Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ski purchase

Slayer

I'd go with the Senate. I'm a novice, open water 15 off, 30-32 mph skier and switched from an HO Triumph (similar to the Theory) to the Senate a last year and wish I did it sooner. The Senate gets on edge much easier, accelerates quicker and as a previous person mentioned the ski doesn't jump as much crossing the wake if your body position is off. I'm 6' 3" 200 and have a 69" Senate which gives me a little more support at 30 mph but I'm sure the 67" would be fine.

I'd go with the Senate. I'm a novice, open water 15 off, 30-32 mph skier and switched from an HO Triumph (similar to the Theory) to the Senate a last year and wish I did it sooner. The Senate gets on edge much easier, accelerates quicker and as a previous person mentioned the ski doesn't jump as much crossing the wake if your body position is off. I'm 6' 3" 200 and have a 69" Senate which gives me a little more support at 30 mph but I'm sure the 67" would be fine.

The 67" is the size the op would need. The 69" is way too big. In the course I bet you'd like the 67' better as well. I came off a 70" a few years ago to 67" and wished I'd done it years earlier.

:plus1: on the 67" I skied 67" for years and went with the 68" D3 but in truth it is not one inch longer than my old 67 Goode Its very close to the same length.

a 69 is a big ski.

And your thoughts on a specific ski?? Found a great deal on a Senate that I'm considering.

I've never been on a Senate but everyone who has can't be wrong. D3 nomad would be great.

come to think of it, you want to buy one? I have the white top, prob 2007. Great shape, always bagged. My pm is full and I haven't had opportunity to renew so just reply here. $350 shipped. More than a k new.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

I agree with the others on the Senate..nice ski. I got the chance to demo the Senate 69 a couple of months ago and came very close to pulling the trigger. I've been on a 67" for years and even though I've gained a lot of weight (sitting at 200 lbs), I wasn't completely comfortable with the larger ski. I would love to demo a Senate 67. Too bad they don't make it in a 68.

With the money it takes to bring home one of these, I don't think I could pull the trigger without a chance to try it out. I might take a harder look a the secondary market as others have mentioned.

Started skiing three years ago. I am 6'5" 222# at 46 yrs. I did not think I had the ability to ski but because my kids were skiing I thought I better try. Well started with a a HO Magnum 72". Out grew that ski in few weeks. That same year I picked up HO Triumph 72". Was on that ski for the remainder of the year. Well at the end of last year I was surfing at Radar outlet. They had Senate for $100.00 could not urn it down. Rode it all this year and I did enjoy the ski. Only thing I did not like was you could either catch the edge and go like hell or not catching it. Just did not like the turns. My buddy that skis with me said keep working it. He has been skiing for years. Na well looked hard at D3 X7 and picked it up at end of season. I think I was able to get 6 sets on it. Wow it is amazing for me. Never thought I could ski this way so soon. The ski just turns so smooth. This ski I am sure will last me for sometime now. Anxious to ride it next year. Advice do not be afraid of that higher end ski. It will make it more enjoyable. Go ski it again.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok....ski has been purchased.

I lost out on a deal on a Senate. Ended up with an HO Coefficient X. Got a great deal on the used market. I'm going to fit it with some bindings this winter and see what it has to offer this season. If I hate it and don't feel comfortable with it, I'm going to demo a few skis and get something different.