Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Spare Tire Carrier

PaulH86

So I bought my IRIDE over the summer, and the previous owner did not tow with a spare, or a bow safety chain or tie down straps for that matter. I took care of the latter right away and ordered my spare the first week I had the boat, but never got around to getting a carrier. I am looking for recommendations for a spare tire carrier. Trailer is a single axle Boat mate trailer. I want the spare to site on the front of the trailer. I see one on Boatmates website for 60 and there are some on Overtons for less. Anybody have any opinions on either route to go?

Thanks,

Paul

I ordered mine from Boatmate and had them paint it to match the factory trailer color. Mounts on the front of the trailer and has already saved me on the side of the road once!!

1322955853' post='500169']

So I bought my IRIDE over the summer, and the previous owner did not tow with a spare, or a bow safety chain or tie down straps for that matter. I took care of the latter right away and ordered my spare the first week I had the boat, but never got around to getting a carrier. I am looking for recommendations for a spare tire carrier. Trailer is a single axle Boat mate trailer. I want the spare to site on the front of the trailer. I see one on Boatmates website for 60 and there are some on Overtons for less. Anybody have any opinions on either route to go?

Thanks,

Paul

If your trailers is from Boatmate spend a couple of extra bucks and get the matching carrier. It looks better and when I added mine it was about the only one that you could mount a 6 lug wheel too.

I've had the HarborFreight tire carrier on my Extreme trailer for over 4 yrs now. No problems at all. :rockon:

image_13776.jpg

I bought this one from the canadian version of harbour freight (Princess Auto).... cut it to fit the the height of the trailer tube.... welded to my trailer and painted to match... looks like factory and cost me $14.00. It is cheaper for me to buy this (which is all welded out, predrilled and comes with lugs and nuts) and then modify it and install it... than it is to buy the material and fabricate from scratch; not even taking into account the time.

I ordered mine from Boatmate and had them paint it to match the factory trailer color. Mounts on the front of the trailer and has already saved me on the side of the road once!!

Was having them paint it an extra charge? My trailer is orange (as boat is orange and white). I might want it orange if thats the one I choose

No extra charge for paint if I remember correctly. $60 total plus shipping is what the invoice I just found in my email says. If you provide the VIN# for your trailer they will match the original paint.

quote name='PaulH86' timestamp='1323034940' post='500250']

Was having them paint it an extra charge? My trailer is orange (as boat is orange and white). I might want it orange if thats the one I choose

My trailer is red to match the regal red gel coat. I called boatmate; gave them my VIN and got the colour code and paint type. They use an an industrial single stage epoxy that I couldn't get a colour mixed by our autobody supply place. I had a local body shop use there automated colour matching machine on the trailer and shoot a sample (and give me the automotive paint code), then the autobody supply place mixed up some rattle cans. I use it for chip repair and for projects like this tire carrier

you know I had my tire like this on lat trailer, with my extreme trailer it is now underneath...which I think is best if not in the salt....in the salt I will opt of the below next time.

I find myself running around with the spare tire off alot, I only put it on when I head more than 100 km's

I've had the HarborFreight tire carrier on my Extreme trailer for over 4 yrs now. No problems at all. :rockon:

image_13776.jpg

Thanks for the timely tip. Just ordered a Harbor Freight carrier for $20 including shipping. The place we got our boat had put on used tires when it did not pass inspection (consignment boat). The tire in worst shape had a tube in it and blew on the way down the highway. Got a new tire on the way and don't want to take that chance again. The mount looks like it matches our black trailer.

Thanks,

Paul

Found mine at wal mart for less than 40 bucks. Don't remember exactly how much.

Your Extreme didn't come with the factory under frame carrier?

I know, crazy, huh.

I have a buddy with an 06 LSV that has the carrier in the rear on one side. I like how the setup looks. But I don't think I'd like it much if I had to get under the trailer to drop the tire. If the flat was on the same side, I thought it looked like he might have to have the trailer up on a jack to get it out from underneath too.

I admit, the HF carrier is not going to win any awards, but it's not rusty, is still bolted on securely, is not in the way & hasn't give me any problems at all. :unsure::thumbup:

Got mine at Northern Tool for 30bones. But its black and my trailer is blue, looks absolutely horrible.....

if you only knew someone withe a black trailer that needed one..... :whistle: JK, paint it!

• 3 weeks later...

So went over to the parents house today and they had ordered me a spare tire carrier for Christmas. I haven't put it on yet but Boatmate color matched it as said in previous post by just providing vin number. Also I had no idea they were ordering this for me they knew I wanted/needed it so I am very glad Boatmate automatically color matches it. Photo link attached. Only other off season part my boat needs at this point is depth sounder and summer 12' is ready to happen.

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l508/paulharenberg/sparetirecarrier.jpg

Also my sister bought me a couple Malibu t shirts which are pretty cool.