Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VLX with a Hyundai Seasall V6

wdr

Was over on the WW site (link- http://www.wakeworld.com/news/feature/2011-surf-expo.html) and found a few pictures that might be of interest to everyone. I don't know if this is a Hyundai or Malibu venture and I wouldn't think that the demographic that buys Wake or Ski boats would be interested in a V6 regardless of the power rating or technology, but obviously someone thinks they would be. I think I will keep my gas burning, knuckle dragging Neanderthal V8.

Gasoline motor, I'd never consider a V6. This being a diesel...I'd have to test drive and consider it at least. Imagine upping the boost a bunch with it. :) I'm sure it would be an overpriced option.

Edited by Nitrousbird

May not be that crazy a price considering the upgrade price to an LSA. For us surfers out there a diesel would be right on the money... as long as they mange emissions and soot.

May not be that crazy a price considering the upgrade price to an LSA. For us surfers out there a diesel would be right on the money... as long as they mange emissions and soot.

LOL, the 3.0L Seasall is rated @ 247HP and 362 lb/ft of torque - far below the LSA's 555HP and 545 lb/ft of torque. That's over double the horsepower and nearly 200 lb/ft more of torque - not exactly a fair fight! That Hyundai motor is also really heavy @ 735lbs where an LSA weighs in at 467lbs. For near equal money, I can't see how anyone would buy the Hyundai motor.

Edited by Nitrousbird

Someone just needs to make a good electric wakeboat and end this. I am tired of taking 8 5-gallon gas cans up the road. I would happily plug in for 8 hours overnight for 3 hours of hard riding the next day. Think how awesome the tunes would sound behind a 100% electric boat!

It's a diesel. Was at surf expo a few months ago and I took and posted the pictures then. Fuel consumption is getting left out of the equation as to torque although it would have no interest to me.

Water Hazard,

Nautique has a demo Electric Boat out there and there's a guy here in the Chicago area that is producing Electric Motors that can do in ski boats. There's also a conversion company that can handle the retrofit for you.

Those days are coming quickly.

With the price of gas staying where it is, these options are looking better and better.

LOL, the 3.0L Seasall is rated @ 247HP and 362 lb/ft of torque - far below the LSA's 555HP and 545 lb/ft of torque. That's over double the horsepower and nearly 200 lb/ft more of torque - not exactly a fair fight! That Hyundai motor is also really heavy @ 735lbs where an LSA weighs in at 467lbs. For near equal money, I can't see how anyone would buy the Hyundai motor.

LOL...thanks

I was thinking along the lines people are already willing to drop 10-15K + for an engine upgrade... here is another option... not intended as a side by side engine comparo.

For a surf boat that 300 lbs in motor will help.

Edited by G-Mack

Another option.... I was at the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart today while on a business trip. Here is a picture of a Porsche Offshore engine. 770 hp 800 ft-lbs of torque. May be a bit more costly an upgrade than an LSA or a hyundai diesel.

post-11113-091900300 1322866855_thumb.jp

Edited by G-Mack

At this point it time, I say electricity and water do not mix. Whether someone is dumb enough to try to get to the engine on the water, or some fool dropping the cord in the water while charging at the dock. Ill stick with gas. Diesel would be cool though ....

MC offered a VW diesel for several years, and while it was popular with some folks in europe it never really caught on. It was a 30k engine upgrade over the standar 5.7 RTP.