is an alright deal on the board? I'll see what year for sure when it gets here.

It was between that a 2012 Broadcast 4'8" for $220 and the Ronix Marshmellow thrasher which I know nothing about since it is new this year. Since it is a first board that will likely go boat board I didn't want to overspend on the first board.

Did I make the right move?

Edited by SouthsideBoarder
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone have experience with the Phase 5 Colt? I recently got my father hooked and he is 5'11'' 180lbs. His first time out using the colt and was up on the first pull and even able to get some slack in the rope. I want something that is going to be easy for him but also allow me to use it with some room for progression. I am 5'9" 160lbs. We will be riding behind an 08 VLX with MLS, wedge, and 750 in surf locker.

Decided to go with and picked up a new 2013 or new 2012 Tsunami for $285. Think that is an alright deal on the board? I'll see what year for sure when it gets here.

It was between that a 2012 Broadcast 4'8" for $220 and the Ronix Marshmellow thrasher which I know nothing about since it is new this year. Since it is a first board that will likely go boat board I didn't want to overspend on the first board.

Did I make the right move?

The tsunami is hands down a much better board than the broadcast. I don't know much about the other one. My first board was a broadcast. Tsunami is a great all around board and it is beginner friendly.

• 2 weeks later...

Really liking my Victoria Skimboards factor 50" I picked up last years model in the off season on clearance from Cal Marine Sports. Its super responsive and just feels like riding on butter which I find to be both challenging and really fun. This is only my second season riding ropeless and I'm so close to riding away after a 360. If anyone is looking for a super fast, repsonsive, lightweight skim for a reasonable price I would check them out.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Being 5'-9" and 190lbs riding behind a 2006 vlx with 750lb in rear locker and 400lb up in the bow what would be a solid board for me looking to start spins and other tricks? Tried the ronix koal fish and can ride that thing for days, but doesn't want to spin easy and is kind of boring. Also feels like I am always on the brake with it, I think I can ride something a little more advanced.

I was eyeing up the inland surfer black pearl... Is that a good board for me or should I look at something else?

Thanks