Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Keyed backup for 2011 models

Fman

This isn't a keyed backup retrofit. This (what I've done) is a bypass switch, for emergency use only. I use it to test the engine totally disconnected from the boat systems.

Peter

- The '12's have a regular key switch down under the throttle, aft of the circuit breaker panel.

Edited by SmoothWaterMan

There is supposed to be some kind of emergency only under the dash thingy for the 2012 models...

The key is located right next to the circut breakers that are under the throttle control. It's one of the reasons that I traded up to a 2012.

If I dont find out more information on a retro-fit from my dealer, I will be purchasing Peters emergency backup. This is just as good as a keyed backup, it would only be necessary if the MTC failed and would get you started again and back to the dock. My 2011 is completely dialed in, I cant imagine trading in for a 2012 only for a keyed backup.... for $129 I will take the emergency bypass switch.

If I dont find out more information on a retro-fit from my dealer, I will be purchasing Peters emergency backup. This is just as good as a keyed backup, it would only be necessary if the MTC failed and would get you started again and back to the dock. My 2011 is completely dialed in, I cant imagine trading in for a 2012 only for a keyed backup.... for $129 I will take the emergency bypass switch.

There is no retro for '11 models from the factory, so a dealer solution is all that is available.

There is no retro for '11 models from the factory, so a dealer solution is all that is available.

How did you find this information out? I was told by my dealer a few weeks ago, they are offering 2011 owners a retro system. Did you find this out from someone at Malibu? or your dealer?

How did you find this information out? I was told by my dealer a few weeks ago, they are offering 2011 owners a retro system. Did you find this out from someone at Malibu? or your dealer?

That was directly from corporate.

What does "jumping" the red and purple wires do? I understand it bypasses the MTC. Is it to engage the starter (and then you remove the jumper once it's started)? Or does the jumper need to stay in until you want to turn the engine off?

That was directly from corporate.

Thanks for the info, just put a call into my dealer today, waiting to hear back from them.... it sounds like Peters switch will be on order for me in the near future.

I have heard from multiple people they are not going to offer any 2011 owners a keyed backup retrofit from the factory. I put a call into my dealer last Wednesday, and of course I have heard nothing back from them... this seems to be how they operate most of the time, is it that hard to return a phone call??? maybe I will hear something back this week...

I just ordered Peter's plug and play ignition backup module, its $129, and will plug into the ignition harness incase of the MTC failing and not throwing power to the starter. With his harness you could might be able to hardwire it in and mount it somewhere in the helm area, but I am electing to keep it in the glovebox and hopefully will never have to use it. Peter made a good point, there has been nobody with the MTC today that has been stranded because of this problem, its probably very unlikely it will ever happen, but his module is always a nice backup to have.

I have heard from multiple people they are not going to offer any 2011 owners a keyed backup retrofit from the factory. I put a call into my dealer last Wednesday, and of course I have heard nothing back from them... this seems to be how they operate most of the time, is it that hard to return a phone call??? maybe I will hear something back this week...

I just ordered Peter's plug and play ignition backup module, its $129, and will plug into the ignition harness incase of the MTC failing and not throwing power to the starter. With his harness you could might be able to hardwire it in and mount it somewhere in the helm area, but I am electing to keep it in the glovebox and hopefully will never have to use it. Peter made a good point, there has been nobody with the MTC today that has been stranded because of this problem, its probably very unlikely it will ever happen, but his module is always a nice backup to have.

No return call = no or they have no idea and don't care to look into it. If you need answers in the future call Ethan at Harrison's marine in Redding....superb service.

Let's at least make that one confirmed stranded because of MTC failure. I was finally saved by a wave runner and towed back to the dock. Boat was down for a month waiting for parts. Happy to have the key back up now.

No there are is another confirmed stuck on the water failure.... 2nd week of June, was towed in off the water by a XStar. Loose ignition fuse was the cause....

I got my jumper relay from Peter today!!

Let's at least make that one confirmed stranded because of MTC failure. I was finally saved by a wave runner and towed back to the dock. Boat was down for a month waiting for parts. Happy to have the key back up now.

Sorry to hear about this, looks like Peters plug and play will be perfect for this application. The $129 will be a bargain price if I ever need to use it!

No return call = no or they have no idea and don't care to look into it. If you need answers in the future call Ethan at Harrison's marine in Redding....superb service.

Just recieved a return call today from my dealer, looks like nothing available right now. He did mention they are working on something for a retro-fit, but there was no release date as to when (if) it would be available. I cant imagine it would be free, and probably not less than $129.

Seems to me that all you guys with this "troublesome" MTC system need to have Peter's system as a back up just like carrying a spare prop. Am I right?

Seems to me that all you guys with this "troublesome" MTC system need to have Peter's system as a back up just like carrying a spare prop. Am I right?

Considering how many boats have the MTC (guessing over 1000+ now) chances are probably pretty slim of a catastrophic failure not being able to start, but like anything else when on the water, always nice to have a backup just incase. I have over 100+ hours on the new MTC and it has been flawless, maybe they installed one that has no bugs.

Or go old skool like us... :lol:

That would be too easy! I must say, the MTC and Maliview are sweet, when working properly they are super nice.... I also cant say enough good things about the new G3 Tower, bimini, body style and newer hull designs of the VLX.... super impressed with them! so far, not one regret buying a newer VLX :thumbup:

Hopefully five years from now she is still running strong, which would put us in the 600-700 hour range if we continue to spend as much time on the water as we have the last three years. Considering my son is going to start riding in the INT this 2012 season, I cant see us cutting back any.

Edited by Fman