Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The Ultimate Wakesurf Board Review Thread

shawndoggy

I actually really liked the Hazard as an introduction to surf style. As a quad it rides like an inland surfer sweet spot, but a little slower. It was fun for airs and alley oops.

It didn't ride well with a single fin like a skim in my opinion. It's better rider as a surf style

wakemitch, is there a board in the LF lineup you would recommend as a step above the hazard (as a quad)?

wakemitch, is there a board in the LF lineup you would recommend as a step above the hazard (as a quad)?

For a step up you should go with a wakesurf manufacturer like Soulcraft or Doomswell. A high end LF will cost about the same, but wont be nearly as high performance.

For a step up you should go with a wakesurf manufacturer like Soulcraft or Doomswell. A high end LF will cost about the same, but wont be nearly as high performance.

I had a feeling you would say that, and I would love to go that route... but... I can get a hefty discount on a '16 LF board, so figured I would take advantage of that before ordering my first custom board.

I had a feeling you would say that, and I would love to go that route... but... I can get a hefty discount on a '16 LF board, so figured I would take advantage of that before ordering my first custom board.

Check out the Machine. I haven't tried it, but Chase Hazen helped design it when he rode for them.

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, joshb said:

Phase 5 Oogle for a first board/extra board for big guys on the boat? $200 a fair price for what looks to be brand new board off CL?

That's a really good deal for a solid board for larger riders.

9 hours ago, joshb said:

Phase 5 Oogle for a first board/extra board for big guys on the boat? $200 a fair price for what looks to be brand new board off CL?

I like mine and I'm a big fella. One day it'll get traded in on a Victoria Factor PCX but at my skill level, they actually ride pretty similar. Factor felt more stiff to me but had a lot of the same characteristics. #imfarfrompro

• 1 month later...
On March 2, 2016 at 2:16 PM, joshb said:

Don't think that board is wnogh for larger riders. 

15 hours ago, ConnollyCrew said:

Don't think that board is wnogh for larger riders. 

I go about 285 and I ride an oogle. I'm sure if I lost 30-50 pounds it would be better but the oogle can be good for larger riders on the right wave. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Trying to figure out which intermediate level surf board to get.  I'm about 170 and will be riding behind an LSV.  Has anybody ridden the slingshot cobra cat?  This board is in the $600 range.  Is it worth looking at boards in $7-900 range?

• 3 years later...

Phase 5 Phantom. Love it but might need to invest in a skim style too. The surf style are harder for me to spin consistently. 

On a side note, I was towing the boat to gas up today.  While I am waiting on a pump, I see in my side view mirror a kid walking up to my truck with my P5 board bag. He saw it fly out of my boat on the roadway, stopped to pick it up, and then followed me to the gas station. I see that the bag strap is broken and both surf fins have torn all the way through the bag. I cringed as I opened up the bag expecting my board to be in pieces, but much to my surprise, there was not a dent or scratch on the board other than the tips of the fins. 🙏🏻 Thank the good Lord and this good samaritan for saving my day!  My board was in the bag on the floor of the boat, but only going about 40mph was fast enough to send it flying out of the boat. 

I love the big cruiser style ones. The hyperlite landlock is a blast... would love to  try out one of the better boards like Doomswell El Jefe 

Edited by Raleigh
  • 4 weeks later...

I've been seeing alot of ads lately for the Hyperlite/Australian SuperBrand collab Ocka. Anyone have experience with this board? 

14 hours ago, TsNoteboom said:

I've been seeing alot of ads lately for the Hyperlite/Australian SuperBrand collab Ocka. Anyone have experience with this board? 

I know the Hyperlite Varials have been well received. Though $999MSRP on that Superbrand Collab with no fins or traction (and no warranty!) seems like an awful lot of money for an off the rack board.  You can get a full custom Soulcraft/Walker/Lakewakes/etc./ etc. for around the same price or less.

1 hour ago, mikewoods said:

I know the Hyperlite Varials have been well received. Though $999MSRP on that Superbrand Collab with no fins or traction (and no warranty!) seems like an awful lot of money for an off the rack board.  You can get a full custom Soulcraft/Walker/Lakewakes/etc./ etc. for around the same price or less.

Superbrand is one of the best board makers in the world. I don't see how a "custom" board is going to be any better. Nonetheless, that's certainly not cheap. I think off-the-shelf ocean boards by Superbrand are quite a bit less than that.

Could someone speculate on the difference between the P5 Aku and P5 Phantom?  I have had the Aku for a couple years and like it a lot.  The Phantom looks interesting, but I don't know how to read between the marketing buzzwords to tell the practical performance and behavior differences?  @eubanks, do you know?

@Slurpee Wish I could help but I’ve only ridden the Phantom. I don’t wakesurf a lot but love that board. Fast, responsive, good push. It’s hard for me to break free for spins but I’m also not very good. 😉

On 7/4/2020 at 12:14 AM, IXFE said:

I gotta be honest, I'm kinda bummed this thread died.  It was one of my favs.  Any chance we can resurrect it?  

I'll start...

I love the P5 Matrix 53.  That is all! 

Who's next?

If you don't mind me asking, how much do you weigh?  I ask because I have a 53" P5 Swell and I'm currently right at the max weight of 185 (dry).  I'm having a hard time riding it this season compared with my larger Byerly Hazard and I'm guessing it's my need to drop 10-15 lbs.  

20200715_190012.jpg

Edited by DAI