Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dry suit

rjgogo

Looking to get my wife a dry suit for Xmas. What is the best one and where to buy. I have to work all day but she was skiing with friends until Nov 1 and borrowing a suit, big deal for where we live where it gets really cold. . I would like to get her one of her own.

I have seen the ones at overtons and barts but my guess is that is not the best place, any advice?

I am guessing no way to share one since she is about 5.2 and am about 5.8 or so.

If I were to get one to replace my current on it'd be a Barefoot International. You could probably get away with a medium, but keep in mind over time you'll stretch out the seals but they are repairable. You'll pay $$$$$ for it, but don't go cheap on it.

Borrowing/ sharing a drysuit is a real PITA. Good time of year to buy one w/ all the holiday sales going on.

Yeah, the Barefoot Int'l is an option. Was she using a "baggy style" dry suit before, and happy with it ? If so...

My daughter is very happy with her Eagle drysuit. If you get a membership at barefootcentral.com, the cost of the membership is immediately defrayed in the purchase of an Eagle suit...(since you'll save 15%). They also have free shipping til end of year. No affiliation, just passing this along.

I also like the ONeill Boost, but had to return two that I got for my daughter, as the wrist seals (on a M) were so big that they did not come close to sealing her wrists...or even mine.

If you want to spend $100 less, check out wileyski.com or adrenalinewatersports.com for their "baggy style" suits.

edit...one more thing, I would call whoever you decide to buy from to make sure that they have size you want in stock....so you'll get it for Christmas. They are often backordered.

Edited by davemac

Borrowing/ sharing a drysuit is a real PITA. Good time of year to buy one w/ all the holiday sales going on.

Yeah, the Barefoot Int'l is an option. Was she using a "baggy style" dry suit before, and happy with it ? If so...

My daughter is very happy with her Eagle drysuit. If you get a membership at barefootcentral.com, the cost of the membership is immediately defrayed in the purchase of an Eagle suit...(since you'll save 15%). They also have free shipping til end of year. No affiliation, just passing this along.

I also like the ONeill Boost, but had to return two that I got for my daughter, as the wrist seals (on a M) were so big that they did not come close to sealing her wrists...or even mine.

If you want to spend $100 less, check out wileyski.com or adrenalinewatersports.com for their "baggy style" suits.

edit...one more thing, I would call whoever you decide to buy from to make sure that they have size you want in stock....so you'll get it for Christmas. They are often backordered.

I would second the Eagle. Lighter and FRONT zipper. Good for any type of skiing.

I absolutely hate the latex seals on most dry suits and would go with the Assault Hybrid 3mm Drysuit from O'neill for that reason. But this is a personal thing.

I have and liked my Bear but quit using it because of the seals. I use a SWS suit but they have quit making them and are very hard to find.

Anything to make the season longer should put a big :biggrin: on ones face.

I lived in the Pacific Northwest for a few years and pretty much lived in my OS systems baggy style. My family and friends have always had the baggy style so I can't compare. But you can pretty much wear anything under it. I sometimes keep my work clothes on if I have a lunchtime set. Plus I like a little extra drag in the course.

Sharing drysuits is tough, especially if your taking more than 1 set each, and the latex seals to go bad after 3 -5 years with heavy use in my experience, 5 -7 with light use, especially if you don't take care of them.

Been using a Wiley's StayDry for over 10 yrs now, only 2 sets of wrist seals & feet, and one neck. They own a suit manufacturer in Oregon who makes suits for themselves, plus OS, Bare, Adrenaline & a handful of others.

Not sure if they still do it, but they have had custom made suits done for us many times...... had a pink & purple one made for my wife a few years back. :rofl:

All, Thanks for the replies, lots of places to look now as this is not something I have a lot of experience with. She used a rear baggy back zip it was way big and they taped the legs and wrists with electrical tape prior to every run. It leaked in the neck and she always did a beach start. Went almost everyday at lunch with friends while I was stuck working. She was pretty happy about finally skiing in November in northern IL.

Thanks again, now have a good starting point.

Been looking and it looks like the Eagle is pretty good with the front zipper which is a plus since you can get it on and off yourself. From the comments, looks like the advice is it will be her suit only, she is 125 lbs and I am 185 so no reason to ruin a good dry suit as she will use it way more than me. I can ask for one for my birthday but she has way more time to ski than I do but I am a P**** about the cold water way more than she is ;-). I would be wearing until June if it were me. I'll wait for my own.

One thing I could not find was the OS that was mentioned a google search did not turn up anything.

Who is OS

Also the Wiley looked pretty good.

I ended up buying 2 Adrenaline dry suits that have the built in booties and reinforced butt for hydrofoiling. I am way too big for my wifey to wear mine. She wore mine last season and the neck/wrists leaked pretty bad. If you really want to play in the cold water.....get dry suits for each specific size that you need. We each have our own now and will never go back. She fits her Medium perfectly and I fit my XL perfectly.

I recently bought 2 Oneill Boost drysuits, a mens size S for my wife who is 5'5" and mens size M for myself (I am 5'8"). I liked that the Boost has rubber seals on the ankles and at the wrists and wetsuit type neck. The Medium is fine on me but felt a bit long so I took a set in the wife's Small just to try it out and I think that something in between the Small and Medium would be perfect but it's not a big deal so I just ride the Medium most of the time. I'm not sure if they make a XS in that suit but my guess is something along those lines would be good for your wife who you said is 5'2".

I ended up buying 2 Adrenaline dry suits that have the built in booties and reinforced butt for hydrofoiling. I am way too big for my wifey to wear mine. She wore mine last season and the neck/wrists leaked pretty bad. If you really want to play in the cold water.....get dry suits for each specific size that you need. We each have our own now and will never go back. She fits her Medium perfectly and I fit my XL perfectly.

Right on, Brian.

Like I said, I'm over 10 yrs on the same suit with only a couple of seals having to be replaced. The key is to take care of it. Don't leave it in your boat. Hang it out to dry. Then roll it up in a big plastic bag & store it away from all you gas/oil/ engine stuff in your garage.

Mike & Darren have been great about supporting our sport..... making these suits specifically for foil riders, sponsoring riders & events, etc. I ride with my socks on, and many times have my wallet & car keys in my pocket. Even had my cell ring inside it a few times. The non-skid butt, rubber feet & velcro wrist cuffs are great for what we do. I hope any foil rider out there will give Adrenaline & Wiley's dry suits a good look. :rockon:

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Been looking and it looks like the Eagle is pretty good with the front zipper which is a plus since you can get it on and off yourself. From the comments, looks like the advice is it will be her suit only, she is 125 lbs and I am 185 so no reason to ruin a good dry suit as she will use it way more than me. I can ask for one for my birthday but she has way more time to ski than I do but I am a P**** about the cold water way more than she is ;-). I would be wearing until June if it were me. I'll wait for my own.

One thing I could not find was the OS that was mentioned a google search did not turn up anything.

Who is OS

Also the Wiley looked pretty good.

ossystems

Right on, Brian.

Like I said, I'm over 10 yrs on the same suit with only a couple of seals having to be replaced. The key is to take care of it. Don't leave it in your boat. Hang it out to dry. Then roll it up in a big plastic bag & store it away from all you gas/oil/ engine stuff in your garage.

Mike & Darren have been great about supporting our sport..... making these suits specifically for foil riders, sponsoring riders & events, etc. I ride with my socks on, and many times have my wallet & car keys in my pocket. Even had my cell ring inside it a few times. The non-skid butt, rubber feet & velcro wrist cuffs are great for what we do. I hope any foil rider out there will give Adrenaline & Wiley's dry suits a good look. :rockon:

I agree completely, these dry suits work great for foiling. I was plenty warm last weekend and Jen only got cold because she wore my gloves that were already wet (have already ordered her ones that will fit better). We hang dry them in the shower and spray the seals with silicon each time before they go into their bags, then stored under the bed.

• 4 weeks later...

Kokatat GMER Goretex. Expensive but as bombproof as you can get in a drysuit. IMO, Goretex is the only fabric made for total immersion. Warm and dry all day long. Best options to get are the attached gore-tex socks and relief zipper. I've had several drysuits and the GMER will go in colder water than u ever want to be out in.