Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The Ultimate Wakesurf Board Review Thread

shawndoggy

Hey gang it's winter time in the Northern hemisphere and we've got a lot of time off of the water. One of the things that got me into boating was wakesurfing. One of the frustrating things about wakesurfing has been finding the "right" board. I thought it'd be helpful to start a thread with reviews of boards we have tried, with an honest review about the plusses and minuses of each board. I'll go first...

Inland Surfer Blue Lake -- fast down the line, very stable. Handles a bit like a barn door (i.e. not well), but it's a very mellow ride. @ 165lbs I feel like I can just stand there all day on a reasonably sized wave without doing anything. This board is super durable.

Inland Surfer Mucus -- Fast down the line, and has canted fin boxes (rare for IS boards) so it will pump for speed pretty well. I'd like to like this board more, but it pearls too easily at the bottom of my pump for me to pump it hard with everything I have. It's "OK," and I plan to give it some more time behind the boat next season. Seems very durable.

Inland Surfer Yellow Loogie (SOLD) -- fast and willing to spin. Very flat profile with a slightly upturned nose means that this board is very prone to pearling. Frustrating to ride if you have a hard time paying attention to that. Very good on a small wave. It's very very fast. Durable board, stands up to abuse.

Shoreline Squash 5'0" -- good luck finding this board anywhere. It's a glass over foam surf style board. Lots of rocker and nearly impervious to pearling. Easy to pump very hard for speed. This is a very cut-n-slash surf style board. It's major limitation is all the rocker and no channels on the bottom make it quite slow. On the vride where we rode 9.8 I could keep up on this board but it was a workout. Lots of pumping. We ride at 11 on the MB, and it's not a fair fight. Must pump constantly just to keep up. Great for kids and lighter women, even though it was marketed as a board for 250lb'ers because it's got lots of float and is very stable. We taught several kids to ride this board. This board dents easily and I have had to do a few rudementary fiberglass repairs on it. Fragile!

Phase 5 Squirt -- This is a kids board and my son won it from Towanza. It's supposed to be limited to 80lbs and less, but my 90lbs son has no problem getting enough push out of it, and I can even ride it @165 (albeit pumping like a madman). This board is great for jr. shredders because it's small enough for them to maneuver easily. My son never used to slash or cut on the surfboard at all, but on this board he can be all over the wave. I'd say if you are competent and have a decent sized wave, someone as big as 125lbs can ride this board pretty easily. Super durable board and small enough to stow in the rear locker of a v drive.

Phase 5 Icon -- Only one day on this board and it was at the end of the season so hard to give a thorough review. We bought this because we liked the scamp so much. The board we got has the shorter fin, and that makes it much looser that the Squirt. Easy board to slide on the lip for instance. This board is not as fast as the inland surfer boards, so we had to slow the boat down a bit. It is very easy to spin and I'm looking forward to completing some 360s on it next season. Durable cap construction.

Hyperlite Landlock (old version -- SOLD): I owned the old pointy version, not the newer longboard looking one. This board was "just OK." Mostly it was slow and had a very hard time on a small wave. Pretty stable though. There are better boards out there, but these being from hyperlite are ubiquitous. @ $100ish used I'd say it's a good boat board. Semi durable and heavy. Our used version did start to separate at the nose, and I did a poor man's epoxy repair on it before selling.

Hyperlite Broadcast 4'9" (SOLD) -- yuck. I really didn't like this board. It was slow and pearled in a heartbeat. Not much redeeming about it at all.

• Like 2

Hey, I like this thread! I'm in the market for a better board for 2012 season so this could really help me.

Last year was my first year wakesurfing, behind the Echelon and behind a buddies '04 LSV. I went ropeless behind both, and started doing some cutting and goofing around. But my experience is extrememly limited to a handful of times, so FWIW.

Hyperlite Broadcast 5.6 - This is our "adult" board. It seems slow, but then again I'm not riding much of a wave on the Echelon. Feedback on other threads makes me think I need an Inland Surfer board. I plan to remove the outside fins next season to see if I can get more speed. Part of the problem is dialing in the wake. Once that is done, I can stand and ride the board all day...but lose speed quickly with tricks. Haven't learned the art of pumping yet.

Hyperlite Broadcast 4.9 - This is our "kid" board, I haven't tried it. I assume with our boat it's too small. But I got about 6 kids up on it over the summer, it was small and light and they could pop up nice with it. My 100lb 11 year old rode it ropeless very well.

As mentioned by Shawn, my main reason for getting these boards was that they are good "boat" boards, and the price was right ($340 for both including a storage bag). But now I think I (and my lady) need something faster.

I am a board nerd so I love these threads.

The biggest problem for people is that 99% of shops don't carry real wakesurf boards, let alone demo them. That needs to change.

Ive been really lucky by living in the bay area and sacramento area, so I can try out every board because of California Marine Sports. I've ridden so many wakesurf boards and they are all so different.

Im 5'8" and 150lbs as a reference.

Skim

Calibrated Piscus 51": My favorite board ive ever ridden. Super fast down the line, rides backwards great, has a good feel (not too thick and high off the water), very responsive, snappy, spins quick on shuvs, and very loose. I teach everyone on it too up to 215lbs.

Phase 5 Danielo Diamond 51": Good speed, very smooth, stable, and thick

Victoria Skimboards Factor 51": Fastest skim ive ever ridden, Very responsive. (my second favorite board)

Inland Surfer Keenan 51": Very smooth, faster than lower level skims, but not as fast as other pro boards down the line

Inland Surfer Moss 51": Slower and heavier keenan

Inland Surfer Black Pearl 58": Too big for me, but i learned shuvs and 360s on it. Not very responsive compared to pro boards

Inland Surfer Squirt 5'0": Fastest beginner board ever. You can still out progress it fast, but its much better than anything around that price

Surf

Inland Surfer Flyboy 4'6": Most responsive and fastest board ever, and its lose enough to whip it around. As a skim rider I had a very hard time getting comfortable, but it is still so much fun. The feeling of the board is great. It feels alive because its so snappy.

Original Flyboy 4'6": Same as IS flyboy

Shred Stixx Thresher 4'11": Lots of fun but very tiring. You have to pump this board constantly, but carving around is so fun. Very stable

Shred Stixx Hazen 4'8": Again, lots of fun but very tiring because you have to pump a lot. Also, as a quad your legs will get worked trying to spin it and slide it. The thing is made for big air

Inland Surfer Sweet Spot 4'9": Very stable and very fast down the line. I could spin it and slide it easily. Doesnt carve well though

Inland Surfer Mucus 5'0": About the same as the sweet spot but a little slower. And it was too long for me

Walker Project Signature 4'6": Responsive, quick, and can spin

Walker Project F-18 4'8": Great mix of down the line speed and drive from pumping. I think this board could work for everyone. It is also loose enough to slide it around and spin well

Wakeboard Brands

LF Custom 4'6": confused board. Shape of a skim but thick like a surf. It just felt awkward

LF Venture (08): pretty good for a $299 wakeboard brand shape, but still a slug and unresponsive

Hyperlite Landlock: a log. It rode straight and slow. I was over it in 20 seconds

Hyperlite Broadcast: slow and loves to pearl. un responsive

CWB Ride: slow and unresponsive

I didnt go in to detail, but if you want more detail just ask

• Like 3

I am a board nerd so I love these threads.

The biggest problem for people is that 99% of shops don't carry real wakesurf boards, let alone demo them. That needs to change.

Ive been really lucky by living in the bay area and sacramento area, so I can try out every board because of California Marine Sports. I've ridden so many wakesurf boards and they are all so different.

Im 5'8" and 150lbs as a reference.

Skim

Calibrated Piscus 51": My favorite board ive ever ridden. Super fast down the line, rides backwards great, has a good feel (not too thick and high off the water), very responsive, snappy, spins quick on shuvs, and very loose. I teach everyone on it too up to 215lbs.

Phase 5 Danielo Diamond 51": Good speed, very smooth, stable, and thick

Victoria Skimboards Factor 51": Fastest skim ive ever ridden, Very responsive. (my second favorite board)

Inland Surfer Keenan 51": Very smooth, faster than lower level skims, but not as fast as other pro boards down the line

Inland Surfer Moss 51": Slower and heavier keenan

Inland Surfer Black Pearl 58": Too big for me, but i learned shuvs and 360s on it. Not very responsive compared to pro boards

Inland Surfer Squirt 5'0": Fastest beginner board ever. You can still out progress it fast, but its much better than anything around that price

Surf

Inland Surfer Flyboy 4'6": Most responsive and fastest board ever, and its lose enough to whip it around. As a skim rider I had a very hard time getting comfortable, but it is still so much fun. The feeling of the board is great. It feels alive because its so snappy.

Original Flyboy 4'6": Same as IS flyboy

Shred Stixx Thresher 4'11": Lots of fun but very tiring. You have to pump this board constantly, but carving around is so fun. Very stable

Shred Stixx Hazen 4'8": Again, lots of fun but very tiring because you have to pump a lot. Also, as a quad your legs will get worked trying to spin it and slide it. The thing is made for big air

Inland Surfer Sweet Spot 4'9": Very stable and very fast down the line. I could spin it and slide it easily. Doesnt carve well though

Inland Surfer Mucus 5'0": About the same as the sweet spot but a little slower. And it was too long for me

Walker Project Signature 4'6": Responsive, quick, and can spin

Walker Project F-18 4'8": Great mix of down the line speed and drive from pumping. I think this board could work for everyone. It is also loose enough to slide it around and spin well

Wakeboard Brands

LF Custom 4'6": confused board. Shape of a skim but thick like a surf. It just felt awkward

LF Venture (08): pretty good for a $299 wakeboard brand shape, but still a slug and unresponsive

Hyperlite Landlock: a log. It rode straight and slow. I was over it in 20 seconds

Hyperlite Broadcast: slow and loves to pearl. un responsive

CWB Ride: slow and unresponsive

I didnt go in to detail, but if you want more detail just ask

Where can you get a Calibrated?

Skurfer, they will be releasing boards sometime in the spring, hopefully. They are kind of unpredictable so who knows, Hopefully they end up making boards again

Skurfer, they will be releasing boards sometime in the spring, hopefully. They are kind of unpredictable so who knows, Hopefully they end up making boards again

Please send me a PM if they do or if you know where I can get my hands on one.

I approve of this thread. Anyone have any input on XXX boards?

Good question. I haven't been on the new Inland boards or ever on Shred Stixx, but the Slasher 4'8" (surf) I like it better than TWP boards, but not quite as much as the original Flyboy that I have. So far the Flyboy is my favorite surf style board.

Edited by skurfer

skurfer, follow the Calibrated and/or California Marine Sports facebook to know when the boards are ready. CMS is the exclusive Calibrated online retailer, but you can also ask your local boardshop to carry Calibrated (that is what everyone should do when they cant find the boards they want. The wakesurf brands always want new dealers, but dealers dont bring in the small brands because no one asks for them. people go straight online and dont give the shops a chance to order the board for them)

From what I've heard is that the XXX skim style boards are around the same performance level as the Inland Surfer black pearl/contagious/ooze

For their surf style boards I've heard they make a good intermediate board around the same performance as the Inland Surfer Mucus.

I'm hoping next year I can try some XXX boards because it would be cool if they made a good board for their price. I have heard of them ripping off shapes, so that is what has pushed me away from them in the past. But they are giving their riders pro models next year, and I like to support brands that support their riders.

Edited by wakemitch

XXX Wakesurf review.

Slayer Pro X surf - This is the fastest board I've ever riden but it's thick, really thick. Major pop off the wave with this board. Only will really fit in a larger sized wakesurf rack. If a person were to get this one I'd opt for the inegra fabric wrap, makes this thing nearly indestructable. No matter where I was at on the wake one pump and I was where I wanted to be. It rides really high on the water so that takes some getting used to. Comes with 4 fins which makes it a little to locked in for my liking but you can remove any or all of them.

Slasher Pro X surf - By far my favorite board I've ever ridden, EVER! This thing does everything well. It's quick, forgiving, agile, and responds really fast. Only downfall IMO is that it's typical fiberglass construction and will dent and crack pretty easy, I don't like keeping it the racks unless I have it in the bag. That's common with all fiberglass boards though. This is the board I ride 90% of the time, and to me the funnest I've ever had. This board is great for beginner to advanced as I've had all skill levels tell me they really enjoy this board.

Composite pro X skim - The only skim board I've cared for. It's really loose but has good speed down the line for a skim style board. Spins are easy of course but can pop off the wave pretty good too for a skim. I prefer the surf style boards more but this is a fun board to have in the stable.

Nitro Pro X surf - This board was so similar to the Slasher that I sold it after the first week while it was still really new. It is epoxy though so it will hold up better than the slasher.

I enjoy the XXX boards more than the Inland Surfers I have and have had in the past, especially for the price! Can't go wrong with these boards if you ask me.

Reviewer’s bias: Most of the people in our group prefer skim style. When you try to ride a surf style board like a skim board, it doesn’t work too well. Thus, the reviews of the surf style boards below should be viewed with some skepticism.

Hyperlite Landlock: Big in every way surf style board. Very stable, fairly slow. Because it is so thick, it is a little hard for beginners and smaller riders to get tipped up to start, but very stable for them to ride once they get up. If you want to practice balance tricks (fire hydrant, getting down on your knees, pointing both feet forward, going to your belly, etc), this board is super stable for that. Because it’s so slow and stable, it tends to take a bigger wave to keep up. Most people we teach start on this board.

Inland Surfer Sweet Spot – Our group never could ride this board very well, but most of us prefer skim to surf style. Pearled easily, and the edges didn’t ever feel locked in. Many people love this board, but we had trouble with it.

Inland Surfer Blue Lake – Stable, mid-speed board. Faster than the Landlock, but still not what you would call a fast board. Good for bigger riders who want to cruise, but not get too aggressive.

Phase 5 Daniello Pro Carbon – a favorite in our group. A pure skim style board. Feels a little squirrely the first couple times you ride it, but if you have progressed to where you understand edging, it is really a blast to ride. Very fast, very easy to keep up with the boat. If you are no longer a true beginner, this board will fit your riding from there all the way up to expert level. Very predictable, spins and turns on a dime. Gets a little harder to ride if you are much over 175lbs.

Phase 5 Trident – If you are looking for a skim board for 175lbs – 225+, this one is great. Four fins, so you can set it up lots of ways. Amazingly fast and easy to keep up with the boat even for bigger riders. Our 190 lb riders think this board is faster, easier to spin and less likely to pearl than the Daniello. Again, one of the best things about this board once you ride it a few times is that it does exactly what you want it to do – the edges lock in great, but you can spin and slide it extremely easily. Very happy with this board.

• 4 months later...

What do you guys think about the Inland Surfer Black Pearl Yellow 4'8"? I currently have a Hyperlite Broadcast 5.6 but want to upgrade to a board that is more suited towards tricks and getting some air.

I learned my first 360s and shuvs on a Black Pearl Yellow. It is a really nice board. It isnt the fastest for its size, but it is a very user friendly skim. Plus you can add side fins if you want to

This is a great thread, thanks for all the reviews! I have been wanting to learn to wakesurf but with all the boards on the market, I was unsure of what to get and confused/overwhelmed. Still am a little, but think I can narrow down someto with theses reviews!

This is a great thread, thanks for all the reviews! I have been wanting to learn to wakesurf but with all the boards on the market, I was unsure of what to get and confused/overwhelmed. Still am a little, but think I can narrow down someto with theses reviews!

If you try something be sure to add a review. I think beginner reviews can be especially helpful.

Shawndoggy, will do! Being the same size as wakemitch, I am trying do decide on my first board being a skim or surf style. I had to look up the difference between the two and I guess I am leaning toward the skim.

Shawndoggy, will do! Being the same size as wakemitch, I am trying do decide on my first board being a skim or surf style. I had to look up the difference between the two and I guess I am leaning toward the skim.

How new to surfing are you? If new, I would absolutely suggest a surf style. Actually, I'd suggest finding a used older board for $100 or something, learn, and then decide on a skim-style if that's the route you wnat to go. It is much harder learning on a skimstyle than surf. Drive is totally different.

How new to surfing are you? If new, I would absolutely suggest a surf style. Actually, I'd suggest finding a used older board for $100 or something, learn, and then decide on a skim-style if that's the route you wnat to go. It is much harder learning on a skimstyle than surf. Drive is totally different.

Review some boards 85! Seems like you've developed some opinions through experience.... share the basis for them, please.

85 Barefoot, I've never surfed before or have anyone around to teach me, let alone know what a lot of the terminology means (having to use google a lot!). May just try that then if I can find a used one somewhere.

Review some boards 85! Seems like you've developed some opinions through experience.... share the basis for them, please.

Well my general opinion is that a surf-style board is the easiest to learn on. Length and fins allow a more stable ride for a beginner. I learned on a hyperlite landlock prolly 8 years ago and its a great learner board. Then started riding an O'brien Abyss, still a "surf-style" but smaller than landlock and more maneuverable. Now I have two XXXs, one skim the name of which is eluding me and a slasher pro. Slasher pro is cool, I'd prefer more rocker in exchange for speed but its fun. The XXX skim is what I spend most of my time on now. Although it will ride medium waves, the gas and brake pedals are smaller than on a larger surf-style like the landlock to learn on. I also find that the lack of fins makes it difficult for beginners to aggressivle "reset" in the sweet spot when they need to if dropping back or getting too far outside. IF I had to do it all over again, I'd keep the XXX skim and pick out another surf-style with a little more rocker for a little more forgiveness when thrashing the wake :rofl:

85 Barefoot, I've never surfed before or have anyone around to teach me, let alone know what a lot of the terminology means (having to use google a lot!). May just try that then if I can find a used one somewhere.

Then do not start with a skim-style. There is not near the margin of forgiveness of the size of the gas and brake and it requires a much larger wake to ride successfully.

jwl019, I would agree with 85. Go with a surf style for your first board. I'd suggest a Hyperlite Broadcast as it's a great learning board and readily available pretty cheap or used. CWB Ride would be another good learner/first board. And after you get better, those boards are always good to keep around to teach other noobs.