Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2002 Wakesetter 23XTI

All:

Just picked up my 1st Malibu today. 2002 Wakesetter 23XTI. We got it on the lake today and I noticed that after about 30 minutes of test driving there was a constant beeping sound, the temp gauge increased, and the engine seemed like it was going to stall. I am relatively new to the boating world and especially inboards. I plan on taking the boat back to the dealer but I also need to know what it is as well for the furture. I was thinking it could be the impeller not cooling the engine or maybe the intake. Can the crew give me some help?

Thanks and sorry for being so ignorant.

All:

Just picked up my 1st Malibu today. 2002 Wakesetter 23XTI. We got it on the lake today and I noticed that after about 30 minutes of test driving there was a constant beeping sound, the temp gauge increased, and the engine seemed like it was going to stall. I am relatively new to the boating world and especially inboards. I plan on taking the boat back to the dealer but I also need to know what it is as well for the furture. I was thinking it could be the impeller not cooling the engine or maybe the intake. Can the crew give me some help?

Thanks and sorry for being so ignorant.

My guess definately the impeller,I would suggest buying one and keeping an extra on board cheap insurance. They are a quick and easy fix especially on the xti.

About 180 to 200. As soon as we heard the beeping we would stop the boat or sometimes the boat would slow down automatically. What do you think?

I doubt any damage to engine at 200 or below, reference a Chevy truck runs 210 all day long, the alarm and possibly the slow down was computer over ride. Most cooling problems are impeller related, search the forum for overheating, lots of good info

If it is indeed your impeller, be sure to check your transmission cooler for pieces of broken impeller too. The transmission cooler is cylindrical shaped and located inline after the impeller housing. It has a honeycomb pattern inside that can get blocked by pieces of impeller.

Thanks will do. I am working on it right now. Just started. Thanks everyone for the help. Love this site.

If you bought it from a dealer, didn't they help you out or take care of the problem?

Sorry you had a problem - i have the same boat so if I can help, just let me know. Good luck!

-- Mike

Yeah, I bought it from the dealer. I was going to take the boat back to the dealer but after I read some the threads and your guys advice, I didn't feel I needed them because it seemed pretty easy to fix. They are 3 hours round trip and I just don't have that much time to go there and back twice. The dealer has been awesome though. They said feel free to check the impeller and cooler, and my warranty would stay in affect. There is only 15 days left. Which I did, the impeller was shot and there was pieces of impeller in the hoses. Pretty much just like REDRUM said. I loved working on it myself. We are going to take the boat out this weekend and give it a whirl. If there is any other issues, I will let you know.

Just out of curiosity, could the thermostat cause the overheating as well?

It is possible that the T-stat could be sticking too. It wouldn't hurt to replace that too while you are working on it, but I bet that the impeller was the #1 cause of your problem.

Where do you live that you are still boating? It's -13 here this morning :Doh:

Yeah, I bought it from the dealer. I was going to take the boat back to the dealer but after I read some the threads and your guys advice, I didn't feel I needed them because it seemed pretty easy to fix. They are 3 hours round trip and I just don't have that much time to go there and back twice. The dealer has been awesome though. They said feel free to check the impeller and cooler, and my warranty would stay in affect. There is only 15 days left. Which I did, the impeller was shot and there was pieces of impeller in the hoses. Pretty much just like REDRUM said. I loved working on it myself. We are going to take the boat out this weekend and give it a whirl. If there is any other issues, I will let you know.

Just out of curiosity, could the thermostat cause the overheating as well?

I'm with you - I like turning my own wrenches - however, if I bought the boat from a dealer and it didn't run I would plan on having them fix. Totally get the long round trip, though - that would be a pain.

Anyway, if you had a toasted impeller + pieces in the tranny cooler screen, I am 99% sure you will have fixed your problem! Let us know how she runs!

41 and rain here...nasty - enjoy southern Cali weather!!!

-- Mike

You mentioned that this is your first Malibu, don't know what your experiance is with inboards, so I will throw this out to you, don't let anyone run the motor out of the water without a fake lake or other water supply. It doesn't take long to wreck an impeller. Look around here for discussions of impellers and globe run dry impellers and you will find lots of stories.

Edited by Bozboat