Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The Ultimate Wakesurf Board Review Thread

shawndoggy

5 minutes ago, IXFE said:

I figured since we had basically stopped riding the Diamond in favor of the Matrix, that I would list it for sale this morning. I randomly picked $599 thinking that was maybe a bit aggressive, but whatevs. 

I got CRUSHED by messages and it sold full price two hours later. 

I’m tucking away my acorns to upgrade my quiver in the winter

This market is nuts. I’m tempted to list the Soulcraft next... 😬

F02BCF19-A12F-4FD4-8C75-1225A27CF937.jpeg

Crazy... but I believe it.  I was in Bakes for a few minutes today and Paul and crew were selling boards out the door left and right, it was crazy.  Like seriously crazy. (and I think I just got cause up in the excitement.. grabbed two boards (a replacement Potbelly that we wrecked last week), new board bag, new wearable towel thingy for my wife.  Parking lot was full (it's not big.. but i have never seen it full of people coming and going and shoving stuff in their cars. Paul said it has been like that every day for a while now.  Great year for those in the watersports biz :)

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, IXFE said:

I figured since we had basically stopped riding the Diamond in favor of the Matrix, that I would list it for sale this morning. I randomly picked $599 thinking that was maybe a bit aggressive, but whatevs. 

Depending on how I like the matrix I will prob do the same thing, and hope for similar results! 

damn this hobby is expensive! ( but worth it! Lol)

• Like 3
51 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Same thing just happened here 5 minutes ago.  Listed my HH on Marketplace at 3pm  for $650 (thinking I’ll leave a little cushion for negotiations) and got 3 messages and it was just picked up for $630.  We agreed on $600 for the board and I had a cotton board sock that I paid $19 for and he wanted that for the additional $30.  Just a spur of the moment thing where I thought I’ll post and see what happens.  

Now to check with our dealer as they carry P5 and hoping I have the same luck as @gregtay

14 minutes ago, wedge88 said:

Same thing just happened here 5 minutes ago.  Listed my HH on Marketplace at 3pm  for $650 (thinking I’ll leave a little cushion for negotiations) and got 3 messages and it was just picked up for $630.  We agreed on $600 for the board and I had a cotton board sock that I paid $19 for and he wanted that for the additional $30.  Just a spur of the moment thing where I thought I’ll post and see what happens.  

Now to check with our dealer as they carry P5 and hoping I have the same luck as @gregtay

Maybe it is time I let go of my old IS Sweet Spot and Black Pearl boards that haven't been used in years.  I just figured they weren't worth enough to even bother with selling on CL... but who knows!

16 hours ago, gregtay said:

Maybe it is time I let go of my old IS Sweet Spot and Black Pearl boards that haven't been used in years.  I just figured they weren't worth enough to even bother with selling on CL... but who knows!

Trust me. They’re worth a lot right now. People buying boards they don’t even know what they are. It’s almost like,

“I need a surfboard... NOW! Anything will do!!”

I stopped by our local dealer and they only have 2 new boats on the lot.   No used.  Shelves are almost bare of wakeboards, surf boards, skis and most watersports items.  Crazy.  Doubting that there will be many year end discounts on leftover 2020 gear....

11 minutes ago, blk93jeepzj said:

I stopped by our local dealer and they only have 2 new boats on the lot.   No used.  Shelves are almost bare of wakeboards, surf boards, skis and most watersports items.  Crazy.  Doubting that there will be many year end discounts on leftover 2020 gear....

If anyone is looking for a board give Bakes a call.  They (the Northwest Inboards side of things) don't have any boats left to sell but they are doing their best to keep boards (and the other things we all need to keep our boats moving this summer) on the shelf.  

I rode a friends Phase 5 Ahi last night and loved it.  Anyone try one and can offer a comparison to the Matrix (which is so highly regarded in this thread?)

EDIT: Realize that I'm dumb and the Ahi is surf style and the Matrix is skim.  Anyone have any other feedback on the Ahi and what other surf style boards you like?

Edited by Fffrank
  • 2 weeks later...

Thoughts on whether a 5’ 4” Happy Pill would be easier to drop the line on vs my current inland surfer Blue Lake? I am able I drop the line for 5-15 seconds (just need more practice I think)....

On 8/23/2020 at 12:40 AM, Argonaut said:

Thoughts on whether a 5’ 4” Happy Pill would be easier to drop the line on vs my current inland surfer Blue Lake? I am able I drop the line for 5-15 seconds (just need more practice I think)....

What year boat? What’s your height and weight? 

23 hours ago, Argonaut said:

5’10” 195

08 LSV with GSA, 910 PNP each each stern corner, 390 passenger coffin, 390 on top and across back seat.

Yeah we’re a similar size. The happy pill will be better for you. It’s thicker and wider. I may suggest the landlock as well because it’s longer. I surfed for 5 miles straight last month on the landlock. It’s my go to if I’m not foiling or wakeboarding, or want to drink a beer while riding. Very stable. It can shred a bit too, which was surprising. 

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/hyperlite--5-9-landlock-wakesurf-board--19861244?cm_mmc=PS-_-Google-_-GSC>NonB>Vendors-_-19861244&product_id=19861244&creative=108287180284&device=m&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KCQjw7ZL6BRCmARIsAH6XFDJvf8k9kkTM86Dzp9_YcbRY9DL5JuIkUImLEcrUllOjaK5HlFTwZhAaAn-DEALw_wcB

Edited by Raleigh

Thanks @Raleigh! I ordered a Happy Pill and can’t wait to try it out. Once I confirm it works for me I will sell the Blue Lake.

I originally got up in an older Hyperlock a friend loaned to me but didn’t get close to dropping the rope. I didn’t have as much experience as I do now so my experience may be better now but I had to return the loan anyway :)

4 hours ago, Raleigh said:

Yeah we’re a similar size. The happy pill will be better for you. It’s thicker and wider. I may suggest the landlock as well because it’s longer. I surfed for 5 miles straight last month on the landlock. It’s my go to if I’m not foiling or wakeboarding, or want to drink a beer while riding. Very stable. It can shred a bit too, which was surprising. 

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/hyperlite--5-9-landlock-wakesurf-board--19861244?cm_mmc=PS-_-Google-_-GSC>NonB>Vendors-_-19861244&product_id=19861244&creative=108287180284&device=m&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KCQjw7ZL6BRCmARIsAH6XFDJvf8k9kkTM86Dzp9_YcbRY9DL5JuIkUImLEcrUllOjaK5HlFTwZhAaAn-DEALw_wcB

5 miles straight, so I'm assuming you surfed the wave for half an hour?  That's impressive....

So this is a random question.  I have been surfing my Hyperlite Shim for most of the Summer and just threw the landlock in the water for a set last week for giggles.  I was having a hard time staying the wake.  The board didn't feel as "fast".  What do you guys suggest?  Lowering the speed of the boat a bit?  I usually surf at 11 MPH, but I'm thinking that's too fast for the Landlock.  Would be good to hear thoughts....

Thanks for all the threads guys, i'm pretty settled on the MVP 56 at this point. Anyone got a lead on a new one? I've scoured the interwebs without much luck.

16 hours ago, cmargosi said:

So this is a random question.  I have been surfing my Hyperlite Shim for most of the Summer and just threw the landlock in the water for a set last week for giggles.  I was having a hard time staying the wake.  The board didn't feel as "fast".  What do you guys suggest?  Lowering the speed of the boat a bit?  I usually surf at 11 MPH, but I'm thinking that's too fast for the Landlock.  Would be good to hear thoughts....

I find myself surfing at 10.7 with Wedge in middle position on these larger boards, especially if there is a larger weight on the boat (bags) due to the boat not being able to go much faster than that and keep a speed. I always hold the rope for 20 seconds to a minute at least to get comfortable with the bounds of the wave (each wave is a new wave due to weight shifting, winds, etc), so when I drop the rope, I know where the no go zones are. Granted I have a 25 LSV so the wave is bigger than most. 

16 hours ago, cmargosi said:

5 miles straight, so I'm assuming you surfed the wave for half an hour?  That's impressive....

Yeah we were out with my wife and two kids (who were napping) and my buddy. I was told this was my last ride, because we had to get back. We were about 10 miles from the ramp (Kerr Lake; very large, went exploring). So... I just obnoxiously stayed back there. Held the rope for probably 5 minutes then, dropped the rope and 9 songs later, they cut the power to the boat! When I got on the boat it said we had zero gas... but we made it back OK! I also had an additional 1500 pounds of floor ballast so the wave was super nice. 

Edited by Raleigh
18 hours ago, Argonaut said:

Thanks @Raleigh! I ordered a Happy Pill and can’t wait to try it out. Once I confirm it works for me I will sell the Blue Lake.

I originally got up in an older Hyperlock a friend loaned to me but didn’t get close to dropping the rope. I didn’t have as much experience as I do now so my experience may be better now but I had to return the loan anyway :)

The Happy Pill should be just the ticket. It is definitely a nicer board and looks super fun. Go forth and shred! 

what is everyone using for a surf style board? I am thinking to sale my P5 diamond as I will have the matrix still for skim and purchasing a good surf style board . anyone love  one of the phase 5 surf style boards over the other. seems the matrix is the go to on the skim and I am curious if there is a surf style that wins out across the board?

27 minutes ago, smuurph84 said:

what is everyone using for a surf style board? I am thinking to sale my P5 diamond as I will have the matrix still for skim and purchasing a good surf style board . anyone love  one of the phase 5 surf style boards over the other. seems the matrix is the go to on the skim and I am curious if there is a surf style that wins out across the board?

Go custom.  Soulcraft, Chaos, etc.  We got my wife a pretty affordable Chaos Defender this season and she loves it.  Only downside of custom is that you need to be patient.

I have a Soulcraft and would recommend but just bought my daughter a Doomswell which is nice as well.  I have Chaos fins on my Soulcraft and they made a noticeable improvement.  With all three of these brands I was able to talk to someone and get great advice and service.  I am not in an area where we could demo boards so this was very important to help make a purchase we were happy with.  A thread like this is great to narrow your search but each person is looking for just the right fit, I like as much info as possible.

• 5 weeks later...

Rode a new Liquid Force Wildcat 56" last week and LOVED it.  I would probably go down to the next smaller size (I'm 200lbs.)  I was impressed that I could stand in the middle of the board -- I normally leave my back foot all the way at the tail. Spun and rode away my first 360 attempt on it (and my success rate is usually pretty damn low.)  I'll be watching for sales this fall/winter and hope to pick one up.

I made the switch from a P5 swell to a Soulcraft Secret weapon and a Super AV.  We surf a ton and I was expecting something different but nothing drastic.... boy was I wrong, it was a night and day difference.  My old board rode like a tank compared to these.  Here is my first ride on it and you can catch me looking at my wife in the mirror with a bit of a wow and a grin.