Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Response

1985Skier

Response  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Which Malibu Response would you buy?

• LX
    • LXi
    • TXi
    • FXi

Hey gang,

I was just wondering what other people think about the Malibu response options and differences. I do not really fully understand the differences in each of these models and do not know the pro's and con's to each model. Any insight or knowledge to this would be awesome! Thanks crew!

Thought the TXI replaced the LXI in the lineup, is that not correct? I'm guesing that you meant the question to be more like "Which NEW Response would you buy if you were buying a new one?"

Edited by ed obermeier

After getting behind a 20LSV/VTX 3D I am not sure why the Fxi existed. However I am starting to wish I went with the Fxi. The higher freeboard would be nice now that we have kids. Unfortunately the LXI and now TXI is just too nice to pass up.

O' contare. The RLX isn't going anywhere, just like the Response (closed bow). Those boats are such a good value they are finally back in the 2012 brochure to let people know that Malibu has never stopped building them! :) :)

The TXi simply replaces the Lxi. (And does so quite nicely I might add)

FXi is no longer made.

...and I'll still buy a Response :)

Peter

Just depends on your needs and the size of the crew you take out. If you are shortline skiiing with two buddies the closed bow Response will take care of you all day long. With a bigger crew, or a family, you may like the extra room of the open bow. We have an '11 RLXI and love the extra space and versitility (power wedge can kick up a wakeboard or surf wake) without sacrificing anything from a slalom perspective. Last summer we were out with our family of four and and another family of four and were still able to slalom with no major wake deterioration.

Whichever one you get you're going to love it.

O' contare. The RLX isn't going anywhere, just like the Response (closed bow). Those boats are such a good value they are finally back in the 2012 brochure to let people know that Malibu has never stopped building them! :) :)

The TXi simply replaces the Lxi. (And does so quite nicely I might add)

FXi is no longer made.

...and I'll still buy a Response :)

Peter

Glad they are finally putting them back in the brochure. Makes it easier to resell them. Ski team been getting them for years. Great boat.

Glad they are finally putting them back in the brochure. Makes it easier to resell them. Ski team been getting them for years. Great boat.

I've harped on them for years to simply put it back into the brochure and make the RLX a ride type series i.e. much less expensive to the RLXI and market it to folks who want a pure true and tried slalom sled w/o compromise of any kind.

So my choice would be the RLX if I strictly ran the course, for other choices on say an open lake my choice would be different....but the RLX is all I need.

Giving some love to the FXI because I own one, but man that's a tough call. Our previous boat was the RLX and it's a fantastic boat. Adding kids to the family brought on the need for a little more room/freeboard, but I didn't want a V-drive. The FXI skis great, with a slightly larger, firmer wake than the RLX. With the Wedge, they both create a respectable wakeboard wake, too. Since the FXI isn't available anymore, I'd say the TXI would get the vote if I was buying new again (but I suppose I'd have to ski a VTX with a diamond hull before I pulled the trigger).

would be good to modify this to include

03-06 LXI

07-11 LXI

because we all know they are totally different beasts.

TXI all the way going off what ive seen and heard. A soft pull these days means a bigger boat, more power, harder to slow down = less ZO RPM input. Therefore, ZO has to hit you harder in a LX to hold that same speed = harder pull. totally opposite to PP classic days!