Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bayliner Tournament Ski Boat

mattm

We have one at our lake and it looks like ot performs as a tow tractor fairly well. The guys that ski behind it are pretty impressive to watch! Outside of that......well it is a ski boat! It shouldn't have to do anything else.

Wow do I feel old. Bayliner Ski Challenger - Wide before it's time, actually had a flat ski wake and the rest was the Bayliner of its time. (1989) '89 seemed to be the year of it's realm, but they tried to bring the boat back at least twice since with less success than the first time.

Sea Ray on the other hand made the Ski Ray in both and inboard and an outboard version. I believe the Ski Challenger production was longer than the Ski Ray, but I could be wrong on that.

I've taken Ski Ray's on trade. The Challenger on the other hand was a challenge...

Peter

My parents have a Ski Challenger, it is the main boat I ski behind as it is stored right next to the lake. It does a decent job, but after skiing behind some newer boats (21xti, CC196) I am less impressed. It is apparent that build quality is cheaper and ski wake for longer line/slower speed skiers could be better.

They also made a Wake Challenger too. One of the local pro riders down in TriCities, WA owned one. The interior left a lot to be desired, but the wake was really good at the time. Looked a lot like The MC Maristar of the time (mid 90s). In fact, I believe the parent company owned Bayliner, MC & SeaRay, along with quite a few other companies. Maybe there was some collaboration between MC & Bayliner at the time? :unsure:

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

They also made a Wake Challenger too. One of the local pro riders down in TriCities, WA owned one. The interior left a lot to be desired, but the wake was really good at the time. Looked a lot like The MC Maristar of the time (mid 90s). In fact, I believe the parent company owned Bayliner, MC & SeaRay, along with quite a few other companies. Maybe there was some collaboration between MC & Bayliner at the time? :unsure:

We have one of those just down the beach from us. I never knew what it was til now.

Edited by 2004WakeSetterVLX

Wow do I feel old. Bayliner Ski Challenger - Wide before it's time, actually had a flat ski wake and the rest was the Bayliner of its time. (1989) '89 seemed to be the year of it's realm, but they tried to bring the boat back at least twice since with less success than the first time.

Sea Ray on the other hand made the Ski Ray in both and inboard and an outboard version. I believe the Ski Challenger production was longer than the Ski Ray, but I could be wrong on that.

I've taken Ski Ray's on trade. The Challenger on the other hand was a challenge...

Peter

Don't feel too old. I had totally forgotten about the Bayliner until this thread. I remember seeing one at the San Francisco boat show back in the really early 90's.

I owned a 97 wake challenger. I had 2500# of hidden ballast and the wake was pretty darn good for being old-cheap and a bayliner. Looks exactly like the old mastercrafts. They actually still make the boat in Australia, rumor is they bought the mold. One of my ex-pro wakeboard buddies loved the wake. The interior was well setup and it was a true v-drive which helped. I sold it and made a few bucks on it as well.

Edited by duffymahoney

I've had one of these since 1999. I bought my 01 response to replace it this year. I havent been able to sell it yet although the market up here isnt great in general for inboards. My response has only worked for 10 hrs this year. The Challenger has never failed me. I have no repairs other than regular upkeep on it. The wake on it is miles above the 1987 - 1990 mastercrafts, there is a bump at 22 off, spray issue at 35 off and shorter as with all of the boats of this era. Otherwise it is an amazing ski boat, I would take it over the same year mastercrafts. I think they were made from 1988 - 1991. They were USAW tournament approved 90 -91. I have run 35 off behind it serveral times. It turns on a dime and does great power turns if you like that kind of thing, they are horrible in rough water though, just pounds you. Fortunately I'm on a small lake. The boat is made cheaper than the rest, but it waas marketed as a discount boat like the moombas! Anyone interested in it let me know. My mechanic and Indmar still cant figure out whats wrong with the response, been since june. So unitl the bu is fixed i will be using the challenger, no regrets about buying it.

My mechanic and Indmar still cant figure out whats wrong with the response, been since june. So unitl the bu is fixed i will be using the challenger, no regrets about buying it.

Fred, what's the symptoms/issues?

Peter

Fred, what's the symptoms/issues?

Peter

When the boat is warm under load, it looses all power like its going into limp mode except its not in limp mode, not throwing any codes, already changed the ecm with no success, fuel pressure is good. If you let it sit, it runs fine, then does it again. Also maybe unrelated but when the boat is running, my mechanic cannot read the computer with his scan tool. INdmar has no answers for this and ive now had a boat for 6 months, and have only gotten 10 hrs.

Never knew that existed :crazy: Bayliner a skiboat?? Guess I can go back to bed now I have learned something new for today :thumbup:

Ski Challenger (Direct Drive) and Wake Challenger (V-Drive) only made for 2 years.

We just had a wake challenger in the shop a few days ago, to be honest its not a horrible boat. Sure beats a nerd drive!

-Paul

You have to be a paying member to post pics here. CLick Subscribe at the top.

Or go open a Photobucket.com accouint. Post your pics there. Copy the link. And then use the Insert Image button picture.png to paste the link to the pic.