Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Confused?

Escondido

I have been comparing boats and looking for something in the 20-22 range (boat house limit) that is good for everything and can grow with us. It seems like the 21 LSV fit our needs. We ski(for fun), tube and cruise but are starting to pick-up the wakeboard. But the dealer at the show was pushing towards the VLX.

Is there a difference between the VLX and the LSV other than the hull? I thought I had a handle on this until I read a previous forum about ordering the VLX with the diamond hull. Was that because of the ballast system?

I must say, when we went to the boat show Malibu was not at the top of our list but after the show it ranked very high based on the comfort and features. Very nice, I liked it much better than the CC. I am a little turned off by the carpet though. It looks very old school. I preferred the cleaner look of some of the others in this regard and that was probably helped by the molded seats vs the separate construction for the Malibu which is wrapped in carpet. Why does Malibu use the method with the brackets instead of the formed deck?

One other question, Mirror? On the VLX it is attatched to the pass through part of the windshield which we almost always have open. Are there other options other than the aftermarket ones that scratch the molding and never want to stay tight? Can you see it well enough when it is open, I am assuming it can be reversed in the bracket when the window is open.

Anyway, thanks for the help. Very impressed by the Malibu. Still need to do some test driving but I am leaning that way. Upgrading from an I/O so I was starting from scratch on my search in terms of brand biases.

First off Welcome.gif to the site!!!

The differece between the VLX and the LSV are the hull as you stated. The LSV hull will be better for skiing and slightly worse for wakeboarding. It will still give you a great wake but it won't be as great as the VLX. The LSV according to the hull chart is 100lbs. less then the VLX but has a capacity to hold 1 more person...not that big of a deal. The big differences in these two boats is the options vs. whats standard. You can get a tower mirror that attaches to the tower and is very solid. I don't know what kind of ballast options you can get with the LSV but I know someone on here will answer that question.

Welcome to the site!

Is there a difference between the VLX and the LSV other than the hull? I thought I had a handle on this until I read a previous forum about ordering the VLX with the diamond hull. Was that because of the ballast system?

That's the biggest thing, is the ability to get that ballast under the floor. On the Sunscapes that you're looking at, this isn't available. Also, you get other things standard like the Tower, etc. So by ordering the VLX on the Diamond hull, you get the best of both worlds. It sounds like you're pretty educated on the Diamond hull vs. Wake hull, so I won't go into that (although rest assured that someone else probably will :)).

One other question, Mirror? On the VLX it is attatched to the pass through part of the windshield which we almost always have open. Are there other options other than the aftermarket ones that scratch the molding and never want to stay tight? Can you see it well enough when it is open, I am assuming it can be reversed in the bracket when the window is open.

You can get mirror arms that come off of the tower & put the mirror above the windshield in front of the driver. Up until very recently they were only available for towers that have forward legs, but Samson is coming out with one for the Illusion X, so you won't be constrained by that when making your choice on the tower.

I can't speak to the "why" as far as how Malibu builds their boats the way they do. Every boat manufacturer has their own techniques & they will all tell you that their way is the best. It's really a matter of opinion, IMO. :) The Big 3 all make great boats - how they do it & which way is best really may be splitting hairs. So drive it & make your judgement based on that.

Edited by WakeGirl

I demoed the VLX diamond hull. Great ski wake and wakeboard wake. Better then what I'm used to anyway. I was out in the Nautique 211 and 210 on Monday. Leaning towards the VLX.

Welcome to the site!

FWIW, the mirror on my VLX is mounted on the outermost corner of the driverside windshield as opposed to the walkthrough for just that reason - we often leave it open. It works GREAT in that postion.

For me it was no question - I'm a wakeboarder and thus wanted the VLX :)

Again Welcome!

JZ

Welcome to the site and I was in your shoes exactly one year ago. I went looking for a good ski and mainly family boat. I considered myself a very average waterskier that dabbled with wakeboarding once in a while.

I grew up skiing behind every piece of crap imaginable so I was not spoiled with a perfect ski wake. When I checked out the difference it was a no brainer for me. The VLX is like a stationwagon. It is a utility vehicle, I still slalom behind mine, we tube, wake board, wake surf and my 4 & 6 year olds both learned to ski behind it.

I am so glad that I have the ability to have a kick-a$$ wakeboard boat and a pretty good ski boat in one package. My vote go VLX all the way, unless you are a competitive skier (which if you were you would be looking at either boat).

Good Luck,

Joe

That's the biggest thing, is the ability to get that ballast under the floor. On the Sunscapes that you're looking at, this isn't available. Also, you get other things standard like the Tower, etc. So by ordering the VLX on the Diamond hull, you get the best of both worlds. It sounds like you're pretty educated on the Diamond hull vs. Wake hull, so I won't go into that (although rest assured that someone else probably will :)).

I'll have to second what WakeGirl said under the floor would be so nice. We have had our sunscape which we turned into a VLX for 2 years. The side compartments just aren't that big in a 21' after you put the hard tanks in. If you decide to go the LSV route I would have the factory add all the plumbing and leave out the hard tanks and then add Bags once you get it.

I think the LSV fit perfect for us at the time because we have younger kids and I feel that the wake behind it is less intimidating then the VLX.

Mirror on the Tower is the way to go.

I've always wondered when we sell it how confused it will make a buyer when they go to research it because on the Nameplate it is actually listed as a Sunscape VLX.

Welcome to the site and I was in your shoes exactly one year ago. I went looking for a good ski and mainly family boat. I considered myself a very average waterskier that dabbled with wakeboarding once in a while.

I grew up skiing behind every piece of crap imaginable so I was not spoiled with a perfect ski wake. When I checked out the difference it was a no brainer for me. The VLX is like a stationwagon. It is a utility vehicle, I still slalom behind mine, we tube, wake board, wake surf and my 4 & 6 year olds both learned to ski behind it.

I am so glad that I have the ability to have a kick-a$$ wakeboard boat and a pretty good ski boat in one package. My vote go VLX all the way, unless you are a competitive skier (which if you were you would be looking at either boat).

Good Luck,

Joe

This is exactly what I would have said, but Joe said it. We love our '05 VLX and my wife and kids dream about wakeboarding and surfing in the spring... I'm the only one who still pulls out the ski from time to time.