Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

how to start a WOW event!!

tmc#1

There is a thread started in the Crew Get together area about a SE WOW here: http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....topic=3378&st=0

Most of the WOW's started as just trying to post a few weekends and see if there is an interest in your area for a group get together at a local lake etc.. Our WOW in CA is not dealer sponsored, just a bunch of guys willing to commit to a get together. In this case its a Northern CA WOW, @ a lake that is about 3-1/2 hrs from my house. So, you may need to also try to get people to commit to a mutual area that is within reach of members in your area.

You could contact other members in your area as well, like LarryS he is in TN.

One other idea, you could contact your dealer and see if he or another dealer does something, or has interest. I know in Southern CA, Tilly's has a WOW like event every year in Havasu, BUT in Northern CA (we have the largest dealer for Malibu) and your lucky to get a hot dog stand at one of there annual sales :)

Edited by stewart

No Wake, a Malibu dealer in Cincy, holds a "beach party" event on Lake Norris toward the end of July. I'm not sure what all they do, but I might consider the trip if we don't pull together any kind of Midwest WOW.

I started WOW in 02’ (on MBO) and we had about seven boats show up. I just picked a location that was centrally located and picked dates that worked best for everyone. At that time, none of us had met each other than discussing on the board. Someone just has to take the lead and set it up the event will materialize as you go thru the process some people will commit some won’t and there isn’t much you can do other than plan it and move forward. Do the leg work find a location, explain the amenities of the lake and weblinks to register for campsites or houseboats, setup times to meet up although I wouldn’t suggest regimenting a schedule on the water as it’s just too difficult to work as members bring friends who want to ski and just hang, or families with kids need some down time for sleeping etc. This also means you’ll want to hear what the attendees liked disliked and try to change next years to best suit the group. Every year we’ve continually grown in attendance and now regularly schedule events like our recent winter party, boat show gathering, Memorial Weekend, and WOW. I does help if you have a lot of members in the area. You could enlist the help of your local dealer to help spread the news, ask Malibu to post the events on the corporate site etc. Just keep in mind that having dealer participation comes with it’s issues such as less people show up than originally committed and what not. It’s good to just be clear with them about the event. Our local dealer doesn’t do any events such as these so that is why I started them.

Take a look at the announcement page for Norcal WOW for some ideas.

Edited by Malibudude

You would think that the Dealer would want to do something.

What better way to sell boats than to bring a few to a gathering of customers who already own your product?

What better way to sell boats than to bring a few to a gathering of customers who already own your product?

I agree but when you own 7+ stores they must think differently, granted I've never approached them about such an event. I wouldn't be surprised if insurance issues come into play.

It's highly dependant on the dealer. Ours is going to put on a BBQ for us on Saturday afternoon & a poker run with door prizes, & it was all his idea - I never approached him about it. He wanted to do it. He's also bringing at least 1 '06 boat out as well. Should be a lot of fun.

I agree but when you own 7+ stores they must think differently, granted I've never approached them about such an event. I wouldn't be surprised if insurance issues come into play.

I assume your talking about Copes, dude. They have a dealer in Seattle too. And they have brought boats to various events plenty of times over the last couple of years. Most recently they had a boat at the NW Flyin between Portland & Seattle. Insurance is an issue but you just have to make sure you have all your ducks in a row. We had the event sanctioned by USAW & they had $500k in insurance so all was good.

I assume your talking about Copes, dude. They have a dealer in Seattle too. And they have brought boats to various events plenty of times over the last couple of years. Most recently they had a boat at the NW Flyin between Portland & Seattle. Insurance is an issue but you just have to make sure you have all your ducks in a row. We had the event sanctioned by USAW & they had $500k in insurance so all was good.

Good to hear!! I just don't know of any events they had attended in our area. Again not saying they won't as I've never asked them. Tilley's, Nowake and others seem to do a customer appreciation day and the largest chain doesn't.

How can I start a WOW in my area of the Malibu-world? Do I call Malibu, dealer, or what!!! Need some input and ideas

What part of middle TN do you live in? If you're around nashville, I'm sure Andrew at TNT would be willing to help out. He mentioned at the boat show that he wanted to try to have more events this year. I'm sure Danny from Pirates Cove would be interested as well if you're looking to do something in middle TN. And I would definitely be up for it.

How can I start a WOW in my area of the Malibu-world? Do I call Malibu, dealer, or what!!! Need some input and ideas

TN is close enough to Indiana/Kentucky/Ohio that we would be interested in helping out. Our dealership is actually doing a houseboat trip at Dale Hollow the first weekend in August. We already have 2- 90 footers reserved, and planning on bringing 4 new Bu's down with us. I would be willing to tie it in with a Midwest WOW. I'm sure JeffK would be up for it, and possibly No Wake too. Let me know.

Edited by Madmanacrossthewater
Where on Dale Hallow are you going to go out from?

Wolf River. We tied up just past the cliffs this past year, and it worked out pretty good. The only drawback was having to drive (by water) to Willow Grove for beer on Sunday Morning. IIRC it was like 14 miles by water ! Pat's kid tubed behind the boat all the way to and from! I remember when I used to have that kind of energy.

Edited by Madmanacrossthewater