Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

For Identification experts

From the above posts, I'm going to guess your drive shaft coupler bolt came out. :)

For some reason when I bought my boat, I found about 40 large washers in the bilge, mostly stacked together. They don't look like they belong anywhere on the boat either.

Yep, it holds that shaft coupler bolt tight.

No it didn't..................... ;)

Just for kicks you should replace that nut.....and maybe the others while your at it.

Edited by Ruffdog

I'd replace all the nuts and bolts and lock-tite them all. Of course, don't lock-tite a stainless nut to a stainless bolt.

Pete, does that weld them together or something if you do use lock-tite?

Steve B.

Pete, why loc-tite? what are you supposed to do when you need to check alignment or replace strut bushing?

blue loctite just gums up the threads a bit and doesn't make bolts unbreakable. Just tends to keep 'em from coming loose. Red loctite on the other hand can cause some consternation.

blue loctite just gums up the threads a bit and doesn't make bolts unbreakable. Just tends to keep 'em from coming loose. Red loctite on the other hand can cause some consternation.

I think there are 3 colors indicating different hold strengths but I think the question to Pete is; why is stainless any different?

Of course, don't lock-tite a stainless nut to a stainless bolt.

IIRC, this was hit on in an earlier thread and as I recall it was due to SS fastener on SS fastener violence. :biggrin: SS, it was stated "has a tendency to gall the metal when it comes in contact with another SS fastener when you don't use anti-seize of some sort. I haven't experience this yet, but I don't work with SS a lot either. I do know that after using "red" Loctite I have broken a number of low grade steel bolts/bolt heads trying to get the bolt out afterwards. I can only imagine the amount of grief, cussing and blood I would spill if I ever user "red" on a SS shaft coupling bolt when it came time to take it off. Not to mention it takes an 80 lb Russian contortionist with hands the size of a Barbie doll to get to the shaft coupling bolts. :Doh:

Blue Loctite would be the one to use.....I found out about SS bolts to nuts fusing if you don't use anti seize the hard way! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I found this bolt in my bilge when i was winterizing.

I'm worrying about where it could come from.

Is someone able to tell me which bolt it is?

Thanx

imgp1482p.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Most likely a drive shaft bolt, many malibu's built in TN in 2006 and some of 2007 were built with the WRONG size coupler bolts. 3/8"x2" is wrong (too small), the holes on the v-drive and the shaft coupler actually need a 7/16" x 2" or 7/16"x2 1/4" bolt. depending which drive shaft coupler you have.

Malibu NEVER let this info out. but all boats built after 2007 are now using 7/16" bolts.

FYI

• 2 weeks later...

Most likely a drive shaft bolt, many malibu's built in TN in 2006 and some of 2007 were built with the WRONG size coupler bolts. 3/8"x2" is wrong (too small), the holes on the v-drive and the shaft coupler actually need a 7/16" x 2" or 7/16"x2 1/4" bolt. depending which drive shaft coupler you have.

Malibu NEVER let this info out. but all boats built after 2007 are now using 7/16" bolts.

FYI

Thank you

So you think i have to find 7/16" bolts?

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you

So you think i have to find 7/16" bolts?

I would if it was my boat, most "Do It Best" hardware stores and ACE hardware have good bolt selections, they should have stainless in 7/16". the big issue would be finding the brass nuts. I am VERY agains stainless bolt and stainless nut. The chances for seizing is great. I have had this happen to me 2 two many times.

If you use the smaller bolts and your coupler holes are slightly boogered, there is a very great chance your bolts will loosen again even if you use blue or red loc-tite.

I use ss 7/16 bolt, brass nut, ss lock washer and RED loc-tite.

good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting this topic popped up.Is there anywhere else these bolts and nuts could come from? I found 2 in my bilge throughout last season and cant find where they go.Ive got all 4 in the coupler and cant figure where they are missing from. 05 xti 220hrs.They are exactly the same as the ones pictured. Thanks