Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2012 Slingshot RAD Binding first impression

calvinclark

I just got my new Slingshot Lyman 144 in along with the new RAD Bindings. I am really going to be "chomping at the bit" to get out on the water in the spring. Now, I am coming off of a season with the 2011 Recoil and RAD bindings so I was very anxious to see how Slingshot was gonna improve over the previous year. I haven't had these new bindings on the water yet but I have tried them on and inspected almost every part of them. Here are my thoughts.

New lacing system: They have definitely made getting in and out of your boots easier by separating the upper and lower laces with thier own pull-string.(the pull strings seem a lot stronger) Also there is a pull-tab added to the laces that helps you get loose quick.

Removable Liner: Just as comfortable as ever! I have put these babies in the over and heat formed them to my feet and can say that I have few pairs of tennis shoes that are as comfortable. They also have a new "J-bar" stabilization thing on the back that is supposed to eliminate heel lift. Not sure about the effect it will have but it really does give you a more stable feeling.

The binding itsself is still bottomless which gives you the feeling of standing directly on the board. Also, They are TRUE TO SIZE (for me at least). This wasn't the case with last years model.

EVERYTHING about this binding has a much more premium, durable, quality look to it over last years model IMO.

This is all I can comment on until I actually get some time behind the boat but right now its looking like 2012 will be a great year for Slingshot!

PS: Best of luck to Keith Lyman...The world needs a lot more men like him.

2uy6gk4.jpg

I'm hoping for a chance to demo this setup in the spring, I'll be watching for your riding review. I've got an older SS Response that has been a great board, ready to upgrade though.

How was foot release on hard falls with last years RAD's?

Foot release was great. I had a couple pretty bad falls last year and the board came off before I could injure something. It was still rough on my ankles getting jerked out of the boot, but I was able to keep riding. I keep my bindings a bit loose for this reason though. I'm sure if you tighten the RAD down then you may be in a little trouble.

Can you tell me what size shoe you wear and what size bindings you got? also how did the heat moldable liners change the fit? I wear a 10.5 shoe and have been told that i need size 10 bindings but i had size 11 D2's and the fit perfectly.

Thanks

Ryan

I wear a size 11...the fit for 2011 was off by a half size but that's been fixed for 2012. As far as heat molding goes, it gives you the feeling of the liners being made just for you. They feel like they fit much better and, IMO, are more comfortable after being heat formed.

Edited by calvinclark