Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Keyed backup for 2011 models

Fman

That would be too easy! I must say, the MTC and Maliview are sweet, when working properly they are super nice.... I also cant say enough good things about the new G3 Tower, bimini, body style and newer hull designs of the VLX.... super impressed with them! so far, not one regret buying a newer VLX :thumbup:

Hopefully five years from now she is still running strong, which would put us in the 600-700 hour range if we continue to spend as much time on the water as we have the last three years. Considering my son is going to start riding in the INT this 2012 season, I cant see us cutting back any.

The new tower is sweet and a huge improvement over the illusion that's for sure, love to have that on my boat.

The Norcal INT is cool lot’s a great competition that is run by the Payton’s. He’ll definitely see some very talented riders oh, and also see some great plankers too…lol

The new tower is sweet and a huge improvement over the illusion that's for sure, love to have that on my boat.

The Norcal INT is cool lot’s a great competition that is run by the Payton’s. He’ll definitely see some very talented riders oh, and also see some great plankers too…lol

Definitely liking how Malibu continues to improve there product every year, will be a great excuse to trade in the 2011 in a few years... :)

I took him out to the regional finals this September to take a peek at what its about. He was chomping at the bit all day to throw his board on, so needless to say, he will be giving it a try in 2012. We stayed all day, even went to the BBQ dinner, everyone was really nice and the competition is good. All the riders encourage eachother, which was really nice to see.

We also got to watch Josh Twelker ride, he was awesome... the Outlaw division had some super impressive riders, some of those guys will be going to pro level.

Heres a few pics I took...

IMG_8044.jpg

IMG_7937.jpg

IMG_7991.jpg

Here is a pic of Josh and my son, he was all smiles that day :biggrin:

Tan_Josh_pic.jpg

• 1 month later...

At the Nashville boat show last weekend I spoke to two different Malibu dealers and a factory rep. All three said that no retrofit at this time. I expressed my displeasure to the factory rep. I said honestly, the wiring harness could easily be modified on 2011 models.

To me, the fact that they added the key backup tells me that they know this was enough of a problem to add the backup.

I will keep pressuring my dealer because they are only a few hours from the factory and seem to have a good relationship with them.

Luckily, I have had no issues with my MTC so far.

At the Nashville boat show last weekend I spoke to two different Malibu dealers and a factory rep. All three said that no retrofit at this time. I expressed my displeasure to the factory rep. I said honestly, the wiring harness could easily be modified on 2011 models.

To me, the fact that they added the key backup tells me that they know this was enough of a problem to add the backup.

I will keep pressuring my dealer because they are only a few hours from the factory and seem to have a good relationship with them.

Luckily, I have had no issues with my MTC so far.

Good luck with Malibu on this one... I hope you have some success, but as time goes on I am loosing my faith in them for this issue.

I just ordered my ignition "plug and play" module from Peter at Smoothwater. $135 with shipping, this will bypass the entire MTC if there ever was a failure, blown/loose fuse, etc... If they ever do offer to 2011 owners, I doubt Malibu will offer this free, and I cant see it being anywhere close to $135 considering the prices of all the other aftermarket components. Cheap insurance for me, sign me up...

Dang, just realized that I started the thread Peter mentioned. LMAO!

I will have to get that bypass. Where does it plug it? I am guess it plugs into the harness where I was pointing in the pictures on the other thread....

Edited by bamabonners
  • 4 years later...
On 12/5/2011 at 1:36 PM, Tims said:

The key is located right next to the circut breakers that are under the throttle control. It's one of the reasons that I traded up to a 2012.

Do you just turn key to start? Mine just spins inside and doesnt start. i have 2012

2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Yes, works like a regular ignition switch,  sounds like yours is loose.

What about the other toggle switch that's run/start. Does that need to be up or down? My key has a red plastic piece of the end that looks like it's supposed to be attached 

Just now, SnubNose said:

What about the other toggle switch that's run/start. Does that need to be up or down? My key has a red plastic piece of the end that looks like it's supposed to be attached 

That is where the lanyard attaches if you use one - leave it alone.  If you flip that switch then the boat won't start at all.

Edited by oldjeep
6 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

That is where the lanyard attaches if you use one - leave it alone.  If you flip that switch then the boat won't start at all.

Hmm so my ignition must be loose. How would I go about fixing that? I bought boat new and have never used keyed ignition...

Edited by SnubNose
1 minute ago, SnubNose said:

Hmm so my ignition must be loose. How would I go about fixing that? I bought boat new and have never used keyed ignition...

I'd have to look at mine, but I assume there are a couple screws holding that panel on.  Remove them and pull it out - tighten the nut on the back of the ignition switch.

1 minute ago, oldjeep said:

I'd have to look at mine, but I assume there are a couple screws holding that panel on.  Remove them and pull it out - tighten the nut on the back of the ignition switch.

Actually just looked at it.  The nut is on the outside - that knurled ring under the key guard.  See if it is loose.

7 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Actually just looked at it.  The nut is on the outside - that knurled ring under the key guard.  See if it is loose.

Ok I'll take a look this weekend when I am at lake. I hope my screen holds up but I'm guessing I will have to fix it regardless if I ever want to sell this boat. I guess spending $80k is just the beginning the real fun is when your warranty is up. Kinda pissed my dealer didn't catch it either I always have them inspect my boat at end of season. My warranty ended in March. 

• 3 years later...

I realize this is an old thread - does anyone have a link to where I can purchase a key-start kit for my 2011 Wakesetter?

Ryan

On 5/15/2020 at 10:02 AM, wakeparadise said:

I realize this is an old thread - does anyone have a link to where I can purchase a key-start kit for my 2011 Wakesetter?

Ryan

Your dealer can order the part for you. I got one installed in my 2011 LSV last summer. PM me your email address and I'll send you tech memo from Malibu with part numbers and instructions on how to install it. Parts were about $150 if I remember correctly. The instructions make it look like a pretty straight forward install and I was going to do it myself but I ended up having my boat in the shop for something else and my dealer hooked me up while they had it.