Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

wet suit vs dry suit

hyperlitenerd

Well I decided I should get a dry suit or a wet suit so I can ride in our frigade waters here ;);) But the question is a full suit or a dry suit?? what do you guys and gals suggest. spending 300$ would probally be my limit. I dont think the water here gets below 50, correct me if I am wrong.

The question is, how often do you ride in cold water? What's your limit in a wetsuit? Mine is the about 60, below that I would have to go to double wetsuits before I got the drysuit. Also, how quickly does your water warm up to above that point?

well I went out in november, the water was probally low 60s, and I was just fine in a spring suit. In 54 degree water for our test drive in the same spring suit, bad idea. So would a full wetsuit give me more range for water temp. I dont think i'd ride more than 4 times in cold water. I dont think I have too much growing left, just a few more inches.

Low 50's drysuit : mid to upper 50's you could get away with a full wet suit. Alot also depends on air temp and how long the ride will last.

Only four times a year...go full wet suit....

good luck..

Low 50's drysuit : mid to upper 50's you could get away with a full wet suit. Alot also depends on air temp and how long the ride will last.

good luck..

Also depends on how much water your wesuit lets in and how much it turns over.

Goods seals, seams and zippers and a full wetsuit is golden.

My shirt barely gets wet in my full drysuit and I was fine on November 5th - 47degree water/50 degree air...

Unless you are a wuss...a wetsuit should be fine for No Cal

Dave

Go baggy dry, that way if it's real cold put sweats under the suit, if it's marginal you can skip the sweats and if it's too warm for that, you probably only need a shorty.

I might do 1 or 2 wakeboard/wakeskate runs, then wakesurfing. Ill basicly wear the wetsuit in the boat as well, since it keeps you very warm when not in the water, found that out last time. Some of these new wetsuits are supposed to be extra flexable, and if anything the resistance from the wetsuit will help me with my regular wakeboarding.

But the question is a full suit or a dry suit??

Which one do you want to be able to pee in? :)

Go dry my friend, go dry.

We were in Calero last week. It was 54 and I was glad I had the dry suit. Besides, in NorCal it's not so much a question of being dry or wet in the water, it's how well do you do being wet in the boat?

If you're dry once you're out of the boat and it's a bit windy, no problem. If you're already wet - fogetaboudit.

Dry.

Edited by chathamsolutions

Gotta vote for dry as well.

I must be more of a wuss that other, 'cuz I think I use the 115 degree rule ;)

When the water dips below 60, which is usually around late nov in the delta, the dry suit comes on.

-Robert

I don't care what the temp the dry is always better for wakeboarding. You stay dry, your not restricted, I love it. I did the wetsuit for years I would never go back to a wetsuit and they are harder to get on and off.

While Andy is heating up his wetsuit again.... Surprised.gif

I'll put a vote in for the dry suit. Can be worn with/without warm clothes underneath and IMO is not as restrictive.

Santa dropped one on my doorstep from Adrenaline Watersports...less than $300 and includes a 3 year warranty.

good luck..

Also depends on how much water your wesuit lets in and how much it turns over.

Goods seals, seams and zippers and a full wetsuit is golden.

My shirt barely gets wet in my full drysuit and I was fine on November 5th - 47degree water/50 degree air...

Unless you are a wuss...a wetsuit should be fine for No Cal

Dave

Dave - What brand dry suit do you have? I am considering purchasing one very soon.

Rob

Get a cold water wet suit and you will be set. My friend got one for surfing and when he went wakeboarding in December with the water at 37* he wasn't cold and the suit is so thick (yet really manuverable) that it took 10-15 minutes before the water actually got to his skin Shocking.gif

But seeing as those are tons of $$$ you wold be fine with a nice 4/3/2 wet suit. I have one and will use it as long as the water is about 50*

seems like the overall opinon is go dry. So what are some good brands, good prices, might pick one up at the boat show we a few other things we need to get for the boat.

www.smoothwatersports.com

You can pick up a USIA.com suit from Peter for just over $300 shipped to your door. Highly recommend it. The CFO has one.

I use an O'Niell Boost. You will probably be able to find them at the boat show, or in the summer for around $300. Normally though, they are close to $400.

seems like the overall opinon is go dry. So what are some good brands, good prices, might pick one up at the boat show we a few other things we need to get for the boat.

I'm also thinking of getting one at the boat show if the price is right. From what I've seen they run about $350, unless you find a closeout. I've heard the bare ones are good and I'm guessing the o'neil ones are good too.

-Robert

www.smoothwatersports.com

You can pick up a USIA.com suit from Peter for just over $300 shipped to your door. Highly recommend it. The CFO has one.

I use an O'Niell Boost. You will probably be able to find them at the boat show, or in the summer for around $300. Normally though, they are close to $400.

you know what I should do is try your out some time ;) we are putting out boat in indoor storage so we can take it out on a good day without having to worry about having good weather the next day to dry it out.

Definitely drysuit. my full wet suit sits in the closet - i think i've used it twice (anyone want to buy it :) ).

I hold out as long as I can with a shorty or long sleeve top, and then switch to the dry suit.

...Unless you are a wuss...a wetsuit should be fine for No Cal...

Our lake gets down to the upper 30's...why don't you bring your wetsuit on over and take some sets... Surprised.gif ...unless of course, you're a wuss. :lol:

I'd go dry. When it gets too cold for my spring-suit I go straight to my drysuit. I haven't worn my full wetsuit in years.

The one that I just picked up at the boat show is an O-Systems Breeze, their most basic model. It was $250 at the show, I'm not sure what kind of deal you can score at yours. I haven't used it yet, but one thing that was a plus is that it's made in the USA (actually fairly local, just an hour or so northwest of Portland) so it gave me the warm fuzzy feeling of supporting our own workers. I looked at their website & they've got an entire section dedicated to parts & maintenance, so it seems like a good company.

I'm anticipating that I'll probably just put the longsuit away.

Edited by WakeGirl

The one that I just picked up at the boat show is an O-Systems Breeze, their most basic model. It was $250 at the show, I'm not sure what kind of deal you can score at yours. I haven't used it yet, but one thing that was a plus is that it's made in the USA (actually fairly local, just an hour or so northwest of Portland) so it gave me the warm fuzzy feeling of supporting our own workers. I looked at their website & they've got an entire section dedicated to parts & maintenance, so it seems like a good company.

Im buddies with a few of the guys at the boat shop, so I might beable to rough them up a little and get a better deal.