Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

powdercoating revisited

I was convinced while back at the other three-letter site in our former life, that powdercoating the windshield cap was the way to go for that irritating habit my boat has of chipping off black paint if I look at it wrong. Saturday, while dewinterizing, I unscrewed the obvious screws that appear to hold the top frame of the windshield on, and gingerly attempted to remove it. Then I thought, before I add to the old "I'm an Idiot" thread that gusthecat (remember her?) started "way back when", let me pause a moment for reflection.

Is the "cap" the entire top part of the frame, so that if I pull it up and remove it, there is just the bare glass edge along the top? Does the thin rubber gasket thingy that is at the bottom edge of the cap pose a royal PITA when trying to get it and the cap back on? I just want some comments from those that have BTDT. Until Saturday, I thought the cap was just the very top rounded portion that might come off by itself, but obviously not. I don't want to get it off, get it nicely powdercoated, then not be able to reassemble.

Gee, I'm glad someone else asked that so I won't have to ask and look...er...never mind! But really, I'd like to know too because I'd like to have mine refinished...

I bet it would be a pain to get back on, not impossible, but a pain.

Another idea that I used on my old boat, as it had a snap on towing cover that was neat (since the snaps were already there when I bought the boat, so I didn't have to ok the drilling of 67 holes in the boat), but the movement of the cover wore the black off of the front edge of the black winfshield frame. I bought several cans of different black (semi gloss, semi flat, trim black, etc., sprayed a little into a empty can & used a small brush to dab it onto the frame, let the sample dry to see if one was a close match - one was, & I just brushed it on. The spray paint is so thin that there is not a big build up of paint & it was pretty much an invisible repair.

Bump.gif

...just thought I'd make use of this emoticon in case some brilliant powdercoaters missed this compelling question... Help.gif

You need to pull Smooth as Glass into this conversation. He wrote the following in a previous life.

from MB..er..uh... WSR :

mike slear Posted Apr 26 2004, 04:47 PM

Some may remember I took on the DIY frame paint project. Well after a year its back to chipping and lookin like @%, so after finally finding someone to powder coat and for 40 bucks, they got it today. Sorry if anyone took my suggestions on the Self etching primer. Apparently doesnt do well on aluminum, or my prep was bad, although it looked great for a season. Should be noted that the Bu is on a lift and the cover is buffeted by wind frequently, could have contributed to falure. just FYI, and wondered if anyone had success. 

Good luck.

Edited by John I.

thanks, John...I didn't realize mikeslear was with us...another "formerly known as" ex-MBOer that I didn't recognize. Mike S. was who I had been thinking of as we had e-mailed back and forth on the topic some in our previous life. I'll either PM him or maybe he'll see my question. Thanks for the cross reference.

Powder coat is way to go. Its in the yellow pages. Not that hard to get off or on. but a little soap helps. just be sure u get the rubber in smae place it was. and be sure to tell the powdercoater to do the grooves in the frame , my guy thought something was suppose to go in the groove.! Really should have been a warranty issue long ago. mike

HR,

If you are convinced you want the same color then don't read on.

But, what I did with mine (Thanks Mike 00LXI for the idea) was with the greatest of care I used acetone and super super fine steel wool and took off all the color the I used mother's and buffed the living crap out of it now it looks like chrome or should I say a newer Malibu, it has also been very easy to maintain.

HR,

But, what I did with mine (Thanks Mike 00LXI for the idea) was with the greatest of care I used acetone and super super fine steel wool and took off all the color the I used mother's and buffed the living crap out of it now it looks like chrome or should I say a newer Malibu, it has also been very easy to maintain.

Do you have a picture?

I have disassembled my complete frame to re-paint it. And yes, it is a PITA. Each large panel took me about 1hr t put together. And that is after I had done the side panels first and had a feel for it. On the newer boats, I think these are all one piece. Bigger piece, bigger pain.

I had no choice, the previous owners had the top pulled loose and by it was all scratched up.

I also took it to a place called Redi-Strip to have them strip it. They quoted me $50 for the job. They were not happy, it took them 3x the amount work than what they thought.

Good luck.

I emailed Malibu regarding this same problem on my 2000 Sunsetter. They said that the windsheild had a 1 year warranty. NOT what I wanted to hear.

Basically, we are on our own with this. I also feel that this is something that should be addressed.

HR,

Do you have a picture?

I'll try soon, due to crappy weather, the boat is still in the storage garage under cover. :)

• 1 year later...

have you checked with your local autobody shop. I had my boat in for power polish, when i went to pick it up i happened to flip back the cover a bit and Pino said "oh you should have told me about your windshield frame, I could have easily painted that for you." at least i know for next year.

about the wind buffeting the tarp, try cutting one of those pool noodles part way and slip it over the windshield frame.

• 1 year later...
HR,

Do you have a picture?

I'll try soon, due to crappy weather, the boat is still in the storage garage under cover. :)

Sounds like we are all in the same BOAT Crazy.gif ...no pun intended. I would like to see pics as well. How long have you had yours that way. I'm wondering how it will wear over time?